The Student Room Group

HC1 Form and free dental care? Desperate!

Hi Everyone,

So im a mature student 24 going on 25 in December. I've avoided the dentist for 2 years because once i pay out travel, board to my parents for upkeep and University essentials im basically broke. This year my anxiety has caused really bad grinding of my teeth whilst i sleep, making me wake up with pieces of my teeth that have broken off in the night in my mouth, sever sensitivity and jaw pain and infections. Its so painful it feels like my jaw is broken. I had an emergency appointment which removed a bad tooth for £19.70 (which i had to borrow of a friend) but was told i needed allot of work and fillings to sort my problem out. I found out about the HC1 form and ive filled it in but im concerned, i get just under £6000 for the year in maintenance loans and a grant. I receive no other money from family or other sources. I have no savings or receive any benefit. My mother is disabled and my father is her carer. I've read other posts saying students are often refused either because loans are too high or they live with family (wich i do, but my parents are poorer than me). If im refused i honestly dont know what i can do, the dental school nearest me wont give me appointments because im not in their catchment area, my nhs dentist is too expensive and ive lost 3 molars on my one side already making it very hard to eat and i spend most nights with ice packs on my face to sooth the pain etc. Has anyone as full time final year student (undergrad) had luck with the HC1 forms? Thanks in advance x
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Everyone,

So im a mature student 24 going on 25 in December. I've avoided the dentist for 2 years because once i pay out travel, board to my parents for upkeep and University essentials im basically broke. This year my anxiety has caused really bad grinding of my teeth whilst i sleep, making me wake up with pieces of my teeth that have broken off in the night in my mouth, sever sensitivity and jaw pain and infections. Its so painful it feels like my jaw is broken. I had an emergency appointment which removed a bad tooth for £19.70 (which i had to borrow of a friend) but was told i needed allot of work and fillings to sort my problem out. I found out about the HC1 form and ive filled it in but im concerned, i get just under £6000 for the year in maintenance loans and a grant. I receive no other money from family or other sources. I have no savings or receive any benefit. My mother is disabled and my father is her carer. I've read other posts saying students are often refused either because loans are too high or they live with family (wich i do, but my parents are poorer than me). If im refused i honestly dont know what i can do, the dental school nearest me wont give me appointments because im not in their catchment area, my nhs dentist is too expensive and ive lost 3 molars on my one side already making it very hard to eat and i spend most nights with ice packs on my face to sooth the pain etc. Has anyone as full time final year student (undergrad) had luck with the HC1 forms? Thanks in advance x

Talk to your uni's student support about what support you may be intitled to. I believe you may be in a situation you would qualify for extra help from student finance either due to your family situation or through DSA. Even if you do not qualify for any financial help through DSA you should look into it as they can help you with other aspects of uni life. I would also suggest you see a doctor about your anxiety if you haven't already.

I hope you find some help with your situation and can get your teeth sorted soon. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Everyone,

I hope you are getting some sort of help for your anxiety, as well? It sounds pretty severe.

Quick Reply

Latest