Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just got an offer from Southampton however the condition they asked for were higher than my predicted grades? I am a bit confused haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahmzo)
    I just got an offer from Southampton however the condition they asked for were higher than my predicted grades? I am a bit confused haha
    This does sometimes happen with universities. You could try giving them a call or email to double check they have given you the correct offer.

ReputationRep:
    That is not unusual. People often apply for courses with entry requirements above their predictions if they are confident/hopeful of achieving good results. If you want to go to Southampton you need to achieve better results than your teachers have predicted. Do you think that is possible for you to do? Presumably you knew when you applied what the typical Southampton offer was for your course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Had you any reason to expect a lower offer than the one you received?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Had you any reason to expect a lower offer than the one you received?
    I thought my school fell into the contexual offer like it does for Bristol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    That is not unusual. People often apply for courses with entry requirements above their predictions if they are confident/hopeful of achieving good results. If you want to go to Southampton you need to achieve better results than your teachers have predicted. Do you think that is possible for you to do? Presumably you knew when you applied what the typical Southampton offer was for your course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I will work hard for the grades but i thought my school fell under the contexual offer, like it does for Bristol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought my school fell into the contexual offer like it does for Bristol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know if Bristol and Southampton use the same criteria, but you can check whether your school is on Southampton's list here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/student...dmissions.page.

If it is, then contact Southampton and ask why you didn't receive a contextual offer.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if Bristol and Southampton use the same criteria, but you can check whether your school is on Southampton's list here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/student...dmissions.page.

If it is, then contact Southampton and ask why you didn't receive a contextual offer.
    That is really annoying. My school is in the middle quartile and hence doesnt fall into the contexual offer. Whereas my schools name does fall under Bristols contexual list.

I know my school is under achieving especially considering i had to self teach one of my own subjects.

Oh well, Bristol was my no1 choice. I just hope i get an offer from them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That is really annoying. My school is in the middle quartile and hence doesnt fall into the contexual offer. Whereas my schools name does fall under Bristols contexual list.

I know my school is under achieving especially considering i had to self teach one of my own subjects.

Oh well, Bristol was my no1 choice. I just hope i get an offer from them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Annoying but avoidable given that the data was readily available.

ReputationRep:
    Annoying but avoidable given that the data was readily available.
    But its not really fair or makes sense if an under achieving school is flagged for one University but not another. I am still lucky i got that offer. Its 1 in every 8 applicants. Just need to work extra hard now to get that 90 in c3 and c4 lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But its not really fair or makes sense if an under achieving school is flagged for one University but not another. I am still lucky i got that offer. Its 1 in every 8 applicants. Just need to work extra hard now to get that 90 in c3 and c4 lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perhaps other schools benefit for Southampton but not Bristol. In any case, it's not a matter of being 'fair' in the sense of universal - universities have their own admissions policies and it's up to applicants to work out what is best for them individually.

Yep, good luck!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.