The Student Room Group

A Level AQA Physics Particles Questions

I was looking through some of my lesson notes and came up with a couple of questions:

1. Why is it impossible to get a quark by itself? (is it just because pair production exists or is it something really obvious that I'm just not getting?)

2. Why can strange particles only be produced in pairs? (the textbook said conservation of strangeness but I don't get how that links)

Thank you so much in advance! How's everyone else managing A Level Physics? Totally struggling with it right now -_-
Reply 1
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
I was looking through some of my lesson notes and came up with a couple of questions:

1. Why is it impossible to get a quark by itself? (is it just because pair production exists or is it something really obvious that I'm just not getting?)

2. Why can strange particles only be produced in pairs? (the textbook said conservation of strangeness but I don't get how that links)

Thank you so much in advance! How's everyone else managing A Level Physics? Totally struggling with it right now -_-

1. This I believe is due to the strong nuclear force which increases as distance does, thus keeping everything together.

2. So if there was a particle with a strangeness before of +1, there would need to be a -1 after to make it equal to 0, so strangeness is conserved. Hence why two particles are paired, to conserve strangeness.

(I could be wrong, so anyone do correct me)

Quick Reply

Latest