Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just started my A levels and I'm doing History, Philosophy, Biology. I LOVE all three subjects but I'm not sure where they can take me I was thinking of doing foundation medicine as I could not apply for A level chemistry...ANYWAY... I just want to know:
    1) what is psychology? (what do you do in the degree?)
    2 )would I be at a disadvantage if I didn't take A level psychology?
    3)what can you do with a psychology degree?
    I just need as much information on the degree since I barely know anything about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou_weed)
    I've just started my A levels and I'm doing History, Philosophy, Biology. I LOVE all three subjects but I'm not sure where they can take me I was thinking of doing foundation medicine as I could not apply for A level chemistry...ANYWAY... I just want to know:
    I just need as much information on the degree since I barely know anything about it!
    1)
    See here to see what psychology at university is like http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1200984
    and pick up a book/watch something from here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2739866

2)
    Nope, it only helps a little in terms of writing a personal statement, but psychology covers things in quite a shallow way, you can easily catch up at uni. Only requirements are sometimes 1 or 2 sciences or maths so you will be good for most places.

3)
    Psychology specific jobs are listed here http://www.bps.org.uk/careers-portal
    Most psychology graduates don't go into psychology careers however, but general graduate jobs open up to you.

ReputationRep:
    1) Psychology is the science of human behaviour and predicting human behaviour. It's a really varied subject with a lot of Biology in it (your A-level Biology will definitely help!) and Maths (most of it is statistical). Reading the overviews of the subject from several universities should help you get a good idea. You could also borrow a psychology A-level textbook from the sixth form library and have a read to see if you find it interesting.

2) I read on a Uni website (I believe it was Bath) that about 20% of psychology undergrads don't take psychology at A-level so you should be fine. Philosophy and Biology both link nicely to the subject. You shouldn't be hindered as most psychology courses do not require any specific subjects.

3) Here's a list of potential carrers: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...ree/psychology
    Psychology also works well as a general degree that can get you into a broad range of careers, such as human resources and management roles.

Just a sidenote that lots of Uni psychology degrees ask for B in GCSE in Maths and/or English language, and pretty much all of them ask for a C in both. You'll also need to pass the practical element in Biology, if your A-level includes one, for most courses.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d8na)
    1) Psychology is the science of human behaviour and predicting human behaviour. It's a really varied subject with a lot of Biology in it (your A-level Biology will definitely help!) and Maths (most of it is statistical). Reading the overviews of the subject from several universities should help you get a good idea. You could also borrow a psychology A-level textbook from the sixth form library and have a read to see if you find it interesting.

2) I read on a Uni website (I believe it was Bath) that about 20% of psychology undergrads don't take psychology at A-level so you should be fine. Philosophy and Biology both link nicely to the subject. You shouldn't be hindered as most psychology courses do not require any specific subjects.

3) Here's a list of potential carrers: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...ree/psychology
    Psychology also works well as a general degree that can get you into a broad range of careers, such as human resources and management roles.

Just a sidenote that lots of Uni psychology degrees ask for B in GCSE in Maths and/or English language, and pretty much all of them ask for a C in both. You'll also need to pass the practical element in Biology, if your A-level includes one, for most courses.

Best of luck!
    thank you for the reply! i'm planning on retaking all of my sciences and getting 3As + getting a B in maths! College has really helped me organise my priorities and responsibilities, unlike high school.. my experience was so stressful which is why i got loads of Bs and only one A! :')

ReputationRep:
    thank you for the reply! i'm planning on retaking all of my sciences and getting 3As + getting a B in maths! College has really helped me organise my priorities and responsibilities, unlike high school.. my experience was so stressful which is why i got loads of Bs and only one A! :'
    Best of luck with your retakes! And I'm glad college is working out for you. Psychology is a great subject in my humble opinion (3 weeks into my A-level and i wanted to take it at uni) so is definitely worth a look.
    Good luck again with your retakes - if you have any questions about the subject, applying for it at uni, good unis,
    or anything like that then let me know x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.