Turn on thread page Beta

VA165 – Crisis Committee Membership Amendment watch

• View Poll Results: Should this amendment be passed into the Guidance Document?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    34.15%
    On the contrary, No
    43.90%
    Abstain
    21.95%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    VA165 – Crisis Committee Membership Amendment
    Crisis Committee Membership Amendment

Proposed by: cBay (Soc)
    Seconded by: Quamquam123 MP (Lab), TheDefiniteArticle MP (Lab), cranbrook_aspie MP (Soc), Nigel Farage MEP MP (UKIP), PetrosAC MP (Lib).

Add the following to Section 14 (Crisis Committee) of the Guidance Document:
    "(2) The Chair of the committee, elected into the position in accordance with the committee's constitution, may remove any member nominated through subsection 1.1 who he feels has been consistently disruptive or uncooperative to the committee, or has broken the committee's convention of secrecy. The party leader in question should then nominate a new member to the committee.
    (3) The Speaker of the House may veto the chair's decision if he believes it has been made in bad faith.
    (4) Any member that has been removed from the committee by the Chair may not rejoin for six months, unless they meet the criteria of subsections 1.2 or 1.3."
    Adjust Subsequent Numbering Accordingly.

Notes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

It is obvious that some parties have attempted to sabotage the Crisis Committee. The Chair of the committee should have the right to remove these unhelpful members. To ensure the Chair doesn't go mad with power, the Speaker will have the right to veto the decision. Removed members will not be able to rejoin the committee for 6 months unless they become Speaker, Deputy Speaker, or Foreign Secretary.

• Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    No. It's a sad day for this House when people feel the need to stifle behaviour that they don't agree with.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well, the left never have been fans of freedom of speech and I guess democracy is an inconvenience.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by toronto353)
    No. It's a sad day for this House when people feel the need to stifle behaviour that they don't agree with.
    I can't help but point out, irrespective of my views on this particular amendment, that 'stifling behaviour that they don't agree with' is one the main functions of legislators and a foundation of civilised society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I can't help but point out, irrespective of my views on this particular amendment, that 'stifling behaviour that they don't agree with' is one the main functions of legislators and a foundation of civilised society.
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    I find it highly amusing social democrats, and liberals are supporting an amendment to create a tinpot dictator with unlimited power over the Crisis Committee. If the Speaker of the MHoC does not have the power to throw a member out of the MHoC for making bad contributions, the Crisis Committee Chairperson should not have that power.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    It might be rare to say, but it happens once in a blue moon: hear, hear!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by toronto353)
    100% agreed.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I find it highly amusing social democrats, and liberals are supporting an amendment to create a tinpot dictator with unlimited power over the Crisis Committee. If the Speaker of the MHoC does not have the power to throw a member out of the MHoC for making bad contributions, the Crisis Committee Chairperson should not have that power.
    You seconded it too...

Anywho, I'm voting abstain because I honestly couldn't care less.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Andy98)
    You seconded it too...

Anywho, I'm voting abstain because I honestly couldn't care less.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Seconded without seeing it, or did you forget Nigel said his name could be put on anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ayes to the right: 14
    Noes to the left: 18
    Abstentions: 9

The Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 82%

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.