Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Driving from UK to Russia anyone done it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know at first hand or know someone that has driven or is planning to drive to Russia from the UK.?

We have prevoiusly gone by plane but are looking at the logistics and criteria for driving.
    Obviously this will involve driving through a number of countries some in and some outside the EEC I wonder if anyone on here can share their experiences giving the plus and downsides.
    Information would be gratefully accepted or alternatively if anyone may know of other sites on the internet where this information may be readily available.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    don't unlock your doors once you leave the old E.U

ReputationRep:
    Would you be driving for the experience, or are there other reasons?

ReputationRep:
    I tried doing it the other way round once, but the North Sea had the beating of me

ReputationRep:
    No Hayley I am driving with my Russian wife we are going to visit her parents.

Her parents live in deep south Russia and connections from Moscow are infrequent so we thought about driving.
    My wife is not driving yet so this would involve a lot of rest breaks.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I didn't mean visiting Russia as an experience, I was just wondering about the reasoning. But yeah, that makes sense.

I don't know much about it at all. I just hope you have decent seats...

ReputationRep:
    Of course decent seats were going in our BMW the Germans do a few things right and the seats in all German cars are designed for comfort !!

But at the moment seats are not in question we need some constructive info !!

ReputationRep:
    avoid poland.

motorways? what motorways?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin3030)
    No Hayley I am driving with my Russian wife we are going to visit her parents.

Her parents live in deep south Russia and connections from Moscow are infrequent so we thought about driving.
    My wife is not driving yet so this would involve a lot of rest breaks.
    Is this part of deep south Russia, to the east of the Urals?

Btw, this sounds like a ridiculous proposition, of almost Foggian proportions. It takes a solid day and some to drive to Austria by coach, along some of the best roads in Europe (which aren't to be found in Eastern Europe). The immense distance aside, I'd probably be worried about safety.

ReputationRep:
    Might it be easier to research a good car hire firm online, fly to Moscow (or wherever's best), pick up the hire car and drive?

EDIT: I had a look on major reputable car hire firm websites, and it appears that Europcar, Avis and Hertz have a few branches in Moscow.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i don't really understand why you want to drive there unless you have a campavan and park in car parks or something at night (which would be very dodgy in the ex commie block) it's cheaper to just fly there no? and it's a lot less stressful especially as you're the one doing all the driving

ReputationRep:
    Go for it sounds like a lot of fun, just make sure that you're visas are all perfect and be prepared to pay small 'additional taxes' at the borders other than that it sounds cool, Im planning on doing it when i leave Russia next summer and I'm going to be driving back in my Lada - now thats a challenge!!!

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend's Dad has driven from the UK to Russia and back several times. Don't ask me which way he went though!

ReputationRep:
    Jenna perhaps you could ask this is information im looking for !!!

ReputationRep:
    The shortest route would be to take a ferry to Calais (France), the E40 to Bruges (Belgium) then Gent, the E17 to Antwerp, the E34 towards Eindhoven (Holland) then Essen (Germany), Dortmund and Bielefeld, then take the E30, which will take you all the way to Moscow (Russia) via: Hannover, Berlin, Warsaw, Minsk, and Moscow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    The shortest route would be to take a ferry to Calais (France), the E40 to Bruges (Belgium) then Gent, the E17 to Antwerp, the E34 towards Eindhoven (Holland) then Essen (Germany), Dortmund and Bielefeld, then take the E30, which will take you all the way to Moscow (Russia) via: Hannover, Berlin, Warsaw, Minsk, and Moscow
    Whilst thats the most direct route its far from being the nicest, firstly avoid Minsk like the plague its absolutely horrible, id reccomend

france-belgium-germany-czech republic- slovakia-hungary-ukraine-russia

The disadvantage of this route is that it would take a lot longer and youd have a long drive from Kyiv to Moscow (Im assuming thats your final destination) but the countryside is far nicer in Southern Europe and the people more 'interesting'...Ukraine is nothing special but far better than Belarus....

EDIT - i see you're going to deep southern Russia (dodgy as **** if you go too far east) but it means that going through sotherner (?!) parts of Europe make more sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    Whilst thats the most direct route its far from being the nicest, firstly avoid Minsk like the plague its absolutely horrible, id reccomend

france-belgium-germany-czech republic- slovakia-hungary-ukraine-russia

The disadvantage of this route is that it would take a lot longer and youd have a long drive from Kyiv to Moscow (Im assuming thats your final destination) but the countryside is far nicer in Southern Europe and the people more 'interesting'...Ukraine is nothing special but far better than Belarus....

EDIT - i see you're going to deep southern Russia (dodgy as **** if you go too far east) but it means that going through sotherner (?!) parts of Europe make more sense
    is there point detouring to hungary?

ReputationRep:
    Thats one hell of a drive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    is there point detouring to hungary?
    hmmm depends Budapest is a really cool city and hungaries a nice place but they're on such a long journey it might be a strech and I cant remember off the top of my head where Budapest is in Hungary anyway, it really depends if there trying to get there as quick as possible then no, if they want to do it touristy then yes and perhaps just spend less time going through france and germany

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    hmmm depends Budapest is a really cool city and hungaries a nice place but they're on such a long journey it might be a strech and I cant remember off the top of my head where Budapest is in Hungary anyway, it really depends if there trying to get there as quick as possible then no, if they want to do it touristy then yes and perhaps just spend less time going through france and germany
    I think if they wanted to go on holiday to europe, they would have said "driving from UK all over europe anyone done it?"

and if you want to be all touristy, why dont you suggest they take the car to france, spain, morocco, lybia, egypt, israel, lebanon, turkey, georgia, and through the urals etc

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.