Turn on thread page Beta

What does the monitor driver do? watch

Announcements

hello i hve a sony multiscan 100es monitor. rite now i am using the driver from windows . but when i searched for a driver i found one. what exactly does the monitor driver do. will it enhance my graphics performance. or should i just stick with my current driver

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    hello i hve a sony multiscan 100es monitor. rite now i am using the driver from windows . but when i searched for a driver i found one. what exactly does the monitor driver do. will it enhance my graphics performance. or should i just stick with my current driver
    I assume by 'driver from Windows' you're referring to the Windows 'Default Monitor' driver?

If so, you should install a proper driver from Sony, as you most likely will not have full access to all of the capabilities of your monitor if you just stick to the vanilla windows 'Default Monitor' driver. For example, you may not be able to access all of the available display resolutions or bit depths. The monitor may (will probably) also perform better with its proper driver installed.

If you're sure that what you've found is the most up-to-date driver for your particular model, then go ahead and install it, otherwise, you can find the latest driver in this ZIP file:

http://www.sony-cp.com/drivers/archive/sonymon.zip

Simply extract the ZIP file, then right-click on your desktop, select 'Settings' and then 'Advanced'. Select the 'Monitor' tab and then 'Properties'. Then select the 'Driver' tab and click 'Update Driver...'. Select 'Install from a specific list or specific location (Advanced)', then check 'Include this location in the search'. Using the 'Browse' button below, browse to where you extracted the driver files, then click 'Next' and it should list some Sony monitors, amongst which should be your model. Select your model to complete the driver installation and click 'Next' again. Follow the prompts to complete the driver installation. You can then delete the extracted driver files and the ZIP file (although you may want to hold on to it in case you ever need to re-install the monitor drivers) after performing the successful driver installation.

I hope this helps,

ReputationRep:
    what exactly does the monitor driver do.
    It allows your computer to 'talk' to your monitor and give it instructions. Just like you need a web browser to view sites on the internet, your system needs this software (ie the driver) to communicate with it.

will it enhance my graphics performance.
    More than likely. You may have to fiddle around with some settings though like rich explained (above)!

thanks rayden

will have a go. but ill have to kill you if my computer messes up

bloodhound

dear rayden. the computer doesnt seem to find the rite driver. altough i could force it to use a driver. whenever i try to force it . a warning comes up saying. it may not be compatible and stuff. and u got opeion of stopping or conituiniung. i dont wanna take the risk as the monitor works fine and i dont really want anything more from it. thanks anyway

blodhound

ReputationRep:
    dear rayden. the computer doesnt seem to find the rite driver. altough i could force it to use a driver. whenever i try to force it . a warning comes up saying. it may not be compatible and stuff. and u got opeion of stopping or conituiniung. i dont wanna take the risk as the monitor works fine and i dont really want anything more from it. thanks anyway

blodhound
    Yes, you should only use the driver for your monitor model. It should be in that file, if not, you could try visiting http://www.sony.co.uk and having a look around...

If you used the correct driver and the problem is just that message, it's just Windows warning you that it's not MS-certified. I get that all of the time and just ignore it, it's never been a problem...

It should be fine especially with a monitor driver, as you could just enter Safe Mode if there was a problem, which uses the Windows 'Default Monitor' driver, from which you could reset the Windows 'Default Monitor' as the driver to use in normal mode. It's up to you though...

ok cheers. YOU ROCK rayden

you ROCK ROCK ROCK

RROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCKKKK KKKKKKKKKKK

bloodhound

ReputationRep:

you ROCK ROCK ROCK

bloodhound
    No problem

ReputationRep:

you ROCK ROCK ROCK

He's right! YOU ROCK ROCK ROCK!!!!!!

ROOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    He's right! YOU ROCK ROCK ROCK!!!!!!

ROOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!
    Danke schön!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Danke schön!
    Here he goes agen.. :rolleyes: hehe

i put what rayden said in a translotre. and this is what i got

Thanks beautifully

is that rite?
    bloodhound

ReputationRep:
    i put what rayden said in a translotre. and this is what i got

Thanks beautifully

is that rite?
    bloodhound
    Sort of, it just means 'thanks a lot' or 'thanks very much'.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.