Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, so last year I got my GCSE results back, I didn't do very well (4Cs and 5Ds). I was very disappointed, I was predicted As and Bs. However, the reason I didn't do very well was because I was getting bullied at school, the school wanted to cover this up (school was meant to have a good record with bullies ie. sorting the problem out straight away), so they put me on early study leave. I was on it from November right up until the exams. During this time I missed coursework, when I tried to tell the school about it they never seemed to listen, so for a lot of subjects I had no coursework, along with the fact that I had no direction and missed important parts of the courses.

However, after I got the results I went to college, they didn't give me much choice. It was baically Health and Social Care or Childcare. I choice Health and Social Care. I've just completed the course and got a Distingunish. However this is where my main problem started, I went to enroll last term I knew I didn't want to do Health and Social Care again so I choose to do Applied ICT and an A Level in Buisness. While I was there the man who was doing the enrolling said I could have been on the course last September and couldn't understand why I was doing a course I didn't have to. This was just one of many mistakes made by the college over the course of the year.

The more I think about it though I don't really want to A)go back to that college B)don't want to do that course. I want to do alevels at another college but I don't know if I would be able to.

My main question is what do you all think I can do? I personally feel I would be abel to do alevels and get decent results, however will the new college see it that way?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Oof.

Sounds a bit late for all that. Get in touch with your old school and get them to write you a reference explaining the problem with study leave so that the college you want to go to knows you're not just academically crap. Phone them up and explain to them yourself what happened too. Then do some work on the subjects you're gonna be studying at that college over the summer. It's gonna be difficult for you, but it's certainly manageable... you just have to assure them that you're gonna work hard over the rest of the summer and that it was your previous school's fault, not your own, that you didn't get in. Basically, tell them what you told us in the first paragraph.

(There's some real ****ing ******* in charge of our education system right now.)

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame you didn't realise earlier and do one GCSE last year to get you up to 5 Cs.
    If you were at my college they would let you in for A levels, almost 5 Cs and special circumstances. Does the course you did this year count as equivilent to GCSEs or anything?
    I'm sure you can do well at college and hopefully they will understand and let you in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Levity)
    It's a shame you didn't realise earlier and do one GCSE last year to get you up to 5 Cs.
    If you were at my college they would let you in for A levels, almost 5 Cs and special circumstances. Does the course you did this year count as equivilent to GCSEs or anything?
    I'm sure you can do well at college and hopefully they will understand and let you in.
    I asked at the collegeI went to if I could resit/do a couple of GCSEs as the course only took up three day but they said no. It was something to do with only allowing level 3 students to resit.
    Yeah I think it was worth about 3. Also I got a couple of Key Skills awards at level 2. They were in 'Working with Others' and 'Communication'.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you find another school? Our school will take on anybody, regardless of their grades, situation or previous history. I imagine that there must be other similar schools!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkle.twinkle)
    I asked at the collegeI went to if I could resit/do a couple of GCSEs as the course only took up three day but they said no. It was something to do with only allowing level 3 students to resit.
    Yeah I think it was worth about 3. Also I got a couple of Key Skills awards at level 2. They were in 'Working with Others' and 'Communication'.
    So you have the equivilent of 5 Cs of GCSE, you should definitely try A levels at another college. If you don't like the other course you were doing, there's no point in continuing. Maybe A levels would be overwhelming for you, but there's a very big chance they won't be, so all you can do is try it out.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.