Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey
    wel i got my AS results
    chem-U
    BIO-A
    eng-B
    criticl thinking-B

gcse results (6A's double science,IT/RE,eng lang,Art,design tech, 4 B's Maths,french,geog,eng lit)
    i revised too much for biology and not enough or chem..i know its my own fault!
    im carrying on biology and english onto A2, and criticl thinking is AS only...the thing is i need 3 alevels so i need to do A2 chem

i highly doubt my chem teacher would let me carry onto A2 as i failed AS ( 7/11 people in my chemistry class got E/U)

so im thinking shall i move to a college where they let me carry on biology and english, and let me do an intensive a-level course where i do as/a2 in on year

i know it will be alot of hard work! but im willing to do it
    i havent got the grades for medicine
    so im goign to apply for biomedical science at unis who want ABC then hopefully apply to med as a graduate

and also when is the new a* beign introduced?..its not this septemebr riighttt?
    i also wondered, im not going to get high a2 predicitons (maybe for bio and english..but not for chem) im sure i can pull up my a2 grades to A's and B's if i actually work hard....so i was thinking shal i apply for university next summer-when i have my actualy a2 grades...then in my personal staemnt say im takign a gap year to do work exp?

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure about the gap yr business...but im in a similar situation...im dropping computing coz i hate it, and i hate chem too...and i got a U for both...
    so i only have 2 AS'es ...
    heres wut am gonna do...resit my Chem AS and bring it up to a B or a C...
    so that i have three AS's...
    and then just carry on with Physics Maths and add Further maths (intensive) for A2....
    so heres sum advice for ya...resit ur chem, and pull it up to a C atleast...and then take another subject for A2 and do an intensive course on it...
    hope it helped... am in a similar situation...the *******ed up situation..lol
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The A* grade won't affect you.

Personally I'd recommend you dropped chemistry. Even without revision, to be blunt, a U is pretty awful. But you got ABB, so well done - why not just concentrate on those three? You could resit the lower sixth if you wanted, but your results seem good enough to me, unless you really think that U in chemistry means you've wasted the year... but, maybe you're simply not that good at chemistry?

Don't lie in your PS. Say you're taking a gap year if you're taking a gap year; if you're just resitting the lower sixth and applying a year later, say nothing, it's unimportant and they won't ask.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    you you need chemistry to do biomed sci or something? Can you get onto grad med with a different degree such as biology, physiology- ie more biology based ones. It seems your really good at biology but not chemistry. Choose another subject - i know maths is usually quite helpful in science based degrees. Or alternatively repeat AS chemistry...

I would be a bit concerned about the quality of the teaching if the majority of people failed or got an E! Is there anywhere else you could take your A-levels?

your choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    The A* grade won't affect you.

Personally I'd recommend you dropped chemistry. Even without revision, to be blunt, a U is pretty awful. But you got ABB, so well done - why not just concentrate on those three? You could resit the lower sixth if you wanted, but your results seem good enough to me, unless you really think that U in chemistry means you've wasted the year... but, maybe you're simply not that good at chemistry?

Don't lie in your PS. Say you're taking a gap year if you're taking a gap year; if you're just resitting the lower sixth and applying a year later, say nothing, it's unimportant and they won't ask.

thanks for the replies!
    i was actualyl planning to take a gap year
    i know i did realllllly awful in chemistry..a U is just amazingly bad
    I got ABB but critical thinking is AS only so i need 3 alevels
    the thing is i want to do a science degree and most of them want chemistry and another science subjct and so i need chemistry hmm
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by shar7p)
    thanks for the replies!
    i was actualyl planning to take a gap year
    i know i did realllllly awful in chemistry..a U is just amazingly bad
    the thing is i want to do a science degree and most of them want chemistry and another science subjct and so i need chemistry hmm
    I hate to sound rude here, but if you're that bad at chemistry, why do a degree that requires chemistry? Maybe you're not bad at chemistry, I dunno, maybe you were ill when you sat the exam or didn't turn up to lessons because you hated the teacher, I have no idea... but a U, even without revision, assuming you did go to lessons and do your work and stuff, is pretty bad. Maybe you could do a biology degree? You'd need another science for that, but maths or physics would probably do just as well.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    as above - choose a biology based degree. Medicine, biomed science will need chemistry- because the courses study chemistry in more depth.

If the degree needs another science physics/maths as said above usually count.

ReputationRep:
    Since Critical Thinking is only AS, could you not take another AS subject to add up to the full A Level? I know some Unis take 2 ASs as 1 A Level? Maybe repeat Chem and get a B, therefore getting two Bs at AS would give you a B overall? Sorry I'm not 100% on this stuff.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I did chemistry and i don't think you would be capable of getting a B even after redoing it. Chemistry is about applying and understanding, not just learning the content. Obviously to get the U you didn't do this. but syaing that i would see if you could get a different teacher if you did choose to resit, a teacher where 7/11 got E's or U's is a bad teacher!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    I did chemistry and i don't think you would be capable of getting a B even after redoing it. Chemistry is about applying and understanding, not just learning the content. Obviously to get the U you didn't do this. but syaing that i would see if you could get a different teacher if you did choose to resit, a teacher where 7/11 got E's or U's is a bad teacher!
    It's not just the teacher though, the student is the one who sits the exam... My Maths teacher concentrated on one student out of a class of 25 and I had to learn my whole algebra, shape space and measure module by myself because I knew she wasn't the best at teaching. So it's kinda up to the student in the long run, even if the teacher is crap. And especially at A Level where you have modules and you see at your January one that you got a U, then your next one you got a U, you would be thinking that you would have to do something about it? Can't depend on the teacher 100%, regardless of he/she being a good teacher or not... Although as you said, a teacher who only got 4 students to pass out of 11, doesn't seem to be the best teacher...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeski)
    It's not just the teacher though, the student is the one who sits the exam... My Maths teacher concentrated on one student out of a class of 25 and I had to learn my whole algebra, shape space and measure module by myself because I knew she wasn't the best at teaching. So it's kinda up to the student in the long run, even if the teacher is crap. And especially at A Level where you have modules and you see at your January one that you got a U, then your next one you got a U, you would be thinking that you would have to do something about it? Can't depend on the teacher 100%, regardless of he/she being a good teacher or not... Although as you said, a teacher who only got 4 students to pass out of 11, doesn't seem to be the best teacher...
    im the original poster and i compeltely agree with you
    as i said before its my own fault..im not blaming the teacher. in biology my teacher was c**p but i managed an A because i worked hard for my grade..i personally feel if i were to attempt to try in chemistyr i coudl do it! i know you probably all think im giving myself false hope but i literally this year put no effort or revision into chemistry which of course was a stupid mistake..but i cant go back now and im going to learn from my mistakes

i know its a little to late but the world hasnt ended for me.
    thnaks for all your advice
    i take it into consideration..i understand why people think i will fail again if i do try...the rest of my family thinks i shouldnt do an intensive course as il fail

ive just emailed a professer at imperial who teaches medicine...he is going to give me his reccomendation

ReputationRep:
    oh and mikesi what you said

"you see at your January one that you got a U, then your next one you got a U, you would be thinking that you would have to do something about it?"

i forgot to say that i did my first chemistry unit in january
    however the papers were in a delivery van and was stolen.( i know it soudns crazy)
    but thats what hapepend
    i had no feedback as to what i got on the january examm
    so i has to do all 3 untis in june and failed
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    didn't you get an idea of how you were performing from mock papers before the exam??

Your planning on doing medicine, medicine contains a lot of chemistry, you really need A in chemistry, do you think this is achieveable?

Also, in medicine, you won't be able to pick and choose the subjects you revise, you may get a chance to resit once, but you will only be able to resit failed modules,a nd theres usually a maximum to resit.

What i'm saying is, if you think you can pass, then go for it, but before you do talk it through with teachers they know you, and know if you can perform better.

Make an informed choice.

ReputationRep:
    didn't you get an idea of how you were performing from mock papers before the exam??

Your planning on doing medicine, medicine contains a lot of chemistry, you really need A in chemistry, do you think this is achieveable?

Also, in medicine, you won't be able to pick and choose the subjects you revise, you may get a chance to resit once, but you will only be able to resit failed modules,a nd theres usually a maximum to resit.

What i'm saying is, if you think you can pass, then go for it, but before you do talk it through with teachers they know you, and know if you can perform better.

Make an informed choice.

we only did one mock paper and that was for the january one...i got a C in it..but then when the papers were stolen and we had to resit it in june we focused on the other units
    for the other units we did no mock papers
    we got practice exam papers but no mark schemes for it so we never knew how we were doing
    i will talk it through with my teachers
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't know how they expect you to learn and do well if your not getting mark schemes - maybe this year then, ask for lots of past papers, and mark schemes only after you've attempted them. that way you'll get a better estimation of your progress.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how they expect you to learn and do well if your not getting mark schemes - maybe this year then, ask for lots of past papers, and mark schemes only after you've attempted them. that way you'll get a better estimation of your progress.

yeah i know , i couldnt check my progress as i didnt have the mark schemes.i did edexcel and couldnt find any online,however last minute my friend had found some online and sent them to me.it was too late.
    in biology we were given them. they really helped.

yeah i will definetly be askin my teachers for mark schemes

ReputationRep:
    I would advise that you check out all of the medicine courses that you are thinking of applying to and see what the requirements are. I have researched this myself (but only at certain unis) and found that even for graduate entry that A level chemistry is required, quite often with an A or B grade. And don't forget that for some graduate courses you need to sit the GAMSAT which is basically A level physics, chemistry and biology as well as writing essays etc. Graduate entry is also much more competitive than the 5 year course.

So I would suggest you research this very carefully if you are serious about studying medicine, as 4/5 years down the line you could be turned down because you don't have chemistry A level. It would be so much better for you now to resit it and get a good grade, but you will need to put the work in to achieve this.

I am sure there are some medical courses out there that won't ask for it, but you would find medicine very difficult without it - especially graduate entry where the course is much more intense because the 5 year course is condensed into 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenmile)
    I would advise that you check out all of the medicine courses that you are thinking of applying to and see what the requirements are. I have researched this myself (but only at certain unis) and found that even for graduate entry that A level chemistry is required, quite often with an A or B grade. And don't forget that for some graduate courses you need to sit the GAMSAT which is basically A level physics, chemistry and biology as well as writing essays etc. Graduate entry is also much more competitive than the 5 year course.

So I would suggest you research this very carefully if you are serious about studying medicine, as 4/5 years down the line you could be turned down because you don't have chemistry A level. It would be so much better for you now to resit it and get a good grade, but you will need to put the work in to achieve this.

I am sure there are some medical courses out there that won't ask for it, but you would find medicine very difficult without it - especially graduate entry where the course is much more intense because the 5 year course is condensed into 4.
    thanks for this info,its very helpful
    im thinking of redoing as,and getting the best grade i can in chemistry
    then applying for uni in sep 2008, and takign a gap year to do the work exp
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    thats a good plan - however just be aware your chemistry may still not reach the grade required, bearing in mind the difficulty of A2. Think of other options if in the long run you can't do medicine.

ReputationRep:
    thats a good plan - however just be aware your chemistry may still not reach the grade required, bearing in mind the difficulty of A2. Think of other options if in the long run you can't do medicine.
    thanks..are you talking bout me applyign after a2's and taking a gap year a good plan?

yeahh as/a2 chem wil be alot of stress and work-ill think of a plan B if i do fail...again
    thnks for alll of your replies! theyve really helped

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.