Turn on thread page Beta

A* Grade coming into force 2008! watch

• View Poll Results: Is the new A* grade for A-Levels a good or bad thing?
    Good thing
    36.76%
    Don't care either way
    17.65%
    Bad thing
    45.59%

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what people have been saying that it will distinguish people who scrape an A and those who get practically full marks, but also about the fact that our year and before will be slightly disadvantaged. An A is going to look like the 2nd best mark to an unknowing employer, isn't it? Or maybe I'm just paranoid

ReputationRep:
    Surely, from the article in the Education section of The Guardian, the A* grade will be implemented this year (For people who have finished their GCSEs and are starting ASs)? I mean, just read the first sentence - the A* grade will be introduced next year. The article is written before the results come out for the '07 ASs, so A*s will be ready for the '08 ASs, right? :O This is all too confusing
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Zygroth)
    Surely, from the article in the Education section of The Guardian, the A* grade will be implemented this year (For people who have finished their GCSEs and are starting ASs)? I mean, just read the first sentence - the A* grade will be introduced next year. The article is written before the results come out for the '07 ASs, so A*s will be ready for the '08 ASs, right? :O This is all too confusing
    The BBC said it was being phased in...so yes its very confusing.

ReputationRep:
    (I know this thread is old, but I decided to post here rather than starting a new thread on the same topic).

I'm in Y11 now, so in the first year to be affected by the new grade boundaries. In some ways, it could be good because we get extra recognition for the best marks which previous years don't have and, as the universities won't really know what to make of the A* grades in their very first year, it should mean the offers won't be too high. Or maybe it'll be the other way around, and they'll give offers which are actually stupidly high and unattainable.

I'm intending to apply to Oxbridge so that means even more pressure and the worry of an offer of something like A*A*A* and attaining AAA which in previous years would have been acceptable. I know at GCSE, a lot of the brightest students aim for all A*s and think of As as poor. I'm worried the same will happen at A level with even more pressure. An extra grade boundary also makes it more difficult for those taking extra A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge has said that they will be unsure of the quality of the A* grade offer for its first years of running: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...nses/astar.doc. That means that A*A*A* will be unlikely. Also, be aware that you cannot get A* at AS, so actually the first year of running the A* will be from Summer 2010.

ReputationRep:
    have u seen the new a level papers? So much more easier than the current batch and so little content. Alot of people will get A*s i think which will defeat the purpose of the new grade. If they kept the same sort of papers and same content then i would agree with you but the fact they changed the papers means its not too hard

You also cant get an A* in Maths as they change the syllabus in 2011

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelyus)
    Cambridge has said that they will be unsure of the quality of the A* grade offer for its first years of running: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...nses/astar.doc. That means that A*A*A* will be unlikely. Also, be aware that you cannot get A* at AS, so actually the first year of running the A* will be from Summer 2010.
    Ah good, thanks. I was hoping they'd say something like that (about being unsure of the significance of A*s for the first few years).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2006)
    You also cant get an A* in Maths as they change the syllabus in 2011
    I thought the grading was being realigned.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think so. as my school told the guys doing GCSE that the syllabus with the A* grade was only introduced in 2011. You may be right though as im not too sure

ReputationRep:
    http://www.edexcel.com/GCE%20Maths%2...athematics.pdf
    On page 109 of the PDF, pg. 107 of the actual spec., Edexcel says that "The full GCE Advanced level will be graded on a six-point scale A* to E."

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, i wouldnt be suprised if oxbridge ask for A*A*A* because 90% seems to be the mark they expect you to get anyway (you automatically get pooled by Cambridge if you get 90% in three of your ASs)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for bringing up a really old topic but I was wondering is this in place now, for this year?
    Everyone seems confused abot the whole thing...I'm in yr 11.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah. Us, the year 12's now can get them for our A2 grades. So you will be able to get them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg.)
    Yeah. Us, the year 12's now can get them for our A2 grades. So you will be able to get them.
    Dude, I would rep you just for your sig!!!!
    Elisha Cuthbert is Megaaaa Hot!!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hell yeah! I love her :love:

ReputationRep:
    we got told if you get an A is AS

and an A in A2

it gives an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gradu)
    we got told if you get an A is AS

and an A in A2

it gives an A*
    Not really.

80% in AS + 90% in A2 = A*
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I thought it was 90% overall of your AS and A2 mark to get A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg.)
    I thought it was 90% overall of your AS and A2 mark to get A*?
    Um, in short - nope.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/librar...MAR08_SUBJ.PDF
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by goldsilvy)
    Um, in short - nope.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/librar...MAR08_SUBJ.PDF
    Yep you're right. For Physics for example, "Grade A* is awarded to candidates who have gained at least 480 uniform marks on the A Level as a whole and a total of at least 270 uniform marks on the A2 units." (600 for whole, 300 for AS and A2).

I do find this a bit dodgy though. If you got 300/300 on AS for example, then got 88% on A2 (264/300) you won't get A*, even though you got 94% overall.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.