Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello :bubbles:
    I'm currently in Year 11.. I am unsure if I should take the Maths A-level an year early, or wait to take it the same time as everyone else.

I took my Maths IGCSE when I was in Year 6, and got an A*. This may look impressive but since then I have lost a lot of interest in maths and haven't done much of maths since then... I feel less confident as I used to be. Now I was planning to do my maths A-level and take the exam in Year 12. However, my school didn't support this and enforced me to take it next year due to the new A level course change next year. Instead, I have been going to GCSE Additional maths which I find pretty frustrating as it isn't much a step-up from IGCSE Maths extended. The school has said that they cannot support me with doing the A level course and I may have to self-study. Is this do-able at all? I plan to self-study and then have the whole of next year to finish the course. This year I do have to focus on other GCSE's as well so I may not get a lot done, so far I have completed C1 and looking onto working through C2. I should mention that I'm not really the type of person who can study just as well alone..I am often really not motivated, specially if nothing's pushing me.

Sometimes I wonder if this would really worth the stress, and if I should really wait one more year and just do the course the same as everyone else, risk-free. Though the thought of getting one A-level out of the way one year early sounds tempting, and if I'm capable of it then I think why not.

What are your thoughts on this?

ReputationRep:
    year SIX bloody hell. i suggest self studying it, i self study bits of it and it’s fairly easy. i recommend mathpapa.com and physicsandmathstutor.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. In fact, for me it was the easiest A Level i took. I would advise that you understand the concepts properly and ask questions to your teacher or on the internet if anything is unclear. For exams, prepare by doing past paper questions. There are types of questions that come up in almost every paper. Once you get used to it, it becomes rather easy. You'll be fine. Dont worry about it. Just make sure you get more than a C for gcse Maths -hopefully an A*- so that your sixth form lets you take Maths A -Level.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.