Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think that the word "mature student is discriminate" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Since I've just graduated with a first, I can read lol. Also, looking at your first post and your title for this thread, it's 'discriminatory' or 'discrimination', not 'discriminate'. Some people can't use words, can they ...

And my post was not mentioning you personally - to me, having a label that is given to me by an external force isn't important, as I don't let it affect my behaviour or prospects.

Oh, and I think you misunderstood the line you quoted in bold - I said that in many cases, there is a difference between someone who goes to uni after the age of 21 and someone who goes at 18. Therefore, the uni must take this into account, and it would be ridiculous of the uni to ignore these differences just because some students don't like a label which is simply there for administration purposes. What you make of being a 'mature student' is your own issue, not the unis because all they care about is the financial aspect. I don't see why you highlighted this, it was explained perfectly well and wasn't contradicting anything I said previously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paeony)
    I don't understand why people think there are negative connotation with the term 'mature' student? If anything, I've found being known as a 'mature student' to have nothing but positive connotations - better housing, better relationships with tutors, the assumption that you're a more dedicated student and you're more likely to get better grades ...
    Really good point.. my status as a mature student has given me access to grants and bursaries I wouldn't have gotten when I was 18 and also got me offers from great unis that I don't actually have the entry requirements for

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be a lot of post-grads on here calling themselves mature students. There is a massive difference as there is no stigma or accepted age associated with starting a higher degree, whereas there is if you are an undergrad not starting at 18. I started my masters at 22 and my PhD at 23but this is the first time I've felt a bit scared- simply because I am now about to do another undergrad and I'm not 18.
    EDIT: And I got diddly squat for being a mature student.

ReputationRep:
    Having a first means nothing lol ... I have an MBE for services to charity work but it doesnt mean I am any better at reading ...

Must have touched a nerve "young un"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pharmgirl)
    There seems to be a lot of post-grads on here calling themselves mature students. There is a massive difference as there is no stigma or accepted age associated with starting a higher degree, whereas there is if you are an undergrad not starting at 18. I started my masters at 22 and my PhD at 23but this is the first time I've felt a bit scared- simply because I am now about to do another undergrad and I'm not 18.
    EDIT: And I got diddly squat for being a mature student.
    You can understand plain English though .. I guess thats something you learn as you get older

ReputationRep:
    I'm an undergraduate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeedsLad)
    Having a first means nothing lol ... I have an MBE for services to charity work but it doesnt mean I am any better at reading ...

Must have touched a nerve "young un"
    I'm 28, that's hardly young lol. And fair enough, to many people having a first means nothing but it means a great deal to me. I'm not entirely sure what your point is?

ReputationRep:
    Blimey you are in trouble then lol ... you will be the "mature" one on your course whereas I have gone backwards with age and am currently 24
    It depends which day of the week you catch me, though. On Mondays, I usually look about 25, which isn't too bad. Come Saturday, it's a different story. I think it's to do with my six-day working week - we shall see if MMU changes that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paeony)
    I'm 28, that's hardly young lol. And fair enough, to many people having a first means nothing but it means a great deal to me. I'm not entirely sure what your point is?
    My point is that you seem to use the fact that you have a first as some sort of tool lol ... well done for getting a first but it means diddlu squat to me mate .... and not reallly relevant to the thread really ...

And for the rest of us oldies its back to topic ...

Or we can always start a thread about what we have achieved in our lives .. I met the Queen in 96 lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargalaxy)
    It depends which day of the week you catch me, though. On Mondays, I usually look about 25, which isn't too bad. Come Saturday, it's a different story. I think it's to do with my six-day working week - we shall see if MMU changes that.
    Ah ur a young un mate you have all your own hair and teeth

ReputationRep:
    right firstly i don't have a problem at all being called a mature student and i believe they use the term because they see us as having more life experince outside of the education system.

It doesnt matter what age you are for anything im 22 and married with my own house and a husband who is 36 and hada heart attack 2 months ago where as some 40 year olds or older or younger what ever can be completly single and still live with their parents it makes no damn difference.

All "MATURE STUDENT" means is more life experience what is wrong with that?????

ReputationRep:
    Whats wrong with it is quiet obviously some people dont like it if you look through the posts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krazykaz)
    All "MATURE STUDENT" means is more life experience what is wrong with that?????
    Snap that's exactly how I feel. If anything i've experienced nothing but benefit from being a 'mature student'.

ReputationRep:
    I guess its swings and roundabouts.. some people won't want to be reminded that they are older than the majority of students, some don't like the fact that it conjures an image of someone boring, some know that 18 year olds are perfectly capable of seeing past a label and making their own minds up about whether a person is boring or not, and some just don't care what anyone else thinks about their age. All opinions perfectly valid.

None of the above solves the question of whether the term causes us 'oldies' to be treated differently though - jury still seems to be out, although I don't think anyone has yet come up with an example of anything but positive discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    Its not all positive and to be fair I dont know how many "young uns" have posted in here

To me quite obvioulsy some people dont like having a title and would much prefer to be the same as everyone else

ReputationRep:
    Its not all positive
    oh, isn't it? I don't recall anyone saying they had been treated negatively as a result of being a 'mature student'.. a few people declared it made them have negative feelings about being known as such. I think its a shame that it has that effect, especially at an exciting time when we are all about to plunge into the world of full-time education. Reckon after a few weeks we'll all feel like we've regressed a few years anyway I suppose the label is probably harder for the younger 'mature' students, being so much closer in age to the vast majority of freshers, I'm sure you will find it is not divisive when you get there though!! I'm quite tempted to lie about my age just to see if I can get away with it (doubtful)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devils_nose)
    oh, isn't it? I don't recall anyone saying they had been treated negatively as a result of being a 'mature student'..
    I suppose you didnt see the thread of a mature student not being invited to fresher's week :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    I suppose you didnt see the thread of a mature student not being invited to fresher's week :p:
    :p: I did, and I agree that is pretty horrible but its far from the norm and I'm holding on to a little bit of hope that it is a misunderstanding

ReputationRep:
    oh, isn't it? I don't recall anyone saying they had been treated negatively as a result of being a 'mature student'.. a few people declared it made them have negative feelings about being known as such. I think its a shame that it has that effect, especially at an exciting time when we are all about to plunge into the world of full-time education. Reckon after a few weeks we'll all feel like we've regressed a few years anyway I suppose the label is probably harder for the younger 'mature' students, being so much closer in age to the vast majority of freshers, I'm sure you will find it is not divisive when you get there though!! I'm quite tempted to lie about my age just to see if I can get away with it (doubtful)
    Good job I have asked to be the chair of the Mature Society lol .. reckon I will change the name to .... erm let me think maybe a poll

ReputationRep:
    :p: I did, and I agree that is pretty horrible but its far from the norm and I'm holding on to a little bit of hope that it is a misunderstanding
    Not a misunderstanding and its now gone to the Dean to be looked at

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.