Astro-Smarties
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am applying to do a foundation year in astrophysics/physics with astrophysics and so far i have decided to apply at Keele University, University of Leeds, University of Central Lancashire and Kent University. I am unsure which uni to choose as another option so if anybody has any ideas that would be great.

Also, if anybody has done a foundation year in physics/astrophysics, what was it like? And do you feel it fully prepared you for year 1 of your degree?

Thank-you.
Colinj451
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Depends on grades/subjects you've taken and if you're a mature student (for foundation)
But Leicester has strong astronomy course
Nottingham (Foundation)
Hull or Sussex (Foundation or BSc depends on grades)
Loughborough (Not sure)
Most likely others too
Keele surprises me as didn't seem to have astronomy content in physics course
Also most of UCLANs astronomy faculty are now at Hull so you may want to revisit that decision
Colinj451
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
http://www2.hull.ac.uk/science/milne-centre.aspx

The head of this and quite a lot of his team came from UCLAN so certainly some new money in hull for astrophysics
Astro-Smarties
Rep:
?
(Original post by Colinj451)
Depends on grades/subjects you've taken and if you're a mature student (for foundation)
But Leicester has strong astronomy course
Nottingham (Foundation)
Hull or Sussex (Foundation or BSc depends on grades)
Loughborough (Not sure)
Most likely others too
Keele surprises me as didn't seem to have astronomy content in physics course
Also most of UCLANs astronomy faculty are now at Hull so you may want to revisit that decision
Yeah, ive stayed at Leicester university when i went to senior space school and i wasn't keen on the place so i wasn't going to apply there for fear of not enjoying it there. I was maybe thinking about Nottingham as a 5th option but probably not Hull, ive visited Hull uni, too. Plus, for some reason my teachers have said I shouldn't go to Hull. Im not sure why, although one did say the same about Keele. And keele does an Astrophysics course so it does have some good content in. But im really keen on Kent at the minute as they do 'astronomy, space science and astrophysics' which sounds amazing. So UCLAN isn't a good option? I'll look into it more.
Thank-you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Colinj451
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
All I'd say is check who is still at UCLAN and what research and budget is there now as it's not the sort of thing that's widely advertised. They may have been replaced by now, but my daughter was distinctly unimpressed by campus and dept.
She's at Sussex now which is well worth a look.
Queen Mary's is also a shout for astrophysics too.
Depends on how you like the campus to feel
Astro-Smarties
Rep:
?
(Original post by Colinj451)
All I'd say is check who is still at UCLAN and what research and budget is there now as it's not the sort of thing that's widely advertised. They may have been replaced by now, but my daughter was distinctly unimpressed by campus and dept.
She's at Sussex now which is well worth a look.
Queen Mary's is also a shout for astrophysics too.
Depends on how you like the campus to feel
thank-you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (279)
33.94%
No (543)
66.06%

Watched Threads