Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I previously studied a course for 18 months before initially suspending my studies with the university. I was part way through my second year when this happened. My circumstances have now changed, and instead of returning to finish my current degree I'm looking to change.
    I'm now looking at other courses both in England, and Northern Ireland. My original degree was a 5 year sandwich course, and the ones I'm looking at applying for are all 3 year courses.
    What am I eligible to claim for in terms of student finance? I won't be making an application for entry this year, as I'd like to start in September 2017. How many years of student finance can I apply for? Do I have to pay anything upfront? If I want to study in Northern Ireland, is the application still made through student finance England?

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    The application is made where you normally reside and not the country where you wish to study.

You're entitled to length of course + 1 - previous years study. If you have compelling personal reasons as to you why you dropped out, (such as illness or family bereavement) you may be able to get a year back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    The application is made where you normally reside and not the country where you wish to study.

You're entitled to length of course + 1 - previous years study. If you have compelling personal reasons as to you why you dropped out, (such as illness or family bereavement) you may be able to get a year back.
    Thanks
    Does this length of loan apply to both maintenance, and tuition fees? Or is it just one of them?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there

If a student does not have entitlement for a years study due to their previous study, they will still be eligible to receive a means tested Maintenance Loan. Their Tuition Fee Loan a will remain blocked for these years.If you have previous study in one domicile and move to another part of the UK, you should apply to the Award Authority where you are currently resident. For example, if you have lived and studied in England previously but move to Northern Ireland, you would apply to Student Finance NI. However, if you are residing in Northern Ireland solely for the purpose of study, you must apply to Student Finance England.

Should you require any further information please feel free to contact us.

Tel: 0300 100 0607
    (Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Local call rates apply).

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.