The Student Room Group

HIV test results - so anxious!!!!

Hi, so i recently tested positive for chlamydia and went to a clinic to get treatment and they did some routine tests for HIV and other things. Anyway i thought this would be a rapid test but it's one where they send it off so ill be waiting for a week or two. Which i feel may be one of the most difficult weeks of my life i am so anxious and terrified i have no one i can really say this to without scaring them so thought id post on here. Please dont lecture me i just need some comfort im a 22 year old girl and have had unprotected sex in the past when i was drunk at uni which yed i know was unbelievably stupid and i will be such an advocate for safe sex after this experience. Has anyone gone through a similar thing? In first year of uni i went home with this guy who i met on a night out who in retrospect probably was a bit dodgy anyway about 2 weeks later i got 'symptoms' which i googled like crazy and yes it turned out these were hiv symtoms. Google can wreck havoc with your mind and now i wish i had just gone to the doctors abd got a test i don't know what ill do if im positive, mainly because of the people I'll have to say you need to get tested. I know i just have to wait and see but if anyone's gone thrrough anything similar that would be amazing to hear some kind words. I am not sleeping and keep breaking down i wish i could just talk to somone but i don't want to worry my parents with this. Thanks everyone
Yes, waiting for test results isn't fun. Have you looked for somewhere that does do 'same day result' testing?

Even if he was HIV+, which he very probably wasn't, the chances of getting it from vaginal sex are around one in a thousand each time. Many of the symptoms that some newly infected people get are very similar to boring colds etc.

So even though you've had chlamydia, you're very unlikely to have caught HIV. If you've been very unlucky, modern treatment means you're very likely to have as long and as healthy a life as you would without it, down to not being able to pass it on to anyone else via unprotected sex.
Reply 2
Original post by unprinted
Yes, waiting for test results isn't fun. Have you looked for somewhere that does do 'same day result' testing?

Even if he was HIV+, which he very probably wasn't, the chances of getting it from vaginal sex are around one in a thousand each time. Many of the symptoms that some newly infected people get are very similar to boring colds etc.

So even though you've had chlamydia, you're very unlikely to have caught HIV. If you've been very unlucky, modern treatment means you're very likely to have as long and as healthy a life as you would without it, down to not being able to pass it on to anyone else via unprotected sex.

There is one clinic in my area which does rapid testing but the next available appointment is 4 days so i may aswell wait for my result. You also have to pay £60! I will just have to wait it out. I do think maybe the symptoms i had were due to extreme anxiety and they only lasted for about 2 days and you also can't tell from symptoms alone. I keep reassuring myself and then there's the voice saying what if. Thanks for your reply
Reply 3
Original post by unprinted

There is one clinic in my area which does rapid testing but the next available appointment is 4 days so i may aswell wait for my result. You also have to pay £60! I will just have to wait it out. I do think maybe the symptoms i had were due to extreme anxiety and they only lasted for about 2 days and you also can't tell from symptoms alone. im so annoyed with myself for letting this take over my life and the internet is full of people freaking out like this! I keep reassuring myself and then there's the voice saying what if. Thanks for your reply :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so i recently tested positive for chlamydia and went to a clinic to get treatment and they did some routine tests for HIV and other things. Anyway i thought this would be a rapid test but it's one where they send it off so ill be waiting for a week or two. Which i feel may be one of the most difficult weeks of my life i am so anxious and terrified i have no one i can really say this to without scaring them so thought id post on here. Please dont lecture me i just need some comfort im a 22 year old girl and have had unprotected sex in the past when i was drunk at uni which yed i know was unbelievably stupid and i will be such an advocate for safe sex after this experience. Has anyone gone through a similar thing? In first year of uni i went home with this guy who i met on a night out who in retrospect probably was a bit dodgy anyway about 2 weeks later i got 'symptoms' which i googled like crazy and yes it turned out these were hiv symtoms. Google can wreck havoc with your mind and now i wish i had just gone to the doctors abd got a test i don't know what ill do if im positive, mainly because of the people I'll have to say you need to get tested. I know i just have to wait and see but if anyone's gone thrrough anything similar that would be amazing to hear some kind words. I am not sleeping and keep breaking down i wish i could just talk to somone but i don't want to worry my parents with this. Thanks everyone

I know it's really difficult, but stay as calm as you can. As far as I know, the method of testing where you have to wait is more accurate. It's just a precautionary test. The chances of you having HIV are low. Even on the off chance that you do have it, treatment has come a long way. Don't think about telling partners it anything like that for now. Just cross that bridge when/if you come to it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thank you :smile: my parents know something is up with me but i cant bare to tell them. I just need to know now because this is driving me crazy and wish i could go back in time and actually think about what on earth i was doing.

Quick Reply

Latest