Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would this be possible due to health issues? I'm anxious at the prospect of bringing it up during interviews because they may not like that since I'm not flexible.

However if they didn't take me on, can a newly qualified go straight to full time bank/agency since I can do short days at my request.

I'd appreciate replies from staff nurses.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know the answer to this. But I do know a lot of wards don't even like you to do long days because it is exhausting. The ward I used to work on and the one I'm currently on now don't like you too. I had to beg basically to get long days
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ~scorpio~)
    Would this be possible due to health issues? I'm anxious at the prospect of bringing it up during interviews because they may not like that since I'm not flexible.

However if they didn't take me on, can a newly qualified go straight to full time bank/agency since I can do short days at my request.

I'd appreciate replies from staff nurses.
    All banks and agencies require a certain amount of time working as a qualified nurse before accepting you. This is because you need a preceptorship and to build your confidence. It would be inappropriate to have a newly qualified nurse working in a new clinical area with the same responsibilities as an experienced staff nurse who works there permanently, You can work on banks as a band 2 or sometimes 3 until you have this experience.

It very much depends on the ward/hospital policy. Some areas are pushing to have all staff working long shifts. Others are of the mindset that shorter shifts are better. Some will have a mixture of long and short days. Whether they will take you on with just short days will depend on the current staffing and whether they can have safe staffing levels and organise the rota easily with you just working short shifts. Even then, you may be asked to stay on at the end of your shift if another staff member is ill, for example.

Another consideration is nights - most wards, care homes and the like will have an expectation that you will do nights as well as days. Whether they would be willing to take you on just for days is at their discretion, but depends whether they need night coverage or not.

You need to make sure that any requirements are documented in your job offer or contract. You can always phone the contact for the ward before even applying to ask what the required shift patterns are, this is a legitimate enquiry and certainly isn't unusual.

ReputationRep:
    If it is a genuine health reason and it woudl be an reasonable adaptation then regardless of setting you could do them , other wise just find yourself a unit managed by an unredundable who believes that long shifts are 'exhausting' and forces everyone to do them even thought long days are better for work life balance, continuity of care and you still work thesame amount of hours ...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.