zattyzatzat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Name:  5.png
Views: 144
Size:  26.8 KB
How do you calculate the length of AD? Do you use Trigonometry? If so I thought Trigonometry could only be used for Right-Angled Triangles. thank you in advance!
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can do this with the cosine rule. If you know what that is, try and use it. If not, look it up or ask again!
Tubbz
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What level is this at? It looks like it could just be a really long winded trig question near the end of a paper?
zattyzatzat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pangol)
You can do this with the cosine rule. If you know what that is, try and use it. If not, look it up or ask again!
Thanks! I haven't learnt about the cosine rule yet so thanks for pointing it out!
zattyzatzat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tubbz)
What level is this at? It looks like it could just be a really long winded trig question near the end of a paper?
It's from an Old O-Level Past Paper. It was quite an early question but i found out i need to use the cosine rule to solve it, but thanks for the help!
Tubbz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zattyzatzat)
It's from an Old O-Level Past Paper. It was quite an early question but i found out i need to use the cosine rule to solve it, but thanks for the help!
Fair enough, is the cosine rule is in the syllabus then it makes sense to use that. Otherwise you could probably solve it by brute forcing it with basic trig.
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The cosine rule is certainly on the current GCSE syllabus, so I'm sure it would have been on an old O Level one!
Tubbz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pangol)
The cosine rule is certainly on the current GCSE syllabus, so I'm sure it would have been on an old O Level one!
I did my GCSEs and A Levels a while ago, pretty hard to remember what fell which side of the line.
Happy3690
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zattyzatzat)
Name:  5.png
Views: 144
Size:  26.8 KB
How do you calculate the length of AD? Do you use Trigonometry? If so I thought Trigonometry could only be used for Right-Angled Triangles. thank you in advance!
Yes,Zattyzatzat,the usual rules for trigonometry use right angles.To use trigonometry on triangles that don't have right angles you have to split them into two right triangles like this:

Image.

Other rules that are useful to apply are the sin and cos rules.Look up the proofs of these,they involve lots of circles!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Hallouminatus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Happy3690)
To use trigonometry on triangles that don't have right angles you have to split them into two right triangles like this:
Or sometimes by extending a side of the triangle to make a larger, right angle triangle. Hint: horizontal and vertical lines are perpendicular
Spoiler:
Show

Extend CD to meet AB at point G. Use simple trig on the right angled triangles ACG and ADG. No need for cosine rule or anything complicated
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Hallouminatus)
Or sometimes by extending a side of the triangle to make a larger, right angle triangle. Hint: horizontal and vertical lines are perpendicular
Spoiler:
Show

Extend CD to meet AB at point G. Use simple trig on the right angled triangles ACG and ADG. No need for cosine rule or anything complicate
Please don't resurrect 4-year-old threads
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (100)
59.17%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
10.65%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (21)
12.43%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (12)
7.1%
I haven't started researching yet (9)
5.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.33%

Watched Threads