Turn on thread page Beta

Student questions about Reproduction: What do you want to know? watch

ReputationRep:
    Every school has a unit on reproduction, but sometimes they don't answer the questions that students want to know.

I have a small group of questions for students hoping to find out what you think you'll learn about and what you hope to learn about -- plus what you already know (or don't know) about sexual health.

Here are the short answer questions:

What kinds of topics do you expect to cover in a Reproduction unit?

Do you think it will be more oriented towards human health or diversity in species?

Do you know of any other forms of reproduction (besides sexual)?

What do you hope will be covered in this unit? Is there something specific you hope to learn about?

These ones are just simple yes/no, male/female, true/false questions to test what you know:

Once a girl has had her first period, can she become pregnant?

Can a girl become pregnant before she has had her first period?

Is it unhealthy for a girl to bathe or swim during her period?

Is abstinence the only 100% effective method of birth control?

Does the male or female parent determine the sex of a child?

Is the vagina the primary sexual organ of a female?

STD’s can only be transmitted via the genitals. True or false?

Thanks everyone! We're trying to find out what would be the most useful information to include in a Biology course seeking to educate students on reproduction and health.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Pasqual101)
    Every school has a unit on reproduction, but sometimes they don't answer the questions that students want to know.

I have a small group of questions for students hoping to find out what you think you'll learn about and what you hope to learn about -- plus what you already know (or don't know) about sexual health.

Here are the short answer questions:

What kinds of topics do you expect to cover in a Reproduction unit?

The process, safe practice, maybe something on responsbilities, the science behind it...

Do you think it will be more oriented towards human health or diversity in species?

Human health I think, not too sure what you mean by diversity in species (as in what the talking point is here)

Do you know of any other forms of reproduction (besides sexual)?

Asexual reproduction in plants

What do you hope will be covered in this unit? Is there something specific you hope to learn about?

Nothing in particular, I think any information is useful as it's not too boring and is at the right level for the audience.

These ones are just simple yes/no, male/female, true/false questions to test what you know:

Once a girl has had her first period, can she become pregnant?

Question is slightly ambiguous, but I'd say yes.

Can a girl become pregnant before she has had her first period?

I'd say no. I don't think they ovulate until the first one.

Is it unhealthy for a girl to bathe or swim during her period?

From what I know, showering/bathing makes it go away / feel better. If she leaks during swimming.. :erm: I'd say yes though, because you've lumped them together.

Is abstinence the only 100% effective method of birth control?

Yes. One contraceptive on its own is still risky, and 2 or 3 probably makes it better but not 100%.

Does the male or female parent determine the sex of a child?

The male. This is 'random'. The x chromosome is given by the female and either an x or a y is given by the male.

Is the vagina the primary sexual organ of a female?

I'd.. say so.

STD’s can only be transmitted via the genitals. True or false?

No. For example, needles that have been used can pass HIV.

Thanks everyone! We're trying to find out what would be the most useful information to include in a Biology course seeking to educate students on reproduction and health.
    Hopefully the answers above don't make me look like a complete melon.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.