Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have the curve. I anticipate that there will be a kink/sharp twist in said curve.With the boldened information being the most relevant - how would I solve this integral.So far I have

ds=||AB→||dtds=||AB→||dt

[Although I express doubt and skepticism whether this is right.]Thank you for any help/assistance given.
    This is my working out so far. i would appreciate if anyone caould confirm whether I am correct, or assist me please.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming the curve is supposed to be two line segments. So split the integral up into the two segments (and just add the results for each segment at the end).

For a line from a to b you simply want to parameterize as (x, y, z) = a + t(b - a) (with t going from 0 to 1). So you'll have simple linear functions for x, y, z as functions of t. (E.g. for your segment from (1, 0, 1) to (0, 1, 0) you'd have x = 1 - t, and then you replace dx by \dfrac{dx}{dt} dt = -dt). You'll end up with a simple integral of form

\displaystyle \int_0^1 \text{"stuff that's a function of t"} \, dt for each segment.

Edit: I haven't really addressed what you've tried to do, because all the stuff with cos and sin seems to be completely irrelevant and I'm not sure what you're actually trying to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    I'm assuming the curve is supposed to be two line segments. So split the integral up into the two segments (and just add the results for each segment at the end).

For a line from a to b you simply want to parameterize as (x, y, z) = a + t(b - a) (with t going from 0 to 1). So you'll have simple linear functions for x, y, z as functions of t. (E.g. for your segment from (1, 0, 1) to (0, 1, 0) you'd have x = 1 - t, and then you replace dx by \dfrac{dx}{dt} dt = -dt). You'll end up with a simple integral of form

\displaystyle \int_0^1 \text{"stuff that's a function of t"} \, dt for each segment.

Edit: I haven't really addressed what you've tried to do, because all the stuff with cos and sin seems to be completely irrelevant and I'm not sure what you're actually trying to do.

Thank you I changed the parameter to make it in terms of t and I got 1/3 and 34/3 for the two segments.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for this ^^^

I thought you left this forum

Your papers got me from a U to an A in M1. Thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.