Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pharmgirl)
    You see that's still discriminatory, as "middle aged" people are still just as capable of having a good time, getting drunk, having a laugh and other traditionally studenty things as someone of 21......what would constitute middle aged? At 34 I'm older than a 21 year old but I'm far to daft and free spirited to act "middle aged" (think Bridget Jones). However there are some 21 year olds on here that mention marriage, babies and settling down in the suburbs in every post. I think these days more than ever it is impossible to judge someone's personality or aspirations by their age.
    No it isn't. It's common to call a someone in their 40s mature. My mother is in her 50s and she calls herself mature. People age (and so become mature in age even if not in personality). But I think it's unfair to young people (20s and 30s) to be called a mature student as it puts them in the same category. There is not a big difference between 21 and 18. I’m in my 20s so I don’t see why I should be called a mature student.

ReputationRep:
    Its hard for anyone to judge when we are "mature" which means at least one group of people are being discriminated against!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eubacterium)
    No it isn't. It's common to call a someone in their 40s mature. My mother is in her 50s and she calls herself mature. People age (and so become mature in age even if not in personality). But I think it's unfair to young people (20s and 30s) to be called a mature student as it puts them in the same category. There is not a big difference between 21 and 18. I’m in my 20s so I don’t see why I should be called a mature student.

So what age do you consider to be mature then?

ReputationRep:
    There must have been a high level cabinet meeting once in the Govt and they said .. right whats Mature .. someone sid 21 and bingo

ReputationRep:
    Could someone give me an example of how 'mature' students are actually discriminated against? As far as I can make out I will get all the same rights as all the other students at the university so am confused as to where I am being marginalised.:confused:

If its just because it makes you feel old then that isn't really discrimination. You know you're not old and boring so just get on with enjoying yourselves and forget about it!!

ReputationRep:
    It is illegal in the UK to us any form of advertising that is AGEIST and this is AGEISM so YES it does mean that its indriect discrimination because you have a label that you didnt ask for ... why not just call us all students ...

Why doesnt this forum have a Mature and a YOUNG students forum

ReputationRep:
    advertising? how is it ageist? there is nothing to stop you using the whole forum, this is just somewhere that older students can discuss issues that might not affect students entering uni at 18.. ie access courses, issues regarding whether we can fit in (which we can, of course).. there is a forum for international students too - would you consider that racist?

edit:- haha, I've just realised it doesn't (************ does, I got confused!) it does have one for disabled students though.. its only recognition of the fact that there are group of students who face similar fears/queries/backgrounds and helping to make the answers easier to find for those that want them.

ReputationRep:
    Because it makes a distinction between two groups of people and is decided by someones age and that therefore makes it AGEIST .... AGEIST obviously referring to a persons age and if its decided that you are mature at 21 then iss age targetted

Who was talking about the forum lol .. I am talking about one subject so lets keep it to that subject . I am sure if you want to start a topic on racism that you can go and start one

ReputationRep:
    you talked about the forum.. you brought it up above :confused:

everything makes a distinctions between groups of people - I really don't understand what it is that upsets you.. do you deny being older than the majority of students? once you're in the classes you won't get pointed at and called 'the mature student'. I consider discrimination to be where a label has an affect on how a person is treated.

ReputationRep:
    Forums are for debate thats why I posted.. doesnt bother me age if you read what I said I just asked Is it discrimination so it could be discussed

It seems to upset you more than it upsets me lol ..

I can be called what I want lol ...

Forums are for discussion so welcome to forum life

ReputationRep:
    You're only as old as you feel, I am constantly being told. At the moment, I'm 22 years old. Yet I look about 30 and feel about 80. God knows what kind of student that is going to make me.
    (Original post by devils_nose)
    Could someone give me an example of how 'mature' students are actually discriminated against?
    I can't really see how they are, bar the negative connotations of the term "mature student".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeedsLad)
    I just asked Is it discrimination
    Fair enough - In that case, I think not (just incase there was any doubt)

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why people think there are negative connotation with the term 'mature' student? If anything, I've found being known as a 'mature student' to have nothing but positive connotations - better housing, better relationships with tutors, the assumption that you're a more dedicated student and you're more likely to get better grades ...

If there are any negative connotations then they tend to come from the 18 yr olds, who haven't quite matured enough yet to see that people older than them are still human lol. But there's no 'official' discrimination - I was never barred from anything at uni and if anything, I got more money off the government because I was older. If that's discrimination then bring it on lol. Uni is about looking past the labels - people who are getting hung up about being a 'mature' student (or don't want to associate with the mature students) maybe haven't reached that point yet ...

There is also the unavoidable fact that a lot of mature students DO have different responsibilites and priorities at uni. Of course a lot don't, but many do and if a label helps those priorities to be recognised and met then what's the problem? Certainly at my uni (which has over 33% mature students) it was fairly unusual to be a single mature student with the same financial/social situation as the 'young' students. The vast majority had families, partners, jobs and responsibilities and occasionally allowances had to be made for that. It would be ridiculous for the uni to ignore this just because a minority of students get hung up on a label.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargalaxy)
    You're only as old as you feel, I am constantly being told. At the moment, I'm 22 years old. Yet I look about 30 and feel about 80. God knows what kind of student that is going to make me. I can't really see how they are, bar the negative connotations of the term "mature student".
    Blimey you are in trouble then lol ... you will be the "mature" one on your course whereas I have gone backwards with age and am currently 24

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paeony)
    I don't understand why people think there are negative connotation with the term 'mature' student? If anything, I've found being known as a 'mature student' to have nothing but positive connotations - better housing, better relationships with tutors, the assumption that you're a more dedicated student and you're more likely to get better grades ...

If there are any negative connotations then they tend to come from the 18 yr olds, who haven't quite matured enough yet to see that people older than them are still human lol. But there's no 'official' discrimination - I was never barred from anything at uni and if anything, I got more money off the government because I was older. If that's discrimination then bring it on lol. Uni is about looking past the labels - people who are getting hung up on being a 'mature' student maybe haven't reached that point yet ...

There is also the unavoidable fact that a lot of mature students DO have different responsibilites and priorities at uni. Of course a lot don't, but many do and if a label helps those priorities to be recognised and met then what's the problem? Certainly at my uni (which has over 33% mature students) it was fairly unusual to be a single mature student. The vast majority had families and partners and occasionally allowances had to be made for that. It would be ridiculous for the uni to ignore this just because a minority of students get hung up on a label.
    If its not about labels why give a different name to students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devils_nose)
    Fair enough - In that case, I think not (just incase there was any doubt)
    Praise the lord

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeedsLad)
    If its not about labels why give a different name to students
    Re-read my post - I didn't say it's not about labels, I said it's not about fixating on a label just so that you've got something to bang a drum about. Seriously, if what you're called is all you're worried about then you've got some serious growing up to do. Everyone is labelled to some extent - male, female, black, white, old, young, fat, thin etc etc - it's a human trait to do so. In some cases, as with the case of mature students, people are 'labelled' in this way because it's important to both them and the university - both you and the uni get more money because you're going there as an 'atypical' student. Therefore, in that respect, it's important. To all other intents and purposes though, it's not a label that's important to you personally unless, as I said, you've got nothing better to bother about.

Also, being called a 'student' is, in many ways, one of the most negative labels that you can ever acquire. While that may not be important at 18, I'm nearly 30 and if being called a 'mature' student means that I can negate some of the effects of that label (see my previous posts re: housing and jobs) then I don't care in the slightest bit.

ReputationRep:
    Re-read you own post

t would be ridiculous for the uni to ignore this just because a minority of students get hung up on a label.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paeony)
    Re-read my post - I didn't say it's not about labels, I said it's not about fixating on a label just so that you've got something to bang a drum about. Seriously, if what you're called is all you're worried about then you've got some serious growing up to do. Everyone is labelled to some extent - male, female, black, white, old, young, fat, thin etc etc - it's a human trait to do so. In some cases, as with the case of mature students, people are 'labelled' in this way because it's important to both them and the university - both you and the uni get more money because you're going there as an 'atypical' student. Therefore, in that respect, it's important. To all other intents and purposes though, it's not a label that's important to you personally unless, as I said, you've got nothing better to bother about.

Also, being called a 'student' is, in many ways, one of the most negative labels that you can ever acquire. While that may not be important at 18, I'm nearly 30 and if being called a 'mature' student means that I can negate some of the effects of that label (see my previous posts re: housing and jobs) then I don't care in the slightest bit.
    I suggest you read my first post again

Does it say that I am bothered about it or did I just ask the question .... some people cant read can they

I love a debate

ReputationRep:
    Being a mature student (over 21 when you are to start your course) can be an advantage in terms of getting admitted to courses, so it's not all bad.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.