A* Grade coming into force 2008! Watch

Poll: Is the new A* grade for A-Levels a good or bad thing?
Good thing (100)
36.76%
Don't care either way (48)
17.65%
Bad thing (124)
45.59%
~Kirsty~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I hadn't heard the news about 2 module per year instead of 3....

When was that announced?
Nieva-en-el-invierno
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Kirsty~)

When was that announced?

along with the A* grade I think, I heard about them both at the same time.
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Nieva-en-el-invierno)
along with the A* grade I think, I heard about them both at the same time.
Its only certain exam boards and only certain subjects, OCR for example still have 3 units per year with Biology, Chemistry, Electronics, Geology, Human Biology, Music, Physics, and Science.
sammyrj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

When was that announced?
Sorry, took a while to find it:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/alev...742007,00.html
Nieva-en-el-invierno
Report 11 years ago
Its only certain exam boards and only certain subjects, OCR for example still have 3 units per year with Biology, Chemistry, Electronics, Geology, Human Biology, Music, Physics, and Science.
ok, cool thanks, I thought it was for everything (all exams boards & subjects), thanks for the correction!
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
All exam boards all probably incorporating it to some extent - but some subjects are still excluded. (Mostly all the ones i studied - so it wouldn't have made a difference to me)
sammyrj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I honestly could not care less what they do to them once I'm done. I worked hard, I got good grades, and I'm happy. Why that should change because someone in 3 years will have to do less exams and have the opportunity for a higher grade, I don't know.
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I guess its less exams, but more content in each exam... I don't know which is worse...
Toiletpaper8
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Nieva-en-el-invierno)
I know lol! I may just spend this year working & go back next year!
Just do your best on A-Levels, universities can now see your UMS score out of 300 (AS) and 600 (A2), when you sat the modules and what you got for each module, so they'll know how good you are anyway. Well, the good ones will, the other unis won't look lol. Just do an AEA or summit as well. There just isn't an official grade, but unis still know your module marks/raw marks.

A* grade is a complete waste of time, if the papers aren't going to be any harder, then what is the ****ing point? Do you or anyone really believe that someone who gets an A* (90% ish) is really cleverer than someone who gets an A (80%ish)?

I don't..

The difference between an A and A* is just going to be how many past papers you do, how vigorously you check your work, how fast you write and of course luck. A* is ridiculous... have a harder paper instead and lower the boundaries! Make exams challenging like AEAs, not something you can revise for completely, have a surprise, a challenge so students think on their feet, not some complete (censored work) exam where if you learn all the facts and stuff, you can't go wrong, and the exam is the same as last years paper but just with different names and stuff...

e.g.

2006:

Ben, Sam and Marcus have £30 between them...

2007:

Jimmy, Fred and Bilbo have £30 between them...

Okay, slight exaggeration, but the questions, you pretty much know what they're going to ask 90% of the time...
JohnnyD
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I am currently going into year 11, about to do my GCSEs this year. Thus I will be doing my A Levels starting in September 2008. My AS results coming in 2009, will they be graded with the new system?

Please could anyone inform me regarding this.

Regards
Pepe Le Poosh
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think so... correct me if i'm wrong, but the new system is for people starting AS in september 2008, i think. Not 100%, but yeah i think you'll get the new system.
calcium878
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
:ditto: The exams are too predictable :s:
Ben Dover the Lollipop Man
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
why dont they just increase the grade boundry. didnt know idiots worked in the education department.
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think it will affect you.
oliv3r
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm just about to enter my AS year in September, so the A* won't be available.

But, if I decide to have a gap year before university, or for some reason, I don't go to uni that year, when I come back, everyone else will have A*s when I can only achieve As maximum. Won't this put people going into sixth form at a really unfair disadvantage? Should we mention on our qualifications that A*s were unavailable.

Oliver
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The universities will know... plus the grade is being phased in, so over a few years, some will have the grade, and some won't... I don't think offers will change till at least 2010 - since thats the year it should be fully implemented.
rpatel2
Report 11 years ago
is this A* grade actually offical because i was surfing through some of exam board websites and i could find them mention an A* grade for 2008 GCE's.

Regards
oliv3r
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The universities will know... plus the grade is being phased in, so over a few years, some will have the grade, and some won't... I don't think offers will change till at least 2010 - since thats the year it should be fully implemented.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Oliver
WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I can imagine it would be more pressure to perform well for those who are about to embark on them.
luckysmartie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I personally think it's a good idea. For example, I just scraped an A in my German A-level (487) but one of my friends German is amazingly better than mine and yet she will have got the same grade. There is a difference in the kind of students who can get 480 and those who can get 580.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (388)
79.84%
Leave (98)
20.16%

Watched Threads