Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    And how many people arguing have actually been alive in America during the presidency of more than 2 seperate Presidents?

Probably 1 or 2, I don't really think you are able to comment on this debate otherwise.
    Three for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    And how many people arguing have actually been alive in America during the presidency of more than 2 seperate Presidents?

Probably 1 or 2, I don't really think you are able to comment on this debate otherwise.
    Hey! Are you calling me old? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    If Paul got the nomination (unlikely) he would beat any democrat.
    I find that very unlikely. Did you see the reception he got at the Republican debate a few weeks ago? Very frosty. Democrats might like him, but then why would they vote in a "wet" Republican when they can get the real thing by voting Democrat? Most Republicans cannot stand his anti-war, anti-Patriot Act etc. etc. stance, so I don't think he's got any chance at all of winning the nomination. However, I think he has the soundest economic policies of all the candidates - abolish income tax, abolish the IRS....

I love this quote...

"Instead of simply debating spending levels, we ought to be debating whether the departments, agencies, and programs funded by the budget should exist at all."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Dude, privatization of essential services like education can only be a bad thing (again, a totally different debate though)
    I completely agree that education is an essential service and incredibly important. Which is all the more reason why it should never be left to governments to mess up.

ReputationRep:
    A first today... On my way to Pittsburgh, I actually saw a few Ron Paul signs along the road.

ReputationRep:
    The Republicans really need someone like Reagan. Ron Paul would be my personal favourite for President but what's the point in making him leader of the Republicans - his views are more out of line with the "faith, flag and family" lot in his own base than the Democrats, so he wouldnt stand much chance. The most important thing is that the Democrats lose - they are at the most leftist they have been since FDR's first term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    Bush the worst President? Three words. L. B. J.
    Agreed.

Buchanan is up there too though.

And I don't agree with the anti-Coolidgeites. He created unprecedented prosperity.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bordergatewayprotocol.net/jon/media/bush/#

Nuff said.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know nearly enough about US political history to say if he's the worst. In my opinion, he certainly isn't a good president. A good president should inspire confidence in the US - and, yes, the world - population. To be honest, I think it's a frightful state of affairs that he is head of the most powerful state in the world.
    To be fair, he does have plenty of advisers who probably make a great deal of his most criticised decisions for him, but at the end of the day responsibility lies on his shoulders.
    I think the fact that he has turned a great deal of the world against the USA says a lot about his legacy. I'm not saying being utterly against an entire country is justified (in fact, I dislike it when people generalise and say "oh, all Americans are morons" based on the machinations of one man), but the arrogance of his government combined with the mess he has made of some crucial situations makes it hard not to see why.

Out of curiosity, does anyone here ever read The Onion? If you're a fan of Bush it may not be for you, as it sends him up brilliantly in some articles.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.