Turn on thread page Beta

Convince me that abortion isn't wrong in many cases watch

I consider myself to be very liberal socially and I would consider myself to be quite left wing. I fully support LGBT rights, women's rights, I hate racism etc. but the one thing that, no matter how hard I try because it's just so apparent that to be against it is horrific, is abortion. And I feel so so pressured into changing my opinion.
    And I would like to point out that this is not based on religious belief, which appears to be a go-to argument for most pro-choice people. I am secular.
    To me, it is simply killing a human being because your convenience is more important than that child's rights. I am one of the ones who takes exception when the health of the mother or child is at risk, and when the mother has been raped (this almost always leads to the aforementioned whether physically or mentally). However, I would look at each case individually. The case of somebody going out, sleeping with someone for their own pleasure, forgetting contraception and becoming pregnant then going to abort the child, because it would be inconvenient, and, I think shockingly, whether the father cares or not, is disgusting to me as a person. I just DO NOT UNDERSTAND why it's ME who is sickeningly immoral and vile for thinking that. I hear the excuses and to them I say this - any life is better than no life. You have robbed a living thing of the greatest gift in the universe, to live as a human being. And if you're so convinced you can't provide a worthy life, give it up for adoption! It is your mistake and you have to face the consequences.
    Now, I often think about the fact that perhaps using contraception/masturbation is just as bad. But I don't think so for a few reasons. Masturbation is how you discover yourself sexually and it's part of life. Contraception exists so that you can further this sexual discovery, and if/when the time is right, choose to have a child. When you disregard this through your own foolishness or selfishness, you have a responsibility for somebody now. To KILL it to make things easier is, to me, selfish and immoral. That's not substance or tissue it's a PERSON.

What am I missing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I consider myself to be very liberal socially and I would consider myself to be quite left wing. I fully support LGBT rights, women's rights, I hate racism etc. but the one thing that, no matter how hard I try because it's just so apparent that to be against it is horrific, is abortion. And I feel so so pressured into changing my opinion.
    And I would like to point out that this is not based on religious belief, which appears to be a go-to argument for most pro-choice people. I am secular.
    To me, it is simply killing a human being because your convenience is more important than that child's rights. I am one of the ones who takes exception when the health of the mother or child is at risk, and when the mother has been raped (this almost always leads to the aforementioned whether physically or mentally). However, I would look at each case individually. The case of somebody going out, sleeping with someone for their own pleasure, forgetting contraception and becoming pregnant then going to abort the child, because it would be inconvenient, and, I think shockingly, whether the father cares or not, is disgusting to me as a person. I just DO NOT UNDERSTAND why it's ME who is sickeningly immoral and vile for thinking that. I hear the excuses and to them I say this - any life is better than no life. You have robbed a living thing of the greatest gift in the universe, to live as a human being. And if you're so convinced you can't provide a worthy life, give it up for adoption! It is your mistake and you have to face the consequences.
    Now, I often think about the fact that perhaps using contraception/masturbation is just as bad. But I don't think so for a few reasons. Masturbation is how you discover yourself sexually and it's part of life. Contraception exists so that you can further this sexual discovery, and if/when the time is right, choose to have a child. When you disregard this through your own foolishness or selfishness, you have a responsibility for somebody now. To KILL it to make things easier is, to me, selfish and immoral. That's not substance or tissue it's a PERSON.

What am I missing?
    Would you want to be an UNWANTED kid?

(Original post by Ciel.)
    Any life is better than none. And adoption is an option.

ReputationRep:
    Any life is better than none. And adoption is an option.
    If this is what you really think, then no argument will ever convince you, making the whole thread pointless. Some people believe it's better not to be alive, than to suffer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    I was unwanted or unplanned as my mum would say. I don't care. I'm just grateful to be alive.

ReputationRep:
    Convince me that murdering innocent babies and not giving them the opportunities to see the world and their own parents (although evil ones) isn't wrong in many cases. OK. It's satanically, diobolically and infernally right. Have you got the answer?

ReputationRep:
    Not this nonsense again.
    It's 2016 for goodness sake
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Not this nonsense again.
    Yeah it's 2016 and in 2016 anyone can express their opinions. Abortion should only be allowed in cases where the mothers life is threatened if continued.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you pressured into changing your opinions? Are you a doctor who deals with abortion? Probably not, so don't think too much about it.

Learn all the arguments and philosophies and come to your own conclusion. My conclusion is that it is on an individual basis.

So about the convenience case for someone who got drunk, I think they should be allowed to abort because having and raising a child will affect their whole life. I think you're making the "convenience" sound like such a little issue - but it's not.

"Society needs both parents and non-parents, both the work party and the home party. While raising children is the most important work most people will do, not everyone is cut out for parenthood. And, as many a childless teacher has proved, raising kids is not the only important contribution a person can make to their future." Virginia Postre

What's plucking your strings is the fact that your belief (I'm not saying you're right or wrong at this time) is that no matter how old the pregnancy is, it's still a human that could be given life; killing it is cruel. My argument is that it's not a human life until it's born. I still agree that it could have been given human life, but I think that if the mother/father aren't somewhat prepared, then the child should not suffer. Furthermore, the mother/father should be given heavy sanctions but that's just what I think. Such sanction includes lots of compulsory education and awareness sessions and perhaps other tangible things such as fines etc.

'Unwanted kid' is a weak argument. Perhaps unwanted in the lead up to your birth, but many parents will not continue to view you as such when alive, growing up. In fact, in many cases they'll be glad they didn't abort.
    And if they still aren't, you are still just unwanted by your parents. You will go on to live a life in which you mean a lot to many other people.

OP: I agree with your stance and I imagine many do. Complete, unrestrained abortion, legal in all cases and circumstances, is an extreme view, not mainstream.

Its not wrong because its not a person, it does not have a life and will not be aware that its aborted in many cases abortion happens early on, so the thing does not even resemble a person. I do not believe you are a person until you are born, so you are not killing by abortion as it was never alive in the first place or had a life.Its better to not live then having a terrible quality of life, some of these abortions happen because the "foetus" is really abnormal and would die soon after being born, might as well save that despair for the mother, it would be traumatising for a mother to be born with a child that has severe abnormalities.

ReputationRep:
    The case of somebody going out, sleeping with someone for their own pleasure, forgetting contraception and becoming pregnant then going to abort the child, because it would be inconvenient, and, I think shockingly, whether the father cares or not, is disgusting to me as a person.
    I am very pro-people making their own choices, so I was going to respectfully disagree with you and leave the thread without commenting.

However, the one thing I'd like to point out is that you don't seem to have considered the fact that contraception isn't always 100% effective. Condoms are 99% effective when used correctly, if I remember right from high school sex ed, but are often less effective than this in practise. Someone can have sex, and take all the precautions in the world, and still be unlucky enough to become pregnant.

I think whether you view abortion right or wrong personally is down to when you start viewing a fertilized egg as a human - and that's a personal opinion. It's okay to have your own opinions, but it's not okay to force them on others. You might not have an abortion (assuming you are female), but that doesn't mean you should take away the right of anyone to have one for whatever reason (I'm not saying you want to!).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

What am I missing?
    I can't fix stupidity, brah.

(Original post by loveire&song)
    I am very pro-people making their own choices, so I was going to respectfully disagree with you and leave the thread without commenting.

However, the one thing I'd like to point out is that you don't seem to have considered the fact that contraception isn't always 100% effective. Condoms are 99% effective when used correctly, if I remember right from high school sex ed, but are often less effective than this in practise. Someone can have sex, and take all the precautions in the world, and still be unlucky enough to become pregnant.

I think whether you view abortion right or wrong personally is down to when you start viewing a fertilized egg as a human - and that's a personal opinion. It's okay to have your own opinions, but it's not okay to force them on others. You might not have an abortion (assuming you are female), but that doesn't mean you should take away the right of anyone to have one for whatever reason (I'm not saying you want to!).
    I'm not forcing my opinions on anyone I merely stated them in the view that they may be discussed/possibly changed.

Not this nonsense again.
    I'd appreciate it if you would make some effort to understand, discuss or argue rather than just leaving self-righteous and presumptuous comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metalfros)
    Yeah it's 2016 and in 2016 anyone can express their opinions. Abortion should only be allowed in cases where the mothers life is threatened if continued.
    There have been way too many threads about this, nobody ever comes to an agreement.

The fact of the matter is that women have the choice, and I certainly wouldn't be concerned about an online stranger telling me what I should do with my own body.

Its not wrong because its not a person, it does not have a life and will not be aware that its aborted in many cases abortion happens early on, so the thing does not even resemble a person. I do not believe you are a person until you are born, so you are not killing by abortion as it was never alive in the first place or had a life.Its better to not live then having a terrible quality of life, some of these abortions happen because the "foetus" is really abnormal and would die soon after being born, might as well save that despair for the mother, it would be traumatising for a mother to be born with a child that has severe abnormalities.
    But if you killed a newborn it wouldn't be aware and that surely can't be okay?

ReputationRep:
    I'd appreciate it if you would make some effort to understand, discuss or argue rather than just leaving self-righteous and presumptuous comments.
    If it isn't already clear, I'm pro choice

ReputationRep:
    I'm not forcing my opinions on anyone I merely stated them in the view that they may be discussed/possibly changed.
    Did you read my post...?
    I didn't say you did want to force your opinions on anyone else; I literally said "I'm not saying you want to"
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    There have been way too many threads about this, nobody ever comes to an agreement.

The fact of the matter is that women have the choice, and I certainly wouldn't be concerned about an online stranger telling me what I should do with my own body.
    No you shouldn't be and that is exactly the reason I try to stay away as much as possible from the shitshow discussions on TSR.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.