The Student Room Group

Money priorities heating or food?

So I've had a bit of a disagreement with my flatmate, she puts the heating on for 9 HOURS, I repeat 9 HOURS a day on full blast while I'm out and she's studies at home. I've asked her to turn it down, put it on less or just use a hot water bottle etc and I've come to terms with the fact I'm going to be forking out about £200 extra at the end of the year...

BUT my main point is she has said she prioritises heating over food. Which I totally don't get?! Indeed she does live off of pizza, cheap ready meals, lots of carbs etc. But, I would far rather go to the library during the day, take cold showers (which I do), do some exercise to keep warm and have really delicious filling healthy homemade vegetable and nut based meals than have the heating on for more than 3 hours a day.

So your opinions, heating or good food? Should I be less surprised?

PS please don't argue with me about healthy food costs, I know there are ways to cut costs and I do everything I can but sadly I'm a total pig and I eat a lot! Also I have a few allergies which means I can't just buy anything cheap off the shelf. :frown:
Food,I grew up without central heating (we didn't get it till I was 12) and I ve never used the heating since moving out, just put on a jumper I say.
Original post by mb293
So I've had a bit of a disagreement with my flatmate, she puts the heating on for 9 HOURS, I repeat 9 HOURS a day on full blast while I'm out and she's studies at home. I've asked her to turn it down, put it on less or just use a hot water bottle etc and I've come to terms with the fact I'm going to be forking out about £200 extra at the end of the year...

BUT my main point is she has said she prioritises heating over food. Which I totally don't get?! Indeed she does live off of pizza, cheap ready meals, lots of carbs etc. But, I would far rather go to the library during the day, take cold showers (which I do), do some exercise to keep warm and have really delicious filling healthy homemade vegetable and nut based meals than have the heating on for more than 3 hours a day.

So your opinions, heating or good food? Should I be less surprised?

PS please don't argue with me about healthy food costs, I know there are ways to cut costs and I do everything I can but sadly I'm a total pig and I eat a lot! Also I have a few allergies which means I can't just buy anything cheap off the shelf. :frown:

9 hours is far too excessive, I hope your flatmate pays for that! I just layer on the jumpers when I'm cold. Obviously nutrition should be a priority
Food. Has your flat mate ever heard of a slanket 😂
Food all the way. I rarely use central heating as it is, I hate stuffy overly warm rooms and would far prefer a hot water bottle and blanket. If I can't see my own breath I'm probably not turning the heating on.
Tell her to sit in a sleeping bag like the rest of us.
OMG THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! I thought maybe I was the crazy one!

Original post by claireestelle
Food,I grew up without central heating (we didn't get it till I was 12) and I ve never used the heating since moving out, just put on a jumper I say.

Me too, never used "normal" central heating! My house at home doesn't have central heating, its AGA and fires from December to March haha

Original post by doodle_333
Food all the way. I rarely use central heating as it is, I hate stuffy overly warm rooms and would far prefer a hot water bottle and blanket. If I can't see my own breath I'm probably not turning the heating on.

totally agree, I can't sleep or eat when its too warm, makes me feel gross.
Reply 7
Food for me as well. I'm only using the heating at the moment because my flat developed a damp/mould problem which the maintenance company say is due to lack of ventilation + heating over the past few years. I have it on 15 degrees to give background warmth for the building, not for me. I love my slanket!
Reply 8
It depends, if the thermastat was set at say 19 or 20 (so the heating was just reaching that temperature and turning off repeatedly) then that's fine. If she was trying to get the house up to 25 degrees plus, then that's stupid.

If you've got to make those kind of choices you've obviously not got enough money, try and earn more money.
Reply 9
If Papers, Please has taught me anything, then it's that you should get food and heating on alternative days to save money. But I don't think that works out in real life so well.

9 hours a day of central heating though is utterly crazy. Either your house is incredibly poorly insulated or your housemate is wasting energy somehow. Get her to invest in some better insulation, you can get window insulation really really cheap and you just stick it on the glass. And get your housemate to invest in a pair of slippers or something. Or just get her to pay more of the bill, maybe.
Definitley excessive for a student house. Even as someone who gets cold really easily I didn't expect the heating to be on full blast all day as a student, I just layered up.
Refuse to pay for anything above normal usage. There really is no need for that much.
Food. I think you get the lifestyle right as you can study in warm library and afford some balanced nutrition. I tend to go to libraries to minimize heating cost. 9 hrs is excessive. She can get a warm fleece and wool socks. Winters in England are relatively mild and maybe 2-3 hrs in the evening would do when people are at home.
Food. There's no argument there. If she's cold, she can put on a load of jumpers and use blankets.

Nine hours of heating is excessive.

Who has the heating bill account by the way? If it's her, then refuse to pay the extra money for the heating. If she wants nine hours, she can fork out for it herself.
i feel your pain - one of my flatmates leaves their heater on for hours and then goes out of the house with it still on!!

although i would never prioritise food over heating to the extent i have cold showers haha that sounds TERRIBLE.
Food over heating, heating set to come on at home in morning and evening from about an hour and occasionally put on for a short while if a bit chilly but otherwise put up with it and put a jumper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Food ofc.

Not unreasonable to want heating, but it is if she expects you to pay an excessive amount. Besides putting on an extra layer or two, she can simply keep her room from getting uncomfy by having a heater with a thermostat and switch it on for 20% of the time to take the bite out of things.Have you asked her to pay the extra? What I would do is contact the electric supplier and get a monthly bill to track consumption and let you both know where you stand. You also need to check you are on the lowest tariff.It will avoid being hit with a massive bill. You are students now and soe of you will struggle with large bulls at the end of the term, when you are more likely to be low on funds.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending