Turn on thread page Beta

Personally I don't think its about how many hours a person puts in but its about the quality of studying involved. I know people who have put in hours of work but they end up with the same grades as people who studied hard a few weeks before the exam. Its matters about how you study whether you just read through revision guides and do no past papers, or you do only past papers and don't read the revision guide. Also i think the subject being studied can depend how you revise for it, so in regards to how much hours an individual puts in I don't think a person success is fully Dependant by the amount of hours they put in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave0405)
    WHY???!!!!
    Why are u spending so much time working? Pay attention in class, do you homework and you will be fine. Why do all the work now only to repeat it in class in Sept?
    1. Because i enjoy reading and studying
    2. So by exam time i do not have to cram a lot of revision and stress myself out
    3. So come September in class i can be ahead of other people, because learning at my class mates pace is too slow for me
    4. Some people do not need to do spend time with extra work and come out with four A's others; others such as myself do, so i do it.
    5. I rather do studying and reading than watch TV, Surf the net or play computer games which just waste my time (going out is different) however don't get me wrong i do these things, but after adequate reading and studying time.
    6. I don’t find the time spent studying say politics for example a day is enough.

On summer holidays I’ve spent 3-4 hours a day on studying and reading, i will try to do 3 hours of study a day when College starts, but i doubt it.

Oh i got
    A (high) English
    A (high) Sociology
    A (mid) Business studies
    B (3 marks from A:mad:) Politics

I agree with maze.e, the amount of hours does not correlate with ones success. However i do find my essay base subjects do require a sound amount of extra reading/work to reach the top marks. However once it again, it depends generally on the person - some people have the natural ability to just turn up to class, learn, go home and do extra work only to come out with top marks. Depends on the person and subject.

(Original post by Erzan)
    On summer holidays I’ve spent 3-4 hours a day on studying and reading, i will try to do 3 hours of study a day when College starts, but i doubt it.
    You study in the summer holidays, man you should be going out and having fun! not studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xemmajanex)
    There's probably a point where, beyond that, any extra wouldn't help. So while an hour or two a day would be beneficial, 6 hours wouldn't add anything more, would tire you out, and apart from anything else - how on earth can you find 6 spare hours per day on top of a whole schoolday?!

1. I didn't, although we got homework from every lesson which was about 1-3 hours a day
    2. No.
    err its the holidays here lol... and it will probably shrink down to 4 hours in school days...
    and my subject is maths, so all i do is practice questions....not much use of brain power there, so im not really tiring myself out..just using brain power initially while trying to get the concept

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DAVE)
    WHY???!!!!
    Why are u spending so much time working? Pay attention in class, do you homework and you will be fine. Why do all the work now only to repeat it in class in Sept?
    Man, ive done all that in the first month lol...
    And im studying now coz ive got to do all my Maths chpaters by January...and all my Further maths by June...crap...

ReputationRep:
    1- How many hours of independent work do you guys do after school every day???

Nothing, I just do whatever homework I have.

2- Has anyone started studying already for their new year? and for their re-sits??

No re-sits for me and no studying for the year ahead, i'll leave that until a few days before an actual exam

ReputationRep:
    I would agree that it depends on the quality of study, I came home alot of nights, and did random Maths questions all evening in front of the TV. I obviously wasn't concentrating 100%, but I never really got sick of doing, because I was relaxed enough, and I think it still helped alot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nashir)
    err its the holidays here lol... and it will probably shrink down to 4 hours in school days...
    and my subject is maths, so all i do is practice questions....not much use of brain power there, so im not really tiring myself out..just using brain power initially while trying to get the concept
    OK fair enough - the question was how much work people do after school, so I assumed that's what you meant when you said 6 hours

ReputationRep:
    1. Homework only. When I could be bother doing it.
    2. Done three weeks of A2 at college already. I don't think I'll be resitting any modules. Also, I'm too lazy to learn ahead other than in Maths.

ReputationRep:
    During Year 12 I did the bare minimum in most of my subjects. In Art, however I spent a lot of free time working both in free periods and at home, just because I enjoy it.
    Now I have my results, I can say that all the extra time spent on Art has really paid off, but I was very very lucky to have even got Bs in my other subjects considering the amount of revision I'd done.
    This year I hope to spend more free time on all my A2 work, especially preparing for January resits. Then again I say this all the time and don't do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    How do you revise for a subject like English Lit? I got a B in my AS without hardly any revision - but not though lack of trying. I just didn’t know where to start. I ended up reading my York Notes two or three times. Hardly effective by any means.

This year I am studying Emily Dickinson and The Duchess of Malfi.
    Does anyone know good techniques to improve my grades.

ReputationRep:
    use your free periods wisely - i did most of my work at school in year 12 and then spent only 30mins to an hour after school. At A2 things got a lot lazier, so I'd do all my work on sunday and do nothing at school/home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave0405)
    WHY???!!!!
    Nobody cares what you have to say.

Well done to those who are starting now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilMc)

Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilMc)

:ditto:
    ............(not that I am, although I should be )

ReputationRep:
    i don't/didn't do any independent work. mostly didn't even read the texts/textbook reading set.

once every few months i'd do the odd homework essay, but that was it -- i pretty much just went to lessons. and crammed the day before/of the exam.

not something i'd advise, actually, as in a2 i ended up panicking and not understanding the concepts/texts properly -- in english lit it was sheer luck that i got the marks i did; the one essay i could do for hamlet came up, the one essay i'd done on blake came up, and war lit, thankfully, didn't concern itself with the themes i'd ignored. so i might've done alright, but it was ridiculously stressful and i nearly burned myself out by december.

so well done to everyone who's being sensible and starting afresh/working now -- so what if you cover it again in class? it'll just further reinforce the knowledge and understanding

ReputationRep:
    In year 12...i started out thinking oh i'm gonna work soo hard and do my homework straight away and read around subjects...worked for about 3 weeks lol, i started coasting-i was still getting As and such-but then decided to coast for my mock exams in january and i did poorly for me-BBCC.
    I got my act together BUT i didn't really do much extra work around school work-even though i should have for french AS, i knuckled down and revised for my AS levels and did well.

Year 13-lol i can't even remember the past year seriously-except for the 18th bdays and leaving stuff. But anyways i didn't actually do that much extra work-but that was because i did work in my extra free periods and in general studies lol-i didn't do aswell in like weekly essays was getting As and Bs though and did quite well in my mock exams-i put the work in over christmas. I knuckled down again when it came to revision and it paid off

You don't actually have to do TOO much extra work its really not necessary-BUT do get all your notes down in class and if you miss lessons copy your work up! Key thing is to start revision early-as even if you have been coasting all year but your notes are quite good, there's no reason why you shouldn't do really well-poss not as well as with all that extra studying.

ReputationRep:
    1) Per night, I must do 3 hours on average. I must be a really slow worker?

2) I have already started learning A2 material, especially in Chemistry and Maths (as these are relevent to my degree, and for the Oxbridge interviews). Doing this will take pressure of my January exams. In Chemistry, i've also started looking at some past paers lol. At school, we've also started the course.

ReputationRep:
    1. Nothing. Don't even do homework. I only feel the need to do coursework.

2. Nothing in the syllabus but i have done some reading around what i plan to study at uni (medicine) by reading books and what not.

ReputationRep:
    ^ I suggest you do your homework in year 13..lol

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.