Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently studying Electrical and Electronic Engineering (MEng course).
    I'm planning to go live/work abroad in the future (I don't really know where but probably Italy, Spain, USA or Canada).
    I was wondering : how valuable is the title of Chartered Engineer abroad?

Basically my question is : is it worth it to start working in the UK, become a Chartered Engineer and then go where I want ? Or it won't make a big difference and I can already go abroad as soon as I have my degree?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by dalvp)
    Hi,

I'm currently studying Electrical and Electronic Engineering (MEng course).
    I'm planning to go live/work abroad in the future (I don't really know where but probably Italy, Spain, USA or Canada).
    I was wondering : how valuable is the title of Chartered Engineer abroad?

Basically my question is : is it worth it to start working in the UK, become a Chartered Engineer and then go where I want ? Or it won't make a big difference and I can already go abroad as soon as I have my degree?
    I'm not sure of the specific value of the titled of Chartered Engineer abroad, but generally it is easier to work abroad if you have a few years of work experience than being a fresh graduate.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on the country, some countries (like USA) use PE standard instead of the Chartered status, in which case the Chartered status is not very useful.

Some other countries like Malaysia tends to accept both PE and Chartered status and would be useful to have a Chartered beforehand.

And like Smack recommended, experience is the only thing that is recognised everywhere, so it's best to have some experience first before you move to compete with their locals (who should be more used to their own design standard) for their graduate roles.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.