The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I hadn't heard the news about 2 module per year instead of 3....

When was that announced?
~Kirsty~

When was that announced?

along with the A* grade I think, I heard about them both at the same time.
Reply 62
Nieva-en-el-invierno
along with the A* grade I think, I heard about them both at the same time.

Its only certain exam boards and only certain subjects, OCR for example still have 3 units per year with Biology, Chemistry, Electronics, Geology, Human Biology, Music, Physics, and Science.
Reply 63
~Kirsty~

When was that announced?

Sorry, took a while to find it:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/alevels/story/0,,1742007,00.html
~Kirsty~
Its only certain exam boards and only certain subjects, OCR for example still have 3 units per year with Biology, Chemistry, Electronics, Geology, Human Biology, Music, Physics, and Science.

ok, cool thanks, I thought it was for everything (all exams boards & subjects), thanks for the correction!
Reply 65
All exam boards all probably incorporating it to some extent - but some subjects are still excluded. (Mostly all the ones i studied - so it wouldn't have made a difference to me)
Reply 66
I honestly could not care less what they do to them once I'm done. I worked hard, I got good grades, and I'm happy. Why that should change because someone in 3 years will have to do less exams and have the opportunity for a higher grade, I don't know.
Reply 67
I guess its less exams, but more content in each exam... I don't know which is worse...
Nieva-en-el-invierno
I know lol! I may just spend this year working & go back next year!

Just do your best on A-Levels, universities can now see your UMS score out of 300 (AS) and 600 (A2), when you sat the modules and what you got for each module, so they'll know how good you are anyway. Well, the good ones will, the other unis won't look lol. Just do an AEA or summit as well. There just isn't an official grade, but unis still know your module marks/raw marks.

A* grade is a complete waste of time, if the papers aren't going to be any harder, then what is the ****ing point? Do you or anyone really believe that someone who gets an A* (90% ish) is really cleverer than someone who gets an A (80%ish)?

I don't..

The difference between an A and A* is just going to be how many past papers you do, how vigorously you check your work, how fast you write and of course luck. A* is ridiculous... have a harder paper instead and lower the boundaries! Make exams challenging like AEAs, not something you can revise for completely, have a surprise, a challenge so students think on their feet, not some complete (censored work) exam where if you learn all the facts and stuff, you can't go wrong, and the exam is the same as last years paper but just with different names and stuff...

e.g.

2006:

Ben, Sam and Marcus have £30 between them...

2007:

Jimmy, Fred and Bilbo have £30 between them...

Okay, slight exaggeration, but the questions, you pretty much know what they're going to ask 90% of the time...
Reply 69
I am currently going into year 11, about to do my GCSEs this year. Thus I will be doing my A Levels starting in September 2008. My AS results coming in 2009, will they be graded with the new system?

Please could anyone inform me regarding this.

Regards
I think so... correct me if i'm wrong, but the new system is for people starting AS in september 2008, i think. Not 100%, but yeah i think you'll get the new system.
:ditto: The exams are too predictable :s:
why dont they just increase the grade boundry. didnt know idiots worked in the education department.
Reply 73
I don't think it will affect you.
Reply 74
I'm just about to enter my AS year in September, so the A* won't be available.

But, if I decide to have a gap year before university, or for some reason, I don't go to uni that year, when I come back, everyone else will have A*s when I can only achieve As maximum. Won't this put people going into sixth form at a really unfair disadvantage? Should we mention on our qualifications that A*s were unavailable.

Oliver
Reply 75
The universities will know... plus the grade is being phased in, so over a few years, some will have the grade, and some won't... I don't think offers will change till at least 2010 - since thats the year it should be fully implemented.
Reply 76
is this A* grade actually offical because i was surfing through some of exam board websites and i could find them mention an A* grade for 2008 GCE's.

Regards
Reply 77
~Kirsty~
The universities will know... plus the grade is being phased in, so over a few years, some will have the grade, and some won't... I don't think offers will change till at least 2010 - since thats the year it should be fully implemented.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Oliver
Reply 78
I can imagine it would be more pressure to perform well for those who are about to embark on them.
I personally think it's a good idea. For example, I just scraped an A in my German A-level (487) but one of my friends German is amazingly better than mine and yet she will have got the same grade. There is a difference in the kind of students who can get 480 and those who can get 580.

Latest