Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hya im looking into learning a new language either through uni or through au-pairing and was wondering what languages are the most useful and speakers are the most in demand.
    I was thinkin between spanish, portuguese and russian?
    Can anyone recommend? It would be good as well if interpretors and needed in the UK for which ever language.
    thanks xxx

ReputationRep:
    Insha'Allah Arabic

ReputationRep:
    English, French, Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Russian, German and Arabic are all very useful languages. I do Japanese myself and plan on taking a european language eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Russian is definitely going to be important shortly for one reason or another.
    Spanish is definitely the most widely spoken of the three.

Though implying that any language is useless is kinda dumb.

ReputationRep:
    Id say c++ once you can speak that learning to speak most other languages is easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    Id say c++ once you can speak that learning to speak most other languages is easy.
    Java's better in that respect I've found.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably say Spanish as it is the 2nd most spoken language in the world. Plus it's very easy and if you have another language like French it's even easier (for me it was).
    In terms of usefulness/'need' for interpretors I myself would put them in this order:

Spanish
    Russian

Portuguese

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophitiacat)
    I'd probably say Spanish as it is the 2nd most spoken language in the world.
    Not true, it's the second most spoken native language (just beating English) but overrall Mandarin and English has more speakers.

Edit: Well actually to be fair, it depends what sources you use.

ReputationRep:
    hmm i don't know, i know their is alot of demand for Java speakers and its an easier language to learn but c++ lets you write procedural as well as OOP.

OP - you might want to try both.

ReputationRep:
    In the business world, Mandarin is probably one of the most useful languages (aside from English) due to china's fast-moving economy. Otherwise, I'd say learn French, Japanese or Spanish. I speak fluent English and Swedish (forgot my French), but Swedish isn't really that useful lol so I wouldn't recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for Spanish if I were you - most widely spoken around the world (apparently), it sounds fantastic and not too hard to learn

ReputationRep:
    Choose Spanish, it'll make French, Portugese and other Romanic languages easier for you to grasp and is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world.

If you're more Asia oriented, Arabic and Mandarin should be great choices.

ReputationRep:
    French or Spanish would be the two most useful I imagine (talking in terms of most widely spoken).

I'm going to try to learn Italian at uni as half my family are from there and I have never got round to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophitiacat)
    I'd probably say Spanish as it is the 2nd most spoken language in the world.
    Actually, Spanish is the third most spoken, Chiense is the second :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally go for Spanish or Japanese. I'd consider German and Russian too...

ReputationRep:
    Latin... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TML)
    Latin... :p:

That would be the absolute best for people who are interested in languages linguistically

ReputationRep:
    On sheer levels of usefulness in the world, I'd go with Mandarin Chinese. It's the most spoken language in the world.

As stated before, Mandarin Chinese is also very useful in the business world due to the fact that the Chinese economy is growing at an enormous rate.

French and German are also very useful, from what I've experienced. Scandinavian languages are only useful if you have a deepseeded interest in that area, as most Scandinavians learn English in school. English is so popular these days, but having a language like French or German is really good.

ReputationRep:
    French/German, Mandarin Chinese is only the most spoken language in the world due to China's vast population (yes, derrr) but that doesn't class it as useful unless you plan on going there. How many times have you encountered a situation where you need to speak Mandarin? China will have embrace the English language if they want to really succeed in business so I don't think it is really that useful. Go with French, German or Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    I think people should remember that while Mandarin may be the most spoken language its largely because of the huge population in china and chinese in other countries. What language to learn depends on where you want to work. Spanish would work well for central and south america whereas french would work well throughout most of africa, russia would be beneficial to a lot of eastern europe, and so on.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.