Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    i guess so - i think i had to send mine back, i put it all in an envelope, but mis laid it and only remembered a day before the deadline, i emailed the admissions tutor and he said it was OK, but to post it back for their records.

ReputationRep:
    on my letter it was confusing. but i rang up both ucl and ucas and they sed u dont need to send it. theres is a bold print saying that 'ucl assumes you will take up your place. only return this form if you wish to withdraw' so obv u dnt send.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanY)
    I phoned UCAS today due to similar reasons. On the letter, it said to tick the appropriate box and send within 14 days, but then it said at the bottom of my slip - do not return this slip, so I asked them just in case and they told me not to send it. So it's all good. They told me there's huge confusion over this lol
    yea the woman said alot of calls were made bcoz of this, lots ppl are confused. she said don't send it. double checked with my uni and they sed no to send it.

dam just realised i double posted.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got a confirmation letter from UCAS, i checked track the morning of results and it said 'congratulations!' etc, yet i've heard nothing else. Um, is this a bad sign?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please answer my following query, as this thread has gotten me really worried.

I understand that lots of you have been told not to return the slip...

Well on my letter, it said that I had to return the slip within 14 days and tick the appropriate box.

My slip had 2 boxes, 1st box being accept the place and 2nd box being do not accept the place and give reasons why.

I ticked the first box, that I accept the place, and sent it to the uni address that was provided.

Surely this is right?

Can someone reassure me that it just differs between unis?

ReputationRep:
    Yep thats 100% fine

I was majorly confused about this also

Mine was for Bristol medicine, and the slip said

"DO NOT RETURN THIS SLIP"

but i was really confused. rang them up and like a few others unis mentioned here they assume u taken the place unless u email them.

If they provide an adress then send

Also if ur totaly confused like i was , no harm in phoning to make sure

ReputationRep:
    Got mine today too.

You just do what it says on the slip at the bottom. Mine said not to return it unless I wasn't taking the place.

ReputationRep:
    On my slip it has a box with 'i wish to take the place' and 'i do not wish to take the place' and you tick whichever one applies.... so, in my case, this implies that you must post the slip back regardless of your decision, otherwise there wouldn't be a box with 'i wish to take the place' would there?

Here's a question to people who were told not to return the slip...
    What was on the slip? Was there any boxes to tick that said 'i wish to take the place'?

ReputationRep:
    I assume that everybody gets the same basic letter, with the slip included, regardless of whether they need to return it. This would save UCAS vast amounts of time, as whether or not you reply varies between universities and possibly even between departments / colleges. On my letter, the reply slip had a bold message saying that Cardiff assime I'm accepting my offer and that I shouldn't reply. This most likely gets added as an afterthought. Unless your reply slip said "ZOMG DON'T SEND ME BACK there MATE", I think it's fair to assume that you need to send it back.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    the letters are generally the same apart from the phrase at the bottom - some unis do want you to return the slip.

ReputationRep:
    Well, in my case, I ticked a box saying that i wish to take up the place.

So I MUST be safe, right?

I keep worrying too much
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    yes - if you send it back ticking the box you want the place then you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    This thread has got me worried.

I got my AS12 letter today and I sent off the bottom part but now I'm not sure if I was supposed to. The bottom bit had the address of my university and it asked me to tick a box to confirm my place or tick another box if I didn't want the place anymore. I obviously ticked the box saying I wanted the place and I sent it off to the address that written just above the question.

Did I do the right thing? Reading to what others have said here, I'm now not sure if it did actually say "Do not reply if you want your place" or anything like that. Would I be ok because I did actually say I wanted a place on the course?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    it won't have harmed your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AesopRock)
    This thread has got me worried.

I got my AS12 letter today and I sent off the bottom part but now I'm not sure if I was supposed to. The bottom bit had the address of my university and it asked me to tick a box to confirm my place or tick another box if I didn't want the place anymore. I obviously ticked the box saying I wanted the place and I sent it off to the address that written just above the question.

Did I do the right thing? Reading to what others have said here, I'm now not sure if it did actually say "Do not reply if you want your place" or anything like that. Would I be ok because I did actually say I wanted a place on the course?
    Exactly the same for me.

I am really glad that someone else is in the same boat as me.

If we both ticked 'i want the place' then the uni will obviously know that we want the place.... right? I hope so anyway!

If you're not supposed to return it if you want your place, then why on earth would there be a box saying 'i wish to take up my place'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _jarv_)
    Exactly the same for me.

I am really glad that someone else is in the same boat as me.

If we both ticked 'i want the place' then the uni will obviously know that we want the place.... right? I hope so anyway!

If you're not supposed to return it if you want your place, then why on earth would there be a box saying 'i wish to take up my place'?
    They're legally bound to accept you. You could probably send them a letter calling all the admissions staff fat gits and they'd still have to let you in.

ReputationRep:
    Hey _jarv_ and AesopRock I did the same as you guys. My letter said I had to send the slip to the address given (if there was one) and tick the box that applied to me. It didn't mention anything about my university 'assuming' that I had accepted my offer by not returning the slip, so I think I did the right thing by filling in the slip and posting it .
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Don't worry - providing you ticked the right box, it wouldn't matter if you sent it back and didn't need to. They aren't going to chuck you out for sending them a bit of paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    Don't worry - providing you ticked the right box, it wouldn't matter if you sent it back and didn't need to. They aren't going to chuck you out for sending them a bit of paper.
    ^That's good to know . Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    a lot were sent out on wednesday.

Basically whichever date your place gets confirmed on Track UCAS bung youre letter in the post the next day and then it can take however long royal mail take to get to you
    so does that include saturday? i mean if my place is confirmed on track late friday night, will they send off the letter on saturday?

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.