The Student Room Group

Do you think this is fair

My chemistry teacher for the first topic of A2 set us a LUDICROUSLY hard test that is unfair compared to even the past papers. 4/4 of the class got U's, top was just under 25% lowest was me at 7% (3/41).
My chemistry teacher was severely dissapointed in us and was hoping for us to get B's.
I personally find this silly, she intentionally sets off the roof questions and when we cant answer them wonders why and demands us to redo the test in our own time. It's blooming destroyed my self esteem and now my stress levels are also super high. I aim to resit to get a C+, but that's besides the point.
I'll be honest, i'm going to cheat and look at the answers as i do it but im looking at them now and i don't understand it at all and i know all the knowledge back to front
I want your opinions, do you think it's right for someone to set nigh impossible questions and get dissapointed that everyone did awfully and demand resits despite the chances of any improvement is negligable.
(edited 7 years ago)
It does sound like the test was harder than it should have been and maybe she shouldnt have set such a difficult test. However, the fact that she is disappointed doesn't necessarily mean she is angry, she just wants you all to do well. If you all discussed with her why she gave hard questions, perhaps you might find she felt she had reason to. Maybe she was trying to push you all and expose you to the worst possible outcome on the day of the exam.

Aside from that, I do not think you should cheat. By cheating, you are giving your teacher a false impression that you understand it all even though you have admitted here yourself that you are confused with the answers. The best thing you could do is arrange to meet your teacher and tell her the truth: you don't understand and you want her to explain slowly and carefully. The most intelligent of all people ask questions because for them there is not such thing as a stupid question, especially if it leads to greater understanding. It can be hard when you set yourself high standards to face a poor grade and ask for help, but your future self will thank you for it. This is the best way to improve and when you answer the test honestly, you'll be very proud of yourself ! This test can be used as a turning point rather than something to upset you- best of luck :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I absolutely hate hate when teachers do that. Usually its teachers who dont care, they just randomly pick some questions from the internet not even reading them, and then expects us to them, despite them being off spec and etc. But TBH now that your in yr 13, really who cares? You know what you need to do, just revise and do well in the end, these little test don't really matter at all. Unless of course its going to determining your predicted grades.

I would recommend no point learning answers which you would have never understood, cause no ones going to understand them, and this will seem fishy if your the only one getting it right. But do look at the answers which you know how to do, so if the teachers asks you how you got you know exactly how. Hope this helps, but I feel you!
Reply 3
ok thanks for the answers both of you gave. wouldve responded earlier but ive mucked up my notifications system somehow :/

So i haven't resat it yet and thinking about it i probably wont just look at the answers. It's just that i went through the test yesterday and on seperate paper after even more revision i went up from a 3/41 to a 6/41 (despite my teacher saying not to mark it ourselves but to do it in class :P no harm though)
I'm going to do it again on sunday or monday before i have school again but i really feel i won't improve. I know the knowledge and all that but these questions are too devious (she also added stuff we havent done, i guess to throw us off like a normal exam would?)
I know doing the test many times is kind of cheating but i'm not learning the answers so its not that bad. i don't want to do horribly over and over and end up being forced to spend lots of time after school going over one measly test. I'm already spending nearly every day after school doing stuff to help with my ever-decreasing grades and losing more time is just going to increase my stress even more.

overall yeh thanks for the advice, wont cheat, just going to hope my tecaher doesn't set more of these ridiculously hard tests -_-
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Toasticide
My chemistry teacher for the first topic of A2 set us a LUDICROUSLY hard test that is unfair compared to even the past papers. 4/4 of the class got U's, top was just under 25% lowest was me at 7% (3/41).
My chemistry teacher was severely dissapointed in us and was hoping for us to get B's.
I personally find this silly, she intentionally sets off the roof questions and when we cant answer them wonders why and demands us to redo the test in our own time. It's blooming destroyed my self esteem and now my stress levels are also super high. I aim to resit to get a C+, but that's besides the point.
I'll be honest, i'm going to cheat and look at the answers as i do it but im looking at them now and i don't understand it at all and i know all the knowledge back to front
I want your opinions, do you think it's right for someone to set nigh impossible questions and get dissapointed that everyone did awfully and demand resits despite the chances of any improvement is negligable.

Look into what you've got wrong and note it. Potentially revise, and focus on, these topics.

Don't regard the grades seriously.
Original post by Toasticide
ok thanks for the answers both of you gave. wouldve responded earlier but ive mucked up my notifications system somehow :/

So i haven't resat it yet and thinking about it i probably wont just look at the answers. It's just that i went through the test yesterday and on seperate paper after even more revision i went up from a 3/41 to a 6/41 (despite my teacher saying not to mark it ourselves but to do it in class :P no harm though)
I'm going to do it again on sunday or monday before i have school again but i really feel i won't improve. I know the knowledge and all that but these questions are too devious (she also added stuff we havent done, i guess to throw us off like a normal exam would?)
I know doing the test many times is kind of cheating but i'm not learning the answers so its not that bad. i don't want to do horribly over and over and end up being forced to spend lots of time after school going over one measly test. I'm already spending nearly every day after school doing stuff to help with my ever-decreasing grades and losing more time is just going to increase my stress even more.

overall yeh thanks for the advice, wont cheat, just going to hope my tecaher doesn't set more of these ridiculously hard tests -_-

Doing the test many times is definitely better than cheating by just reciting answers, you're taking the time to understand it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't read the whole thing but at my sixth form they had an entirely different grading system (75% for a B) and always chose the hardest past questions (or created new ones) in the mocks so that you're continually reflecting and trying to improve and then you do the real exam which seems/is so much easier and the exam board boundaries are so much lower. = you do better = Win win
Better than getting Bs all year comfortably then going to the real exam and getting a C?
I got Cs and Bs in every mock and test at A level history and was expecting a C in my results because I was sure I didn't include the things/ events my teacher said you 'had' to in order to get a B and turns out I got a high A overall and As in all but 1 exam. Plus I feel my persistence has improved

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest