Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably too early (I'm only in year 11) but I was wondering if anyone knows how to get into Oxbridge and study English?
    Would it help if I enter competitions,write for the newspaper etc?
    Best A-Level subject combinations etc?

ReputationRep:
    Essay based subjects such as English, History, a language, etc are good. Relevant experience would be a bonus - this could be writing for a school paper, journalism work experience or anything else you find interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fxlloutboyy)
    Essay based subjects such as English, History, a language, etc are good. Relevant experience would be a bonus - this could be writing for a school paper, journalism work experience or anything else you find interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you at Oxbridge?
    What subjects at A-Level did you do?
    I'm thinking of doing English Literature,Biology,Psychology and History.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm studying my A Levels, not looking at Oxbridge but know they look for high grades and for you to show you're passionate about the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Upseedasy)
    I'm probably too early (I'm only in year 11) but I was wondering if anyone knows how to get into Oxbridge and study English?
    Would it help if I enter competitions,write for the newspaper etc?
    Best A-Level subject combinations etc?
    I suggest you have a careful read of the advice gathered here.

Extracurricular activities which give you regular writing practice are good. Reading widely will set you up well -- that doesn't necessarily mean reading all 'classic' or highly canonical literature, just try to get a bit beyond the limits of the syllabus for A level. I'll second fxlloutboyy's comment that having a language subject at A level is good, if you have any aptitude at all for it: studying any other language helps you understand English's own structures more by 'seeing them from the outside', and the literary aspects of foreign-language A levels are extra practice in literary-critical writing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.