The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It starts in 2008 for the people starting AS, so it misses the people who are on the course already
The people who get A* will be the current Yr10's moving into Yr11.

and im 99% sure it will be 270/300 AS and 540/600.
Reply 22
I wonder if this means I'll be able to cite my English Literature A-Level result as an 'A*'.
Reply 23
i wish that came in for our year now. i would have had 4 A*s
Reply 24
i wish that came in for our year now. i would have had 4 A*s

^ Same here. But yeah, once they're in practice do you think we can retrospectively cite them as A*s since they meet the criteria?
Reply 25
no, because that wasn't what was awarded to you by the examining body.
Reply 26
sorry i know this question has been asked before, but my computers beign very slow so i cant go through the message boards

when does the new a* come into place for alevels?
is it september 2008?
thanks
and sorry once again
Reply 27
not 100% sure - maybe its for people who start their A-levels next year - ie people not already in the system.
Doesn't it mean though that those who do A levels before the A* will look like they missed the top A* grade when they may not have done, and therefore their results aren't as highly regarded?
Reply 29
i hope not. It would be a shame if that happened.
Reply 30
The new syllabus and therefore A* grades come into force for AS levels taken in 2009 and A-levels taken in 2010 I think.
Reply 31
I've read trials will take place between 2007 and 2008, with it fully implemented by 2010.
It's a great idea. 270/300 in the A2 modules should be fairly challenging.
Reply 33
The A* grade boundary is just speculation at the moment, Ministers and examining boards are keen for it to be introduced but nothing has been finalised. According to an article published in the Times today, the A* grade boundary will not be introduced until at least 2010. I think this will be a bad thing because it will just increase the pressure on students which is already immense. Top universities will be requesting A*A*A*/A; which is simply not possible for intelligent students but who come from disadvantaged backgrounds. Surely it would be a better idea to just increase the grade boundaries; the whole; "My A is better than yours" is so pretentious.
Reply 34
tbh I think the lack of clarity we're being given concerning the new A* grade is incredibly frustrating; it's not obvious whose year group it will affect. Presumably it can't be implemented for the current AS cycle; as they can't change courses once people have enrolled in them.
I also don't see the point in it; it is been said it will help unis distinguish the best candidates, but how can it if the A* grade will only apply to A2 modules; most people apply to unis with only their AS grades.
Why can't universities just ask to see exact UMS marks if so many people are getting As?
The A* grade is just another example of the government and exam boards giving into grumpy idiots who moan every year in the mass media.

It'll only be achieved by maybe 5-10% of candidates, hence this will negatively impact 90-95% of candidates.

The A* grade is pathetic, shameful and will probably lead to increased stress by the majority who work very hard and don't get A grades at A-level.

Sorry for the rant-type post (I had the equivalent of 3 A*s in my AS results, as an FYI) although I can't stand it when idiots complain that exams are getting easier. They're stressful, they are not easy.
Reply 36
If I were to resit AS levels (again) or take an AS Level with my A2's starting this year, would I be affected by the new A* grade?
Reply 37
iv heard the a* affects thsoe doing their AS levels in september 2008
so i dont think you would be affected as you would be picking up your AS this september?

ive also heard it comes into effect in 2010..im not really sue tbh
sorry
Reply 38
iv heard the a* affects thsoe doing their AS levels in september 2008
so i dont think you would be affected as you would be picking up your AS this september?

ive also heard it comes into effect in 2010..im not really sue tbh
sorry
FireDeuce
Doesn't it mean though that those who do A levels before the A* will look like they missed the top A* grade when they may not have done, and therefore their results aren't as highly regarded?

Well I'd like to think that whoever was looking at the results would know what year the exams were taken in, and therefore be aware that it wasn't actually possible to achieve an A* :smile: Although, yeah, immediately I suppose it'll seem that way - my French teacher was recently boasting about his GCSE A grade and we were wondering why he was so pleased with himself that he thought it was worth bragging, but then we realised it was at a time when A*s didn't exist :p:

Latest