Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to do General Engineering at the University of Cambridge which has entry requirements: A*A*A. I'm currently in A2, studying Maths Further Maths and Physics. I studied Chemistry for a whole year but decided to drop it recently. I believe that I was predicted AAB when my application was sent off. For my AS exams I got A overall in Maths and B overall in Further Maths. I'm planning to retake D1 because I got a C in it, all my other modules were A grade.

My GCSE Grades: 7As, 3A*s
    My AS UMS marks:
    -Further Pure: 81
    -Stats 2: 82
    -Decision 1: 64
    -Core Maths 1: 80
    -Core Maths 2: 87
    -Stats 1: 91
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ImStudent101)
    I am applying to do General Engineering at the University of Cambridge which has entry requirements: A*A*A. I'm currently in A2, studying Maths Further Maths and Physics. I studied Chemistry for a whole year but decided to drop it recently. I believe that I was predicted AAB when my application was sent off. For my AS exams I got A overall in Maths and B overall in Further Maths. I'm planning to retake D1 because I got a C in it, all my other modules were A grade.

My GCSE Grades: 7As, 3A*s
    My AS UMS marks:
    -Further Pure: 81
    -Stats 2: 82
    -Decision 1: 64
    -Core Maths 1: 80
    -Core Maths 2: 87
    -Stats 1: 91
    You applied with AAB predictions? And your maths UMS, even ignoring D1, are a bit lower than the average succesful applicant. Unfortunately I doubt it will be sufficient to get you an interview. Did you register for the ENGAA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You applied with AAB predictions? And your maths UMS, even ignoring D1, are a bit lower than the average succesful applicant. Unfortunately I doubt it will be sufficient to get you an interview. Did you register for the ENGAA?
    Yep I've registered for the ENGAA. I feel like my school's predictions were very low though, it was a recurring problem for everyone at my school. Anyways, thanks for the response
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ImStudent101)
    Yep I've registered for the ENGAA. I feel like my school's predictions were very low though, it was a recurring problem for everyone at my school. Anyways, thanks for the response
    Cambridge doesn't usually pay a whole lot of attention to predictions but if they are below the typical offer, and AAB is very below A*A*A, they will certainly notice and it's likely to affect your application.

Your best bet (if Cambridge really is your goal) will probably be to use this as a "trial run", then ace your A-levels and re-apply next cycle with A*A*A+ achieved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Cambridge doesn't usually pay a whole lot of attention to predictions but if they are below the typical offer, and AAB is very below A*A*A, they will certainly notice and it's likely to affect your application.

Your best bet (if Cambridge really is your goal) will probably be to use this as a "trial run", then ace your A-levels and re-apply next cycle with A*A*A+ achieved.
    Do you think that performance in the ENGAA is weighted heavily when they decide who to call for an interview?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.