Turn on thread page Beta

Were my parents wrong to do this? watch

When I was about 10-12 years old, my parents used to smack me on the back of the head rather a lot. They never caused any serious damage, but the smacks were pretty hard and hurt. They'd do it several times in a row out of rage. Then leave the room and often come back and do it again, or one would leave and the other come in, drag me through the house and throw me onto the bed, etc.

Sometimes it was for saying disrespectful things for them; other times for things like not eating all my dinner, being late and missing the school bus, or continuing to cry when they told me to stop (I was trying but felt like I couldn't breathe without sobbing.) There were times when this happened every day.

When they were done I would always have to apologise. Sometimes I didn't know what for. On occasion, they later denied doing it when I mentioned it (in private, without anyone else around) and said that I was making things up. But I know that it did happen and was 100% real.

They mostly stopped after I was diagnosed with a neuro-developmental condition (which I'd had since birth.)

I blocked it out but for various reasons I recently started to think about it again and can't stop. I would really appreciate some honest thoughts on it. Were they wrong to do this to me? Or was it completely justified?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Mine did the same.

It's f***ed up.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong.
    Physically abusing a child isn't right.

ReputationRep:
    That's awful They had no right to do that. There are other ways to discipline your child than to smack them.

ReputationRep:
    my parents were like that as well with me

ReputationRep:
    i guess most parents do it. not any more but my dad used to hit us. once my brother failed his gcse maths and lied about it to my dad he kicked the sh** out of him and went next level rage mode.

Wrong. They shouldn't have abused you like that.

ReputationRep:
    My mum behaved the exact same way toward me and my younger (autistic) brother but she also blamed everything she did on our dad. It was so bad that I can barely remember anything from before 14 (I'm 17 now)

I would say that it was wrong of them but it's over now and you don't have to worry about it anymore.
    As well as that - you have us TSRians if you ever need t' chat love!

ReputationRep:
    Same thing happened to me. I'm almost certain it was partly responsible for my later mental health problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    When I was about 10-12 years old, my parents used to smack me on the back of the head rather a lot. They never caused any serious damage, but the smacks were pretty hard and hurt. They'd do it several times in a row out of rage. Then leave the room and often come back and do it again, or one would leave and the other come in, drag me through the house and throw me onto the bed, etc.

Sometimes it was for saying disrespectful things for them; other times for things like not eating all my dinner, being late and missing the school bus, or continuing to cry when they told me to stop (I was trying but felt like I couldn't breathe without sobbing.) There were times when this happened every day.

When they were done I would always have to apologise. Sometimes I didn't know what for. On occasion, they later denied doing it when I mentioned it (in private, without anyone else around) and said that I was making things up. But I know that it did happen and was 100% real.

They mostly stopped after I was diagnosed with a neuro-developmental condition (which I'd had since birth.)

I blocked it out but for various reasons I recently started to think about it again and can't stop. I would really appreciate some honest thoughts on it. Were they wrong to do this to me? Or was it completely justified?
    What a horrible thing to happen! In my opinion, they were entirely wrong to do it. I cannot see any justification for repeatedly hitting a child for minor misdemeanours. Please, you mustn't blame yourself.

Unfortunately, they might have been hit too as children, and that method of discipling children has sort of been 'carried forward' to you. To them, it might seem entirely normal and ordinary - this is not in any way an attempt to excuse it, but to try to understand its origin.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.