Turn on thread page Beta

Why People are Obsessed with Tanning - Pale Skin a Curse? watch

ReputationRep:
    I do not understand this obsession. Over exposure to sun damages your skin in so many ways yet still people choose to bake under sun. Pale skin looks perfectly alright to me, why do people think you look sick with pale skin and healthy with tan?

ReputationRep:
    I've seen plenty of hella pretty pale girls, I've never understood why people care

ReputationRep:
    Why are some dark skin people bleaching?
    To them pale skin is beauty.
    It all goes down to one thing. Insecurity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior Gene)
    I do not understand this obsession. Over exposure to sun damages your skin in so many ways yet still people choose to bake under sun. Pale skin looks perfectly alright to me, why do people think you look sick with pale skin and healthy with tan?
    I see your point about looking sick when pale vs healthy when tanned. That's odd.

But in general, I think because it just looks better? I love browner/darker skin. It's much more beautiful than milky skin.

ReputationRep:
    Being pale is not necessarily a sign of health. People who don't go out in the sun usually suffer from vitamin D deficiency.

Some people look good pale, other's don't. It's all about what you look good with.

Also in the West getting a tan is a sign of wealth and that you are an extrovert, which is desirable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExoKris)
    Being pale is not necessarily a sign of health. People who don't go out in the sun usually suffer from vitamin D deficiency.

Some people look good pale, other's don't. It's all about what you look good with.

Also in the West getting a tan is a sign of wealth and that you are an extrovert, which is desirable.
    How is getting a tan a sign of wealth? Aren't poor people who labour in the sun all day more likely to get tanned?

ReputationRep:
    I like being tanned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToussJ)
    How is getting a tan a sign of wealth? Aren't poor people who labour in the sun all day more likely to get tanned?
    The idea goes that most average folk work indoors nowadays, usually in offices. Working in the sun all day isn't much of a thing anymore, in most cases you're in an office or behind a shop counter or driving something. When you're a rich person, you can afford to go out on holidays and then get mad af tans. The "working out in the sun all day" theory is supposed to apply to the olden days where the rich people never went out to do anything, like <1700s I think.

I'm never really sure about any biological theories on attractiveness, science's alleged most beautiful face in Britain really doesn't do it for me at all:
    Spoiler:
    Show

i like having pale skin I think ti looks very refined. There's no need to bake in the sun, like you said it jsut ruins your skin and causes premature aging.

ReputationRep:
    Most people still associate a healthy tan with vitality, good health and often wealth (good tan = good holidays). It's a cultural thing - obviously if you go back only 150 years a tan was considered a vulgar outdoor worker thing. If people want to cook themselves to a crisp lying in the sun, then that's up to them, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is...I'm even paler than many white girls... I'm an Asian, btw

ReputationRep:
    Those harmful UV rays are attractive to people, clearly
    Spoiler:
    Show
    On a serious note, people probably see themselves more as more attractive when they're tanned, and thus become obsessed over it. As a previous poster said, insecurity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    i like having pale skin I think ti looks very refined. There's no need to bake in the sun, like you said it jsut ruins your skin and causes premature aging.
    the implication being that dark skin is unrefined? GTFO. I'll agree that pale skin is aesthetically pleasing but when you start bringing in personality attributes, **** gets borderline racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socratesfam)
    the implication being that dark skin is unrefined? GTFO. I'll agree that pale skin is aesthetically pleasing but when you start bringing in personality attributes, **** gets borderline racist.
    Water is cheaper than lemonade, but that does not mean buying lemonade is economically unviable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Water is cheaper than lemonade, but that does not mean buying lemonade is economically unviable.
    You win the wackest and most cryptic analogy of 2016 award. Congrats bro!

ReputationRep:
    The idea goes that most average folk work indoors nowadays, usually in offices. Working in the sun all day isn't much of a thing anymore, in most cases you're in an office or behind a shop counter or driving something. When you're a rich person, you can afford to go out on holidays and then get mad af tans. The "working out in the sun all day" theory is supposed to apply to the olden days where the rich people never went out to do anything, like <1700s I think.

I'm never really sure about any biological theories on attractiveness, science's alleged most beautiful face in Britain really doesn't do it for me at all:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah, I've seen many prettier faces than that, though maybe it's because I prefer dark hair...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socratesfam)
    You win the wackest and most cryptic analogy of 2016 award. Congrats bro!
    The point was saying one thing is very refined doesn't necessarily implicate a different thing is totally awful.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ie you were getting worked up over **** they didn't actually say, is that clear enough for you?

ReputationRep:
    Too pale skin often looks unattractive imo

ReputationRep:
    The point was saying one thing is very refined doesn't necessarily implicate a different thing is totally awful.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ie you were getting worked up over **** they didn't actually say, is that clear enough for you?
    "implicate," lol, where the **** did you learn grammar, son? And the clear implication is that darker skin is, by extension, unrefined. Do you not see how that's glaringly obvious?

Christ, I didn't think dumb INTPs existed but here we are....

ReputationRep:
    I've never understood the obsession with tanned skin either. I'm fond of my fairly pale skin and I don't really like it getting tanned.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.