Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to tutor children in maths or any science up to GCSE level. I'm in year 12 though so does anyone know how I can get a tutoring job. Most of the tutor advertising websites need me to be 18 or have a bachelor's degree. What's the best way to get in contact with people. And what rate do you think I should charge.

Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by dee08)
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to tutor children in maths or any science up to GCSE level. I'm in year 12 though so does anyone know how I can get a tutoring job. Most of the tutor advertising websites need me to be 18 or have a bachelor's degree. What's the best way to get in contact with people. And what rate do you think I should charge.

Thanks
    Advert on the local noticeboard - often the window of a Post Office will display adverts (although there might be a small fee) and big supermarkets often do too.

Speak to your parents and see if they have any friends with children - or maybe your own friends have younger siblings - and then these people can mention it to their friends and spread the message by word of mouth.

ReputationRep:
    you can also advertise yourself on gumtree and the like

you won't be able to charge much £10 an hour maybe
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Although being under 18 you cannot advertise on our website, I would strongly advise that you read our advice page before starting out. You'll avoid the common pitfalls if you do:

http://www.thetutorpages.com/private-tutor-advice

ReputationRep:
    I tutor my 8 year old neighbour and I am 17 nearly 18. They asked me if I would be willing and I said yes. Start by looking locally is what I am getting at. Post on Facebook sites, social media, in the newsagents window, anywhere that a parent or a student might see! Now that I tutor the little girl, some other parents have mentioned how if they need a babysitter/tutor in the future they will remember me. Also, if you do go into tutoring, make sure you prepare and take a folder of things that you can do with the student, just in case they have no school homework or a problem they need to solve. I also always take a fun task and a quiz, flashcards and a multiplication colouring sheet. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dee08)
    Hey guys,

Thanks
    It's going to be difficult to have any credibility as a Year 12 tutor - particularly because it's the parents you'd need to convince, given that they're paying for it. I wish you luck, but I think you're not going to get much work out of it

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.