Best PC games for £5 or less? Watch

AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
With the price of new games forever on the rise, I was wondering whether there were any more budget titles anyone would like to recommend? Whether they're old, indie, or simply on sale, post or receive recommendations here!

I was more of a PC gamer in the late 90s - early 2000s, before anime became my main time sink, so mine are mostly on the old side, but I like to think they've stood the test of time. :yes:

~~~

Theme Hospital - A great strategy/management game, with a fun sense of humour. Trying to keep your hospital efficient and clean while avoiding bankruptcy and keeping staff happy can be a real challenge in the later levels!

FlatOut - Okay, so there may be better-looking racing games out there than this 10 year old one, but personally I found the crashes, damage and physics great... might be the Robot Wars fan in me. :p: Great soundtrack as well! I'd recommend it over the slightly more expensive FlatOut 2 - and steer clear of the overpriced and unplayable flop that is FlatOut 3 at all costs. :yucky:

King of Dragon Pass - A really unique roleplaying/politics game, where you play as the Chieftain of a small tribe, balancing all sorts of requests and demands, keeping various gods pleased, surviving whatever random chance events the game throws at you, and hopefully one day uniting with neighboring tribes and ruling over them as King or Queen.

The Gabriel Knight Trilogy - Three of the best point and click adventure/mystery games ever, in my opinion, but they all look very different. Sins of the Fathers has 2D pixel art, The Beast Within uses FMV (but one of the better FMV games, according to many reviews), and Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned opted for early 3D... not so pretty, but the story makes up for it!

Dungeons of Dredmor - Something a little more recent... only 5 years old. :ahee: I've played through this roguelike dungeon crawler a few times, the randomly generated levels and multiple classes/abilities give plenty of replay value.
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Mass Effect 3, 6 years old and a great RPG. About £5 on amazon.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Some point last year or year before, you could get Theme Hospital for free on Origin (no longer I believe) - a legit copy. So obviously I did ;-) I had it on PS1 originally and it was awesome.

Now, although I seldom play it, I like a game on Steam called Fistful of Frags - it's free. It's a western shooter, you drink whisky to restore your health, you can play in various diff game modes, diff maps etc. I just enjoy it
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by DarthRoar)
Mass Effect 3, 6 years old and a great RPG. About £5 on amazon.
Good call, and cheaper than Origin! I should pay more attention to the prices of physical copies and discs, even if digital downloads are more convenient. :yes:
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's a silly lil' game on steam called Oh...Sir!! The Insult Simulator that's been out for about three days. Would recommend, it's like £1.60 on steam

Upon rigorously going through my steam library just now it turns out literally everything cheap-ish is still £6.99
Obiejess
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Go on G2A

Posted from TSR Mobile
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
There's a silly lil' game on steam called Oh...Sir!! The Insult Simulator that's been out for about three days. Would recommend, it's like £1.60 on steam

Upon rigorously going through my steam library just now it turns out literally everything cheap-ish is still £6.99
That does sound like good fun.

Yeah, I ran into the same problem after I set the budget. a lot of the games I wanted to include were £6 - £8. I was probably remembering the prices I paid while there were sales going on. :giggle: Still, I'm interested to know what else is available at such a low price. :yes:
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Theme hospital was the best! I really need to get that again.

For free games, Fistful of Frags and Warframe are really good. FoF is good for shorter games. I pick it up when I'm bored. It's a good Western team shooter game with different game modes and plenty of public servers. Warframe is a bit like Destiny. It's very very good for a free game. It's not just for PC either!

I got Limbo for £1-£2 in a Steam sale and it was amazing. It's very cheap on sites like G2A as well, I believe. It's a little puzzle platformer. It has the most amazing story, and gorgeous music and graphics. I really recommend it
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I play Theme Hospital (like Inexorably I got it free with Origin) and Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. I also have Rollercoaster Tycoon Deluxe, but I'm not sure what that is - it seems like 2 (rather than being 1 or 3) but has some of the features missing.

I've also got Caesar III but I haven't installed that yet. There is a free version through Steam called Caesaria, but I found it didn't work very well.
Rasillon
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dota 2
That is all

Posted from TSR Mobile
theawesome245
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Garry's Mod. On the weekend its price goes down.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
Theme hospital was the best! I really need to get that again.

For free games, Fistful of Frags and Warframe are really good. FoF is good for shorter games. I pick it up when I'm bored. It's a good Western team shooter game with different game modes and plenty of public servers. Warframe is a bit like Destiny. It's very very good for a free game. It's not just for PC either!

I got Limbo for £1-£2 in a Steam sale and it was amazing. It's very cheap on sites like G2A as well, I believe. It's a little puzzle platformer. It has the most amazing story, and gorgeous music and graphics. I really recommend it
Limbo is great, I think I got it in a Humble Bundle? :hmmmm2: Slightly over budget when not on sale though, by the looks of things. :sadnod:

(Original post by Juno)
I play Theme Hospital (like Inexorably I got it free with Origin) and Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. I also have Rollercoaster Tycoon Deluxe, but I'm not sure what that is - it seems like 2 (rather than being 1 or 3) but has some of the features missing.

I've also got Caesar III but I haven't installed that yet. There is a free version through Steam called Caesaria, but I found it didn't work very well.
Free games are even better than cheap games, especially when it's Theme Hospital!

Caesar III is a good one! I had that on my old Windows 98 PC, and recently played through it again after buying the GOG version. I've been thinking about getting Caesar IV (slightly over £5, I know!), but I hear that's more like a jigsaw puzzle than a city builder, due to the small maps and large number of buildings you have to squeeze in to finish some levels. :p:
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Free games are even better than cheap games, especially when it's Theme Hospital!

Caesar III is a good one! I had that on my old Windows 98 PC, and recently played through it again after buying the GOG version. I've been thinking about getting Caesar IV (slightly over £5, I know!), but I hear that's more like a jigsaw puzzle than a city builder, due to the small maps and large number of buildings you have to squeeze in to finish some levels. :p:
Well, annoyingly Theme Hospital was advertised as free immediately after I'd just bought the game from a charity shop :mad: But then the disc didn't work, so I had to get the free version anyway (I didn't feel like I could take it back to a charity shop, and I still ended up with the game).

Caesar IV is available for £4.97 used from Amazon, or £3.65 from Ebay.
chelseadagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Limbo is great, I think I got it in a Humble Bundle? :hmmmm2: Slightly over budget when not on sale though, by the looks of things. :sadnod:
I have so many Humble Bundle games to get through at the moment :laugh: Limbo is only £1.38 on G2A if you don't mind buying from there though
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juno)
Caesar IV is available for £4.97 used from Amazon.
Again, I clearly should pay more attention to CD prices. :p:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
I have so many Humble Bundle games to get through at the moment :laugh: Limbo is only £1.38 on G2A if you don't mind buying from there though
That's something I'll have to check out, I didn't know sites like that existed until I read the recently bumped scdkey thread. :holmes:

There's usually only one or two games out of the 5-10 in a Humble Bundle that I actually want when I buy the things, but I've found a lot of good ones among the titles I hadn't heard of/previously considered.
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Again, I clearly should pay more attention to CD prices. :p:
I'm only slowly learning about these download things. I would only get a download of it was significantly cheaper, and CD is the default format I look at.
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The original Command and Conquer games, still some of the best RTS games out there.
chelseadagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's something I'll have to check out, I didn't know sites like that existed until I read the recently bumped scdkey thread. :holmes:

There's usually only one or two games out of the 5-10 in a Humble Bundle that I actually want when I buy the things, but I've found a lot of good ones among the titles I hadn't heard of/previously considered.
I figured them out not too long ago. I use them fairly often. Whenever it's cheaper to buy the key and the insurance thing than elsewhere basically :laugh: They are pretty good though. Very discounted in some cases.

Yeah, same. Especially with the lower tier options, it's a good way to try out new games as well because you get a lot for what you're paying for. I don't mind if I'll only play one or two either, because the money goes to a good place.

Have you played Wakfu? Such a great game! Free too. Gorgeous turn based strategy MMORPG with an anime based on it. I've not seen the anime yet, but it's in my watchlist
TSR Mustafa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
RTS- Battledawn ( really old and nice tho) and it's stupidly intense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
11.11%
Disagree (3)
8.33%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.78%
Agree (11)
30.56%
Strongly Agree (8)
22.22%

Watched Threads