The Student Room Group

Sudden Burst of Vertigo

A few minutes ago, while I was doing nothing but sitting at my desk and using my laptop, I had a sudden intense burst of dizziness. It ended after a few seconds but even as I'm typing this now I feel extremely queasy and like the room is going to start spinning again at any second. If I move my head a bit I feel slightly light-headed and unsteady.

I don't know what's wrong. I did have a fairly serious case of labyrinthitis not long ago that caused me to be off school for close to 2 months, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I haven't experienced any dizziness since it went away the first time and I don't think I've done anything that could trigger it. I don't really want to visit my doctor unless I know it could be something serious. Sidenote: I'm a girl and I'm 15 years old, so I don't know if the dizziness could be simply part of a migraine or the like. I've never experienced it in short intense bursts before.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
A few minutes ago, while I was doing nothing but sitting at my desk and using my laptop, I had a sudden intense burst of dizziness. It ended after a few seconds but even as I'm typing this now I feel extremely queasy and like the room is going to start spinning again at any second. If I move my head a bit I feel slightly light-headed and unsteady.

I don't know what's wrong. I did have a fairly serious case of labyrinthitis not long ago that caused me to be off school for close to 2 months, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I haven't experienced any dizziness since it went away the first time and I don't think I've done anything that could trigger it. I don't really want to visit my doctor unless I know it could be something serious. Sidenote: I'm a girl and I'm 15 years old, so I don't know if the dizziness could be simply part of a migraine or the like. I've never experienced it in short intense bursts before.

Call 111. A lot of things can cause that sort of feeling from tiredness to diabeties. If it happens again or you are advised to by 111, go see a doctor. If not, ask a pharmacist at some point.
If you feel like you are going to pass out or are feeling physically very ill, make a point of contacting somebody- 111, out of hours doctor etc.
Alos, see if somebody can stay with you to make sure you are okay and don't get worse and don't drive, climb ladders, opperate power tools etc etc until you are sure you are better. You don't want to hurt yourself if you feel fain or pass out.
Reply 2
It sounds like a type of vertigo called BPPV (Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). This can cause intense vertigo which only lasts a few seconds to just under a minute but it can enough to make you actually fall down and be unable to get back up until it passes. I get this often and the first time I got it, I went to the doctor expecting to hear I had something deadly because the vertigo attack came on so suddenly and I literally fell to the ground due to it. I also felt very panicky, nauseous and unsteady on my feet after it for an hour or so. I've had it many times since and it still scares me when I get it. I literally felt like someone grabbed me and pushed me to the floor and spun me and the room around when I first got it. I didn't ever think I could experience dizziness that extreme.

Past ear infections, moving your head certain ways and inner ear conditions such as Meinere's Disease (what I have) can cause it. Its not serious but feels horrible and can be dangerous if you got an attack while outside and near a road or something but its not usually the sign of a serious condition.

I'm not saying that is what it definitely is but it does sound very, very similar to my experiences with BPPV. If your dizziness continues or gets worse then I would advise calling up NHS111 to see what they advise but for now, try and rest as much as you can.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Spock's Socks
It sounds like a type of vertigo called BPPV (Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). This can cause intense vertigo which only lasts a few seconds to just under a minute but it can enough to make you actually fall down and be unable to get back up until it passes. I get this often and the first time I got it, I went to the doctor expecting to hear I had something deadly because the vertigo attack came on so suddenly and I literally fell to the ground due to it. I also felt very panicky, nauseous and unsteady on my feet after it for an hour or so. I've had it many times since and it still scares me when I get it. I literally felt like someone grabbed me and pushed me to the floor and spun me and the room around when I first got it. I didn't ever think I could experience dizziness that extreme.

Past ear infections, moving your head certain ways and inner ear conditions such as Meinere's Disease (what I have) can cause it. Its not serious but feels horrible and can be dangerous if you got an attack while outside and near a road or something but its not usually the sign of a serious condition.

I'm not saying that is what it definitely is but it does sound very, very similar to my experiences with BPPV. If your dizziness continues or gets worse then I would advise calling up NHS111 to see what they advise but for now, try and rest as much as you can.

Bppv And menieres are not the same thing. Bppv not being associated with tinnitus and hearing loss. Although the vertigo symptoms are similar. I personally would go to the gp rather than call 111 as they're not medically trained. If it does turn out to be bppv there are maneuvers that the gp can perform to help with your symptoms. Although from what you describe it's likely that this is another bout of labyrinthitis, which is self limiting but can be supported with anti sickness medication. Of course I'd better add the disclaimer that a full history and examination would be the only way to properly illicit your problem. I know that this is a debilitating problem so I do hope you feel better soon.
Reply 4
Original post by Sean3000
Bppv And menieres are not the same thing. Bppv not being associated with tinnitus and hearing loss. Although the vertigo symptoms are similar. I personally would go to the gp rather than call 111 as they're not medically trained. If it does turn out to be bppv there are maneuvers that the gp can perform to help with your symptoms. Although from what you describe it's likely that this is another bout of labyrinthitis, which is self limiting but can be supported with anti sickness medication. Of course I'd better add the disclaimer that a full history and examination would be the only way to properly illicit your problem. I know that this is a debilitating problem so I do hope you feel better soon.

111 is not in place of seeing the GP, but is still helpful. In cases where there is a potential for immidiate issues it helps to call them to make sure you don't have to see anybody sooner than the GP. They advise on who to see and act as a triage rather than medical advice (although they may put you on to a doctor or nurse). They can also call you an ambulance, book you in to see out of hours doctors, tell you (and your surgery) if you need a more urgent appointment than the usual 2 week wait etc.
Not trying to contradict you, just I know there is a bit of hate out there for 111, but honestly it's helped me a lot and is very good, you just need to know what it's there for and what it's not. :biggrin:

OP, hope you're doing okay and get this all sorted out soon. If you haven't spoke to anybody about it yet I would, even if it seems to have gone away. If nothing else it will just help you stop worrying about what it could be :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest