The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester - Non-Academic Form for Medicine

Have people generally written this as they did with their personal statements? i.e. including the skills their hobbies and their experience in caring roles has given them. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Reply 1
Original post by GradeBUnderB
Have people generally written this as they did with their personal statements? i.e. including the skills their hobbies and their experience in caring roles has given them. Thanks in advance for any replies.

They specifically said do not copy and paste from your personal statement, so what I'm doing is including the things that didn't fit into my character count for the PS and explaining them in more detail, but yes I'm still using some of the things also mentioned in my PS. Hope this helps!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by busybee8
They specifically said do not copy and paste from your personal statement, so what I'm doing is including the things that didn't fit into my character count for the PS and explaining them in more detail, but yes I'm still using some of the things also mentioned in my PS. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your reply! My only issue is that Manchester aren't reading personal statements at all. So by not repeating yourself are you perhaps putting yourself at a disadvantage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply! My only issue is that Manchester aren't reading personal statements at all. So by not repeating yourself are you perhaps putting yourself at a disadvantage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That depends, for me I didn't put down a non-medical volunteering placement so I'm including it forbidden charity work, but yeah I suppose so. Just reword it and maybe go into more detail if your PS didn't allow for it in much detail
Reply 4
That depends, for me I didn't put down a non-medical volunteering placement so I'm including it forbidden charity work, but yeah I suppose so. Just reword it and maybe go into more detail if your PS didn't allow for it in much detail

Thanks for your help! Good luck with your application, where else have you applied and what is your UKCAT etc.

Cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thanks for your help! Good luck with your application, where else have you applied and what is your UKCAT etc.

Cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just realised I wrote forbidden 😭😭 and I've applied to Bristol, Sheffield and Newcastle medical schools as well as Manchester. I'm so scared though, UKCAT was 643, band 1 and I got a D in AS French 😢. I'm so scared about the application. Where have you applied?
Reply 6
Just realised I wrote forbidden 😭😭 and I've applied to Bristol, Sheffield and Newcastle medical schools as well as Manchester. I'm so scared though, UKCAT was 643, band 1 and I got a D in AS French 😢. I'm so scared about the application. Where have you applied?

I've applied to Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield and Liverpool, so 3 of the same choices! I got 680 in the UKCAT (band 2 SJT) and 4 As at AS. I really wouldn't worry about your AS French grade though. I'm guessing you're predicted 3 As at A level so it shouldn't make any difference. I think you'll be fine from the sounds of things. I wouldn't get worried 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I've applied to Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield and Liverpool, so 3 of the same choices! I got 680 in the UKCAT (band 2 SJT) and 4 As at AS. I really wouldn't worry about your AS French grade though. I'm guessing you're predicted 3 As at A level so it shouldn't make any difference. I think you'll be fine from the sounds of things. I wouldn't get worried 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm just really hoping my passion for medicine comes through in my personal statement. And it's so weird with the choices?!
Reply 8
Yeah I'm just really hoping my passion for medicine comes through in my personal statement. And it's so weird with the choices?!

Do you know that Newcastle, Sheffield and Manchester don't read your personal statement? Only Liverpool out of my choices reads them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Do you know that Newcastle, Sheffield and Manchester don't read your personal statement? Only Liverpool out of my choices reads them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Newcastle don't read them but I think after interview, they will verify.From what I understand, Manchester might use the non-academic form/PS as a topic of discussion in one of the MMIs.
Reply 10

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending