Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm earning 150 pounds a week for 3 days and apparently i have to pay income tax & ni?

i'm 17 years old and i check the Gov website and it said i should only be paying income tax if im earning more than 917 pounds a month which im not, and i should only be paying ni if im earning 155 or more a week which im also not? is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kadi_x)
    I'm earning 150 pounds a week for 3 days and apparently i have to pay income tax & ni?

i'm 17 years old and i check the Gov website and it said i should only be paying income tax if im earning more than 917 pounds a month which im not, and i should only be paying ni if im earning 155 or more a week which im also not? is this true?
    Are you earning this regularly, or is it on an ad hoc basis. It depends on how the employer is handling the PAYE. Your gross salary, were this paid for 52 weeks, is £7,800 which is below the IT and NI threshold, so you could claim reimbursement of this at the end of the tax year but you should be able to organise it with the employer so you are paid gross. You need to speak to their payroll department

ReputationRep:
    I earned more than you but less than the requirement went i was 17.
    h
    Call hmrc and tell them what you've told us. You should get a tax and ni refund on your next pay.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by kadi_x)

Basically if you are earning less than £11,000 a year (which you are) then you shouldnt be paying tax.
    HMRC may have assumed you will be earning enough to pay tax though, especially if you have only recently started the job.
    Either way, you have the wrong tax code.
    Phone up HMRC and get them to sort it. You should get any overpaid tax back on your next pay day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elise213)
    I earned more than you but less than the requirement went i was 17.
    h
    Call hmrc and tell them what you've told us. You should get a tax and ni refund on your next pay.
    You can't get NI refunded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mega0448)
    You can't get NI refunded.
    realised after i posted it lol

ReputationRep:
    There's probably an issue with your tax code, it's a common problem. As you earn less than £11'000 pa, you shouldn't be paying income tax.

Ring up HMRC and explain your situation, they should be able to sort it out quickly. Just remember to have your NI number handy.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...-and-employees

I'd say call 6ish or later, or early in the morning. Otherwise their lines can be very busy some days. (I called at 6 and got through instantly)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 31, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.