Turn on thread page Beta

I havent driven for 5 years; Can my instructor take my license off me if I forgot? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I passed 5 years ago, and since then I havent driven because I couldnt afford a car and getting insured.

I would like to get a car now, but I feel I need to get driving lessons again to regain confidence and I think I may have forgotten some general driving know how (lanes, signs etc).

If I tell my instructor that I already have a full license, and later my driving proves to be horrendous; is the instructor able to take away my driving license if i'm not safe on the road?

Any help would be great as I'm stressing over this
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TheOcean)
    Hi all,

I passed 5 years ago, and since then I havent driven because I couldnt afford a car and getting insured.

I would like to get a car now, but I feel I need to get driving lessons again to regain confidence and I think I may have forgotten some general driving know how (lanes, signs etc).

If I tell my instructor that I already have a full license, and later my driving proves to be horrendous; is the instructor able to take away my driving license if i'm not safe on the road?

If you're worried, the best thing to do is eliminate the source of the worry. So as you're worried about forgetting road signs, look at the road signs and remember them! Re-read the highway code to get a refresher on the rules and etiquette.

But no, your driving instructor can't take your license away. You could get disqualified if you get too many penalty points (for things like speeding or dangerous driving), or if you cause a really bad accident and get taken to court etc. You could even choose to surrender your licence yourself - this is really for medical reasons, but the form doesn't ask details so you could fill it in anyway.

If your instructor feels that you are really unsafe they could report you to the police - but the police would need evidence to be able to do anything. This means that the police would need to catch you doing something dangerous. If you're only driving during lessons they won't be able to find any evidence, so you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    The same happened to me! Don't worry they can't unless you drive really a dangerously, but if you are having lessons with an instructor they probably won't let you do that if they're a good teacher!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOcean)
    Hi all,

No. You should pick it up quickly.

It is your responsibility as a driver to ensure that you are competent enough to drive, if you do not do this and you injure/ kill someone then the consequences will be severe, particularly if it emerges that you had not driven in 5 years.

The best thing to do is pay an instructor to get you back up to that level, and then maybe ask them to do a mock test with you when you feel you are ready and get them to tell you if you would have passed a real test or not. When you are good enough to pass their mock test you are good enough to be on the road again.

It is great that you are taking responsibility and not just planning to start driving again without any practice.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you think about getting a plane instead? It sure comes in handy when you need to nip to the dry cleaners.

(Original post by oiseaux_tropic)
    No. You should pick it up quickly.

It is your responsibility as a driver to ensure that you are competent enough to drive, if you do not do this and you injure/ kill someone then the consequences will be severe, particularly if it emerges that you had not driven in 5 years.

The best thing to do is pay an instructor to get you back up to that level, and then maybe ask them to do a mock test with you when you feel you are ready and get them to tell you if you would have passed a real test or not. When you are good enough to pass their mock test you are good enough to be on the road again.

It is great that you are taking responsibility and not just planning to start driving again without any practice.
    Exactly that. Many people would just go out and have a crash or somethin.

(Original post by Auntie Mabel)
    Why don't you think about getting a plane instead? It sure comes in handy when you need to nip to the dry cleaners.
    Too expensive and if you dont have a Harrier Jumpjet, then the impractical requirement of needing a runway. So you couldnt really nip anywhere that is distant from an airport. Even helicopters and the Harrier are far too large to land in a single parkin space. Perhaps one day we will be able to own drones that can "click and collect" for us. I think Amazon are working on a variant of this idea, and they will probably be better than anything by ESA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    Exactly that. Many people would just go out and have a crash or somethin.

Too expensive and if you dont have a Harrier Jumpjet, then the impractical requirement of needing a runway. So you couldnt really nip anywhere that is distant from an airport. Even helicopters and the Harrier are far too large to land in a single parkin space. Perhaps one day we will be able to own drones that can "click and collect" for us. I think Amazon are working on a variant of this idea, and they will probably be better than anything by ESA.
    #rekt

(Original post by Auntie Mabel)
    #rekt
    bog

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 29, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.