The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS University of London Rep - 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NaisyX
Hi everyone!

I've applied for BA Japanese and BA Japanese studies and received an offer for both, woo!

I studied maths, further maths and philosophy at college and did an epq on Japanese women in employment.

I'm most looking forward to being able to focus on a subject I'm really passionate and meet people with similar interests. So exciting!

Hi NaisyX,

Congratulations on your offers! :excited:

We have two insight days coming up on 22 February and 27 April, which are a great opportunity for offer holders to come and have a look around, meet current students and academics, and find out more about the course through workshops and information sessions. We will be sending out invites for these events to offer holders in the next few weeks.

Laura
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by SOAS Student Helper
Are you interested in SOAS and thinking about applying this year? Feel free to ask us questions, let us know your interests and get talking to other applicants. You can give us a tag @SOAS Student Helper

Here are some questions to get you started:

What are you applying for?
What qualifications are you studying?
What are you most looking forward to at uni?

Laura, Darryl, Vian and Tom :flip:

Hi, I recently received and offer for anthropology with development at soas, the letter asks for a colour scan of two a level certificates that i already have but didn't say where to send them, would this just be the admissions email? Thanks !!
Original post by tahliah.11
Hi, I recently received and offer for anthropology with development at soas, the letter asks for a colour scan of two a level certificates that i already have but didn't say where to send them, would this just be the admissions email? Thanks !!

Hi tahliah.11,

Yes you're exactly right, the admissions team need you to send colour scans of those certificates to [email protected] along with your UCAS ID number. Once you have done this they will attach the documents to your application and they will update your offer once they have confirmed your results. :h:

Laura
Hi,

Ive applied for International management in North Africa and Middle East! I have received an offer !! which I'm very excited about as SOAS is my first choice.

I'm currently studying IB with english lit, geography and psychology at HL.

I'm looking forward to the atmosphere in SOAS and what I'll be studying!
Original post by Rolla_hz
Hi,

Ive applied for International management in North Africa and Middle East! I have received an offer !! which I'm very excited about as SOAS is my first choice.

I'm currently studying IB with english lit, geography and psychology at HL.

I'm looking forward to the atmosphere in SOAS and what I'll be studying!

:five: Congratulations on your offer!! Hope to see you at SOAS soon.

If you have any questions for us, we would be happy to help.

Laura
Hi im an international student who applied to the LLB course around November time, still haven't gotten a response on whether or not I've been accepted? Any idea how long ill have to wait for??
SOAS is my dream uni, would do anything for an acceptance
Original post by LegalArab
Hi im an international student who applied to the LLB course around November time, still haven't gotten a response on whether or not I've been accepted? Any idea how long ill have to wait for??
SOAS is my dream uni, would do anything for an acceptance

Hi LegalArab,

I'm really sorry to hear you haven't received a response from us yet, normally our admissions team aim to process complete applications within 20 working days. Don't worry though, the best thing to do is to email our undergraduate admissions team ([email protected]) with your UCAS ID number and they will look into it as soon as possible!

Laura
They just responded saying they have just made a decision and UCAS will alert me to it tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed its an acceptance.
Thank you for your help :smile:)))))

Hi LegalArab,

I'm really sorry to hear you haven't received a response from us yet, normally our admissions team aim to process complete applications within 20 working days. Don't worry though, the best thing to do is to email our undergraduate admissions team ([email protected]) with your UCAS ID number and they will look into it as soon as possible!

Laura
Original post by LegalArab
They just responded saying they have just made a decision and UCAS will alert me to it tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed its an acceptance.
Thank you for your help :smile:)))))

No problem at all :h:

Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

Laura
Hi All,

Anyone interested in testing their worldly wisdom? You might want to give our new SOAS quiz a go:

https://www.soas.ac.uk/blogs/study/soas-quiz/

How's your global knowledge? :smartass:
Reply 30
Hi,

I recently applied for the PhD economics programme. I had two quick questions.

Firstly, I was wondering how long it takes for an application to be sent to the academics if everything is submitted at the same time. My references were completed before I submitted my final application.

Secondly. do I have to live in London if I am applying for part time PhD study?

Thanks in advance
Original post by jeank
Hi,

I recently applied for the PhD economics programme. I had two quick questions.

Firstly, I was wondering how long it takes for an application to be sent to the academics if everything is submitted at the same time. My references were completed before I submitted my final application.

Secondly. do I have to live in London if I am applying for part time PhD study?

Thanks in advance

Hi jeank,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

If everything has been submitted including the references and if the application is complete when we receive it, it usually takes around 7-10 working days for our research admissions team to make an initial assessment before passing it onto the academic department (provided that nothing is missing). You should receive an email from the admissions team at this stage. As we are currently receiving a high volume of applications it is taking the admissions team slightly longer to make the initial assessment at the moment, so please don't be worried if 10 days pass and you haven't heard from them. They are working to process applications as quickly as possible!

Once the application has been passed on to the department it usually takes another 5 - 8 weeks for them to process.

Research degrees are continuous and taught course term breaks do not apply to these programmes. You would be expected to be based in London (or within reasonable commuting distance) throughout your studies with the exception of periods of approved overseas fieldwork, regardless of whether you are studying full-time or part-time.

I hope this all helps, please get in touch if you have more questions. If you would like to contact the admissions team directly with queries about your application, you can email [email protected]

Laura
Reply 32
Hi,

I have applied and been given an offer for BA International Relations, starting Sept. 2017.

However, as I am currently having a gap year, living in China and learning Mandarin, I started to wonder whether and how it is possible for me to continue with my Mandarin studies at SOAS. I am considering to change to BA International Relations and Chinese. Is it difficult to change subject since I already have an offer? What are some students' experience with the exchange year in Beijing? Also, I looked at what is called the "Language Centre" at SOAS - does that mean I can combine one Chinese course while studying international relations? Which one of the two is the most beneficial you think?

Very much looking forward to studying at SOAS and of course to live in London!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Marihs
Hi,

I have applied and been given an offer for BA International Relations, starting Sept. 2017.

However, as I am currently having a gap year, living in China and learning Mandarin, I started to wonder whether and how it is possible for me to continue with my Mandarin studies at SOAS. I am considering to change to BA International Relations and Chinese. Is it difficult to change subject since I already have an offer? What are some students' experience with the exchange year in Beijing? Also, I looked at what is called the "Language Centre" at SOAS - does that mean I can combine one Chinese course while studying international relations? Which one of the two is the most beneficial you think?

Very much looking forward to studying at SOAS and of course to live in London!

Hi Marihs,

Great to hear you have an offer with us! There are a few options in terms of studying a language alongside/as part of your degree, which I will list here:

1: You can request a course change to BA International Relations and Chinese. You would need to contact the undergraduate admissions team by email ([email protected]) including your UCAS number and a supplementary statement about your interest in studying Chinese. You will then be considered by the new department for the combined programme. The application will need to be considered again and so the change isn't guaranteed. It is also best to apply as early as possible in the application cycle if you do wish to change. If the admissions team are able to offer you a place on the combined course, it would be a change to the four year programme with a language year abroad in year 2. It is best to take a look at the structure tab on the BA Chinese and... course page to get a better idea of the units you would take.

2: You could take ‘open option’ units in Chinese as part of your BA International Relations course. You would be able to select one ‘open option’ unit in another department per year of your three year degree.

3: Finally you could take a Chinese course as part of the Language Entitlement Programme. This is a free language course that doesn't count towards your degree and can be taken at any time during your SOAS studies. It is usually 10 weeks in length consisting of a couple of hours of contact time per week.

Let me know if you have more questions about any of these :h:

Laura
I got an offer AAA for Management with Japanese but i told them my predicted grade is BBB. Im really scared i dont think the chances of me getting AAA are high at all. Do you wreckon they would take me in with my origional predicted grade.
Original post by sara_khaleqyar
I got an offer AAA for Management with Japanese but i told them my predicted grade is BBB. Im really scared i dont think the chances of me getting AAA are high at all. Do you wreckon they would take me in with my origional predicted grade.

Hi sara_khaleqyar,

As this is related to your specific application, it would be difficult for me to advise. I would suggest you contact the admissions team at SOAS for further guidance. You can get in touch by emailing [email protected], it is best to provide your UCAS ID when you do this.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help on this but let me know if you have any other questions.

Laura
Reply 36
Hi I've just recently accepted Soas as my firm choice for studying Korean and Development Studies. I recently got an email saying that I will receive a serial number to start applying for accommodation by Jan 2017 but its Feb. I'm slightly confused and was wondering when I will get this? Thank you in advance :smile:
Reply 37
Hi jeank,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

If everything has been submitted including the references and if the application is complete when we receive it, it usually takes around 7-10 working days for our research admissions team to make an initial assessment before passing it onto the academic department (provided that nothing is missing). You should receive an email from the admissions team at this stage. As we are currently receiving a high volume of applications it is taking the admissions team slightly longer to make the initial assessment at the moment, so please don't be worried if 10 days pass and you haven't heard from them. They are working to process applications as quickly as possible!

Once the application has been passed on to the department it usually takes another 5 - 8 weeks for them to process.

Research degrees are continuous and taught course term breaks do not apply to these programmes. You would be expected to be based in London (or within reasonable commuting distance) throughout your studies with the exception of periods of approved overseas fieldwork, regardless of whether you are studying full-time or part-time.

I hope this all helps, please get in touch if you have more questions. If you would like to contact the admissions team directly with queries about your application, you can email [email protected]

Laura

Thanks for your help on this Laura. My application was moved to academic review yesterday.
Original post by jngo
Hi I've just recently accepted Soas as my firm choice for studying Korean and Development Studies. I recently got an email saying that I will receive a serial number to start applying for accommodation by Jan 2017 but its Feb. I'm slightly confused and was wondering when I will get this? Thank you in advance :smile:

Hi jngo,

Apologies for any confusion the email caused you. Our accommodation team are currently reviewing the application process and all firm offer holders will soon be receiving a further email with options, instructions and the link to apply in good time of applications opening which is likely to be in mid-March. This is later than originally advertised but don't worry you haven't missed anything.

I hope this provides some reassurance and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Laura
Original post by jeank
Thanks for your help on this Laura. My application was moved to academic review yesterday.

No worries, glad to hear it was helpful and that your application is now at the next stage! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest