Turn on thread page Beta

Which A level is harder physics or further maths? watch

ReputationRep:
    Question above^ Also what a level do you think is the hardest?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Question above^ Also what a level do you think is the hardest?
    Physics, if you gel with maths then it's 'easy' most of the time at A-level. Physics can be much more of a challenge and they can throw you into quite unknown areas (with a-levels in general there are a lot of 'unseen' problems but I think Physics takes it much further than maths does, where you can train yourself enough to be able to tackle unseen problems. Plus, I found practicals in science in general (having taken Physics/Chem at A-level) though I understand that has changed now.

Physics is just crazy and can really exhaust you - I remember the first few weeks, after 4 straight hours of Physics everyone would leave the class with blown minds, and understanding some quite abstract things can be quite difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Physics, if you gel with maths then it's 'easy' most of the time at A-level. Physics can be much more of a challenge and they can throw you into quite unknown areas (with a-levels in general there are a lot of 'unseen' problems but I think Physics takes it much further than maths does, where you can train yourself enough to be able to tackle unseen problems. Plus, I found practicals in science in general (having taken Physics/Chem at A-level) though I understand that has changed now.

Physics is just crazy and can really exhaust you - I remember the first few weeks, after 4 straight hours of Physics everyone would leave the class with blown minds, and understanding some quite abstract things can be quite difficult.
    Physics is easier if you're intelligent, by which I mean capable of understanding abstract ideas quickly and thinking for yourself.
    Maths is easier if you're knowledgeable, as in capable of memorizing large chunks of information and mindlessly regurgitating it on paper like a soulless machine.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Socratesfam)
    Physics is easier if you're intelligent, by which I mean capable of understanding abstract ideas quickly and thinking for yourself.
    Maths is easier if you're knowledgeable, as in capable of memorizing large chunks of information and mindlessly regurgitating it on paper like a soulless machine.
    Well said better than my answer.

ReputationRep:
    In my 6th form a bunch of people got below C in AS level physics (there were a few Us) whereas afaik nobody got below C in further maths. Physics did have a good few more people taking it though. I personally don't do either of them

This doesn't sound like a biased post at all
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    physics is death. maths is so much more fun and straightforward

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    physics is death. maths is so much more fun and straightforward
    What a levels are you taking?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What a levels are you taking?
    maths, geography and history. history is killing me right now but it's soooo good to gossip about the people in the past

ReputationRep:
    Further maths is harder and further maths is the hardest

ReputationRep:
    maths, geography and history. history is killing me right now but it's soooo good to gossip about the people in the past
    do you do a 4th option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    In my 6th form a bunch of people got below C in AS level physics (there were a few Us) whereas afaik nobody got below C in further maths. Physics did have a good few more people taking it though. I personally don't do either of them

This doesn't sound like a biased post at all
    LOL I don't even do STEM bro, I just know how it goes from associating with a lot of STEM nerds growing up and reading biographies of scientists.

Have you ever noticed that physicists are so much more creative and capable of eureka moments than mathematicians. Mathematicians are about 1000x times more rigorous, I'll give them that for sure, but in terms of novelty and ingenuity you're not topping a guy like Feynman or Witten. You need a singularly special mind to make the leaps of understanding required by physics, whereas most people could learn undergrad maths if they were properly instructed/motivated.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    do you do a 4th option?
    the fourth option is compulsory welsh bacc... it's stuff like skills, enterprise and business and ''real life'' things. but it does count as a grade, atleast to the welsh universities. so thats why i hestitated on taking the actual 4th option. what do you do?

ReputationRep:
    I do both further maths and physics and I can 100% assure you that physics is harder.

ReputationRep:
    I would say by far physics is much harder than further maths even more so if your teacher is useless

ReputationRep:
    LOL I don't even do STEM bro, I just know how it goes from associating with a lot of STEM nerds growing up and reading biographies of scientists.

Have you ever noticed that physicists are so much more creative and capable of eureka moments than mathematicians. Mathematicians are about 1000x times more rigorous, I'll give them that for sure, but in terms of novelty and ingenuity you're not topping a guy like Feynman or Witten. You need a singularly special mind to make the leaps of understanding required by physics, whereas most people could learn undergrad maths if they were properly instructed/motivated.
    Can't say it's something I've reeaaallly noticed, no. Then again most of the further maths people I know do physics as well as I don't really see these sorta subtle differences

ReputationRep:
    the fourth option is compulsory welsh bacc... it's stuff like skills, enterprise and business and ''real life'' things. but it does count as a grade, atleast to the welsh universities. so thats why i hestitated on taking the actual 4th option. what do you do?
    I will take biology chemistry maths physics i am considering of changing physics to further maths though.I hate chemistry i am only taking it to study medicine at university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Can't say it's something I've reeaaallly noticed, no. Then again most of the further maths people I know do physics as well as I don't really see these sorta subtle differences
    Maths is just too rigid and contingent on proof and logical progression to foster the same sort of creativity that physics does. The universe is just a lot more crazy and compelling than pure mathematics.

Of course the most creative academics are OG philosophers like me
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I will take biology chemistry maths physics i am considering of changing physics to further maths though.I hate chemistry i am only taking it to study medicine at university
    well we all have to do things we dont like :P maths was my 3rd option, wasnt even considering it, wanted to do french but french wasnt popular enough to run. i panicked all summer, i decided to start maths in summer to give me this push that i thought i needed. thank goodness i did cos now im flying through C1 and maths is now a relaxing lesson :hoppy:

if you hate revising for hours, do maths. i reckon physics require longer cos it has wordy questions, explaining questions, whereas maths is just a do it kind of exam and you just need 5 minutes a day

ReputationRep:
    Maths is just too rigid and contingent on proof and logical progression to foster the same sort of creativity that physics does. The universe is just a lot more crazy and compelling than pure mathematics.

Of course the most creative academics are OG philosophers like me
    Philosophers always seem to big themselves up. ****in Aristotle was sayin contemplation and philosophy was super important for the good life, Plato was saying the life of the philosopher was the way of getting closer to the forms or some such bs... can they chill

- a philosopher

ReputationRep:
    To me, FM was much harder than physics for the following reasons. Physics is, conceptually, harder; the questions require more thought and, for lack of a better word, intelligence. However, in my physics exam last year I pretty much lost around 10-11 marks and still got a 100/100 ums. On further maths, I made a stupid fkn mistake in my mechanics and lost 4 marks to get 88/100 ums in that module. So physics was much easier in that sense, it gives you more space to err.
    Conceptually, though, physics requires original thought most of the time. There are standard questions that guarantees you a high B or a low A, but to get the A* you need to be able think well.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.