Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a broadcast journalist, and study journalism at degree level.

I have got offers from Sheffield and NTU. They both want ABB, and I don't mind on location.

Sheffield - is prestigious, Russell group, known for journalism and the course is just "Journalism Studies" but there is an option of studying a broadcast module.

Nottingham Trent - is not as prestigious, not Russell group, known for journalism and the course is "Broadcast Journalism" - the course looks really fun here.

Which one do I choose? I understand they say choose what looks most fun, but does reputation matter and means I will have more of a chance of getting a better job? Also, is it better to do a general journalism course so my options aren't limited to just broadcast?

HELP. Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Here's my perspective:

Reputation means a lot less now a days. You make the course in Journalism. It's what you take out of it. If you won't enjoy it, then how can reputation help you? Do what feels right, you know the feel for the place you got if you have visited them. Only you can get yourself a better job, it's less about what Uni you went to, but more about what skills, attitude and portfolio you have.

My two-pence, I ditched NTU after their lack of knowledge, they couldn't even get into their own building on the open day. It just didn't feel right, feels like the place that just wants to fill up spaces in a massive uni. It may not be representative of what you feel.

Good Luck in making a decision!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your advice!😊

I think you're right, it definitely comes down to what you make of your degree rather than where you obtained the degree from.

What did you study at NTU? And where are you now?

ReputationRep:
    No problem. I just visited NTU on the Journalism open day this year, and had that pretty disappointing experience so I ditched them off my UCAS app. Other accredited courses are available and its worth looking around. I applied for 2017 start on Journalism at the following unis:
    - Falmouth University
    - Sunderland University
    - De Montfort University
    - Bournemouth University
    - University of Central Lancashire

Let me know how you get on!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Very biased (I am a final year journo student at Sheffield) but I could not recommend Sheffield more - it's a great name dropper for work experience and the course has been amazing. Only thing to consider is that it's not BJTC accredited anymore, but I'm not sure if NTU is? Uni of Leeds does a good broadcast journalism course (I think!) but unless you're 100% convinced you want to go into broadcast I'd recommend doing a less niche course for the time being. Sheffield has been amazing and has taught me so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgie_wbu)
    Hello! Very biased (I am a final year journo student at Sheffield) but I could not recommend Sheffield more - it's a great name dropper for work experience and the course has been amazing. Only thing to consider is that it's not BJTC accredited anymore, but I'm not sure if NTU is? Uni of Leeds does a good broadcast journalism course (I think!) but unless you're 100% convinced you want to go into broadcast I'd recommend doing a less niche course for the time being. Sheffield has been amazing and has taught me so much!
    Hi there! I just saw this and would love to get some extra information off you about University of Sheffield and their journalism course. I've applied to UoS for Journalism and it's in my top two choices, I absolutely love the city, I just don't know whether to put it as my firm or insurance. My other option is Uni of Central Lancashire and I had an interview with them (which was a success, I got a conditional offer from them) and the teachers were so nice, passionate and they were people who I felt comfortable with, I had seen all their facilites and they were amazing. So this is why I'm in a massive dilemma!
    What are the journalism teachers like in sheffield? I've been to the open day (I never had the opportunity to meet the teachers/lecturers & I don't have a clue what their facilities are like because we were never given a tour), I've read up about the course and I love the sound of it and I've been given a conditional offer UoS too, which is great! But what's your opinion on the course and the uni itself... What's it really like?

If you wouldn't mind, would you also be able to tell me your experience there and how did you go about deciding Sheffield over other uni's? Anything would be helpful really! Just so I can get a wider overview of Sheffield's journalism course and so I can be sure of where to go from here!

PS. I'm so sorry for throwing all these questions at you!

THANK YOU SO MUCH x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.