Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know how to use a first degree Taylor polynomial to approximate the value of tan(3)?

I know the Taylor series of tan(x), but confused as to how to use it to approximate tan(3).

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't you just substitute x = 3 and add the first few terms, until you decide that the contribution of each sucessive term is too small to make a noticable difference? Have you been given the number of places that you need your approximation to?

ReputationRep:
    The first three terms of tan(x) are x + 1/3(x)^3 + 2/15(x)^5 I know this much, but if you substitute in 3 for x you won't get an approximation for tan(3) so obviously I am doing something wrong or have not understood something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceCityRabz)
    The first three terms of tan(x) are x + 1/3(x)^3 + 2/15(x)^5 I know this much, but if you substitute in 3 for x you won't get an approximation for tan(3) so obviously I am doing something wrong or have not understood something.
    Why do you think that putting x=3 won't give you an approximation to tan(3)? Genuine question, I'm not sure of this - it there a range of permissible values that we have stepped outside of? If so, can we use the idea that;

tan(3) = tan(3-pi) = -tan(pi-3),

so sub in pi-3 and then take the negative of what you get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pangol)
    Why do you think that putting x=3 won't give you an approximation to tan(3)? Genuine question, I'm not sure of this - it there a range of permissible values that we have stepped outside of? If so, can we use the idea that;

tan(3) = tan(3-pi) = -tan(pi-3),

so sub in pi-3 and then take the negative of what you get.
    Yes I think you are right. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't you just substitute x = 3 and add the first few terms, until you decide that the contribution of each sucessive term is too small to make a noticable difference? Have you been given the number of places that you need your approximation to?
    First degree implies you're only supposed to use the first 2 terms (i.e. f(a) + (x-a)f'(a)).

Your other suggestion to use tan(3) = -tan(pi-3) is a good one, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    First degree implies you're only supposed to use the first 2 terms (i.e. f(a) + (x-a)f'(a)).

Your other suggestion to use tan(3) = -tan(pi-3) is a good one, however.
    My eyes rather skipped over the "first degree" part - point taken. Out of interest, what values does the Taylor series coverge for? Is it 0 <- x < pi/2 ?

ReputationRep:
    My eyes rather skipped over the "first degree" part - point taken. Out of interest, what values does the Taylor series coverge for? Is it 0 <- x < pi/2 ?
    Taylor series around x =0 should converge for -pi/2 < x < pi/2 I think.

In general, given a point a in the complex plane and a function f analytic near a, if b is the nearest pole to a (you can think of a pole as a point where f goes infinite), then the radius of convergence of the Taylor series will be |b-a|.

In this case the nearest poles are where cos x = 0, that is x=+/- pi/2.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.