Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My university recently posted up an ad for a TEFL qualification and at first I was jumping for joy, I was really happy, but then I read that there was going to be a 2 day lesson involved I was knocked back to reality, I know to actually work in schools with kids and others id have to get up and actually speak in front of people, but that would be in a couple years time so I wasn't going to worry about it to much, more like future me's problem, BUT it would become a problem now if I did the TEFL, im horribly shy I cant even look others in the eye and I stutter alot, during the 2 days I have in the TEFL class we have to actually get up and teach twice which horrify's me, but the thing is I have to get up and do presentations on my uni course often (Animation) so I should be used to it but the more presentations I do the worse I seem to get.

So the question im asking is, is it too much of a stretch to have someone with social anxiety teach others language? I think language is important and im trying to currently learn as much as I can about other languages and culture so the thought of helping others speak another language is something that makes me really happy, but im terrified.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by heyoka)
    My university recently posted up an ad for a TEFL qualification and at first I was jumping for joy, I was really happy, but then I read that there was going to be a 2 day lesson involved I was knocked back to reality, I know to actually work in schools with kids and others id have to get up and actually speak in front of people, but that would be in a couple years time so I wasn't going to worry about it to much, more like future me's problem, BUT it would become a problem now if I did the TEFL, im horribly shy I cant even look others in the eye and I stutter alot, during the 2 days I have in the TEFL class we have to actually get up and teach twice which horrify's me, but the thing is I have to get up and do presentations on my uni course often (Animation) so I should be used to it but the more presentations I do the worse I seem to get.

So the question im asking is, is it too much of a stretch to have someone with social anxiety teach others language? I think language is important and im trying to currently learn as much as I can about other languages and culture so the thought of helping others speak another language is something that makes me really happy, but im terrified.
    It sounds like a really good opportunity so it would be awesome to take it up. You could always have a word with the leader and explain your worries and see if there might be a way to make it easier on you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    It sounds like a really good opportunity so it would be awesome to take it up. You could always have a word with the leader and explain your worries and see if there might be a way to make it easier on you
    I agree I was really excited when I found out my uni was running it, Your right I could have a word with them I didn't think about that, that would be really helpful if they are willing to hear me out, I just don't want to be too much of a burden on a class filled with people trying to learn how to teach and im pulling things down cause im shy or something, thanks for the responce!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyoka)

You could try the course and sees how it goes. It won't expire. What is the worst that could happen.
    However I wouldn't consider a job abroad yet. I have taught at the same school in Lisbon, Portugal for 3 years and over that period of time 2 teachers have dropped out in the first week due to anxiety and they already had a little experience from teaching on the course. If you get a job, move and then drop out you will have nothing to show for it other than hotel and flight bills.

ReputationRep:
    Just do it!! Don't overthink, it's the only way you're going to overcome your shyness, whether you do it now or in the future you're still going to have to do it. You may as well overcome your shyness sooner rather than later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sportycb)
    You could try the course and sees how it goes. It won't expire. What is the worst that could happen.
    However I wouldn't consider a job abroad yet. I have taught at the same school in Lisbon, Portugal for 3 years and over that period of time 2 teachers have dropped out in the first week due to anxiety and they already had a little experience from teaching on the course. If you get a job, move and then drop out you will have nothing to show for it other than hotel and flight bills.
    That's true I never think "whats the worst that can happen", I always just go straight to panic mode. I wasn't considering one yet, but in like 2 years or so, but your right I definitely need to get some experience before I go out an spend alot of money on this, thanks for the response!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henhenscorner)
    Just do it!! Don't overthink, it's the only way you're going to overcome your shyness, whether you do it now or in the future you're still going to have to do it. You may as well overcome your shyness sooner rather than later
    That's also true im definitely over thinking it,I have to many if's and buts. That's a good push of encouragement thank you!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.