Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    First of all a bit about me......

Im gonna b starting at leicester uni in september having missed out on my firm choice which was Aston Uni. Leicester uni was my insurrance choise btw.
    Il be on the Banking and Finance BA course. I have been to leicester uni but i did not manage to see the accomodation.

When most people talk about accomodation theyre all to brief so id like to be specific to help people who wish to answer.
    I want catered accomodation, a room with a wash basin , Somewhere, with a good, friendly atmosphere, mixture of boys and girls (mostly people from the Uk), Somewhere with good facilities eg. pool table, sky tv. Also i have to think about costs so i dnt want the most expensive accomodation.

From what i know and what i have read, i have a choice of 4 halls of residence : Digby, Beaumont, Gilbert Murray and Stamford (which may also be counted as 2?) and lastly New hall. Ive seen a pricing table on the leicester website but its difficult to understand (doesnt even mention digby hall)

http://www.le.ac.uk/ua/rs/fees/fees_halls_07.html

So my question is which accomodation should i choose ?

(please try not to be biased and try and base it on the criteia that i have requested)

ReputationRep:
    Based on what ive seen on the 2 occassions ive visited- Beaumont is what id reccommend personally.

And Im not biased, because im staying in New Hall :p:

ReputationRep:
    k cheers for the recomendation.

Do u no where i can gets pictures of each of the 4 types of accomodation so i can compare.

O yeah 1 more ting

Ur up on face book rnt u, on the leicester Uni and freshers groups aswell

Louise Young rite

Im Nikesh , I Gts 2 many nick names so take ur pick - Niks, N.i.k, Nik, Nike- esh

Im From MK goin on the bANKING AND fINANCE course

ReputationRep:
    Im clueless about accommodation aswell, i applied through clearing. Im goimg up there tomorrow to have alook!
    im looking for self catered, standard.

Also sorry to hijack the thread, but the Oadby student villagehow far away from campus is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~NC~)

Also sorry to hijack the thread, but the Oadby student villagehow far away from campus is that?
    says on the leicester website

http://www.le.ac.uk/ua/rs/faq.html

How far is my accommodation from the University?

Approximate Distance from University Campus
    Freemen’s Common 250 metres 5 minute walk to main campus
    Nixon Court 500 metres 10 minute walk to main campus
    Opal Court 500 metres 5 minute walk to main campus
    Salisbury Houses 750 metres 10 minute walk to main campus
    Goscote House 1.5km 20 minute walk to main campus
    Ratcliffe Residences 2km 25 minute walk to main campus
    Oadby Student Village 3.5km 40 minute walk to main campus

There is a public bus service that runs at regular intervals throughout the day between the main University campus, the Ratcliffe Residences and the Oadby Student Village. The bus operator is ARRIVA and it is possible to buy termly passes through the company that provide discounted fare rates.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm ok thanks :hmmmm: thats quite a long way then, I was considering Nixon court but i dont know :s: Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Know What It Is)
    k cheers for the recomendation.

Do u no where i can gets pictures of each of the 4 types of accomodation so i can compare.

O yeah 1 more ting

Ur up on face book rnt u, on the leicester Uni and freshers groups aswell

Louise Young rite

Im Nikesh , I Gts 2 many nick names so take ur pick - Niks, N.i.k, Nik, Nike- esh

Im From MK goin on the bANKING AND fINANCE course

Indeed that is me
    Well in the accommodation pack there are a few pictures of the accommodation but your best bet is probably to have a look around a couple of facebook groups for each specific hall, most have some pictures up, but if not you could always make a post asking for former residents to post pics, im sure they would be glad to help you out

ReputationRep:
    says on the leicester website

http://www.le.ac.uk/ua/rs/faq.html

How far is my accommodation from the University?

Approximate Distance from University Campus
    Freemen’s Common 250 metres 5 minute walk to main campus
    Nixon Court 500 metres 10 minute walk to main campus
    Opal Court 500 metres 5 minute walk to main campus
    Salisbury Houses 750 metres 10 minute walk to main campus
    Goscote House 1.5km 20 minute walk to main campus
    Ratcliffe Residences 2km 25 minute walk to main campus
    Oadby Student Village 3.5km 40 minute walk to main campus

There is a public bus service that runs at regular intervals throughout the day between the main University campus, the Ratcliffe Residences and the Oadby Student Village. The bus operator is ARRIVA and it is possible to buy termly passes through the company that provide discounted fare rates.
    Gosh who's walking at those rates? I went to see New Hall and the Oadby student site btw. 3.5km is less than the 4 km I had to walk to school, and I managed to do that school walk in 20 mins at a relaxed pace- most of it was uphill too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisedotcom)
    Indeed that is me
    Well in the accommodation pack there are a few pictures of the accommodation but your best bet is probably to have a look around a couple of facebook groups for each specific hall, most have some pictures up, but if not you could always make a post asking for former residents to post pics, im sure they would be glad to help you out
    Do you think that you could post some of the pics of the accommodation up from Facebook on here please if they don't mind and that is allowed?:hmmmm: Because not all of us have Facebook.

ReputationRep:
    Hey hopefully I can help....

I was a first year last year, and if you want to stay with mostly UK students go to the Oadby Student Village the whole place has such a great atmosphere.

New Hall or John Foster Hall is brand spanking new and has all the fittings, but its more expensive and less social, Digby doesn't have a very good rep and their JCRC (the student group in each hall that arranges events closed down if I remember right).

GMS (Gilbert Murray/Stamford) is a nice hall, the biggest after New Hall and has a good social side, but seriously it looks like a prison block! The S Bar at Stamford has Sky etc.

Beaumont on the other side of the road to GMS is where I stayed and seriously I am not going to be biased but being a slightly smaller hall everyone seemed to know everyone and the social side was amazing, you could possibly live in blocks of 40+ people (20 boys/20 girls) and in our block (BLOCK 7!!!) everyone got on...meaning 40 new friends rather than the 5 you might get in New Hall as you are in flats of 6. Beaumont is seriously well organised and it is also set in the Botanical Gardens which make it the 'prettiest' hall too, and with Andy McCluskey as the President of the JCR next year I can promise you the events will be immense!

I would advise Beaumont to anyone seriously you would not be making a mistake picking it, GMS would be my second choice, then New Hall, finally Digby. Have fun though, you have made a great decision choosing Leicester last year was most definetely the best of my life!

Also anyone wanting to know stuff about History at Leics I am happy to help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ncfcstar)

I was a first year last year, and if you want to stay with mostly UK students go to the Oadby Student Village the whole place has such a great atmosphere.

New Hall or John Foster Hall is brand spanking new and has all the fittings, but its more expensive and less social, Digby doesn't have a very good rep and there JCRC (the student group in each hall that arranges events closed down if I remember right).

GMS (Gilbert Murray/Stamford) is a nice hall, the biggest after New Hall and has a good social side, but seriously it looks like a prison block! The S Bar at Stamford has Sky etc.

Beaumont on the other side of the road to GMS is where I stayed and seriously I am not going to be biased but being a slightly smaller hall everyone seemed to know everyone and the social side was amazing, you could possibly live in blocks of 40+ people (20 boys/20 girls) and in our block (BLOCK 7!!!) everyone got on...meaning 40 new friends rather than the 5 you might get in New Hall as you are in flats of 6. Beaumont is seriously well organised and it is also set in the Botanical Gardens which make it the 'prettiest' hall too.

I would advise Beaumont to anyone seriously you would not be making a mistake picking it, GMS would be my second choice, then New Hall, finally Digby. Have fun though, you have made a great decision choosing Leicester last year was most definetely the best of my life!

Your an historian:cool: ? How are you finding it? if you want to know anything about the second year give me a bell if you want. What modules are you studying next year?

ReputationRep:

New Hall or John Foster Hall is brand spanking new and has all the fittings, but its more expensive and less social, Digby doesn't have a very good rep and their JCRC (the student group in each hall that arranges events closed down if I remember right).

Beaumont on the other side of the road to GMS is where I stayed and seriously I am not going to be biased but being a slightly smaller hall everyone seemed to know everyone and the social side was amazing, you could possibly live in blocks of 40+ people (20 boys/20 girls) and in our block (BLOCK 7!!!) everyone got on...meaning 40 new friends rather than the 5 you might get in New Hall as you are in flats of 6. Beaumont is seriously well organised and it is also set in the Botanical Gardens which make it the 'prettiest' hall too, and with Andy McCluskey as the President of the JCR next year I can promise you the events will be immense!

Cheers m8 thats narrowed it down

Itl b beaumont, GM or Stamford where im goin then.

Any 1 care to help me out a bit more so i can narrow it down further.
    at the moment im for beaumont but GM & Stamford are quite close 2.

Whats the room sizes like at Gm,Stamford and beaumont and also what other facilities are there or notable positives about each of these 3 halls over each other

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I have ever been in a room in GMS but in my room at Beaumont I had about 8 or 9 people in there comfortably playing Pro Evo so you can sort of imagine the size, it is not small but not massive either but perfectly big enough! It will be standard, if you are not going for en-suite, for the rooms to have a wash basin/mirror etc throughout all the halls. You will also be sharing a bathroom with the other students but that just gets funnier throughout the year especially once you work out which taps make the showers run cold lol.

Beaumont I would say has the best social side, and being a minutes walk from GMS the S Bar where Sky is, is not really a benefit for them as it is so easily accessible. GMS I think has slightly bigger rooms, and more people in the hall. It is also slightly closer to the Manor Road sports facilities if you are thinking about using the gym etc.

I would argue though that Beaumont is literally the other side of the road to GMS so it doesn't miss out on access to anywhere etc, and the facilities of all the halls are open to everyone. From what I saw Beaumont next year will be amazing!

I'm making myself sound like a Beaumont propagandist, but seriously you wouldn't regret going there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinelem)
    Do you think that you could post some of the pics of the accommodation up from Facebook on here please if they don't mind and that is allowed?:hmmmm: Because not all of us have Facebook.
    I could only find a few pics on facebook in the end, but here are the ones I found:
    This is Bowder Court

This is New Hall/ John foster

This is Beaumont

If you want to see some more, there are pics of each hall on the actual University of Leicester website.

If you Click here
    It'll take you to the site, all you have to do is click on the links to the left for each hall and it'll tell you all about it, and there will be some pics too.

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I have ever been in a room in GMS but in my room at Beaumont I had about 8 or 9 people in there comfortably playing Pro Evo so you can sort of imagine the size, it is not small but not massive either but perfectly big enough! It will be standard, if you are not going for en-suite, for the rooms to have a wash basin/mirror etc throughout all the halls. You will also be sharing a bathroom with the other students but that just gets funnier throughout the year especially once you work out which taps make the showers run cold lol.

Beaumont I would say has the best social side, and being a minutes walk from GMS the S Bar where Sky is, is not really a benefit for them as it is so easily accessible. GMS I think has slightly bigger rooms, and more people in the hall. It is also slightly closer to the Manor Road sports facilities if you are thinking about using the gym etc.

I would argue though that Beaumont is literally the other side of the road to GMS so it doesn't miss out on access to anywhere etc, and the facilities of all the halls are open to everyone. From what I saw Beaumont next year will be amazing!
    k m8

Glad 2 here i can use GMS facilities,and from everything else uv said im almost 100% convinced on going to beaumont.

Theres only one problem im quite a sporty person and will probs b using the sports facilities and gym, so i wanted to know how close GMS is to the sporting facilities and gym. How close Beaumont is to GMS. And how close or far away is beaumont from the gym / sports facilities. (walking distances or minutes by walking)

Also whats the cheapest out of Beaumont, GM, and stamford

BTW luv pro evo, I can see me doin that aswell when im there

ReputationRep:
    k m8

Glad 2 here i can use GMS facilities,and from everything else uv said im almost 100% convinced on going to beaumont.

Theres only one problem im quite a sporty person and will probs b using the sports facilities and gym, so i wanted to know how close GMS is to the sporting facilities and gym. How close Beaumont is to GMS. And how close or far away is beaumont from the gym / sports facilities. (walking distances or minutes by walking)

BTW luv pro evo, I can see me doin that aswell when im there
    GMS is probably a 5 min walk from the gym, which makes it about 5.5 mins from Beaumont, all you have to do to get to GMS from Beaumont is cross Stoughton Drive South which is the road running between the two halls, so literally it is just across the road. That 5 min walk gets you to the gym and indoor facilities, are you going to be playing cricket? The football, cricket and rugby pitches are probably another 10 minutes walk on top of that, but they are only really used for matches, which not only include matches for the Uni, but also intramural matches between the Halls and Societies which are a good laugh, the Beaumont team wasn't too great last year though we only managed to win one match lol!

ReputationRep:
    u probably missed this cos i just edited my earlier post. I also asked

whats the cheapest out of Beaumont, GM, and stamford/

ReputationRep:

Why doesn't Digby have a very good reputation then?

Can you take a mini-fridge in your room?:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Last year they were the same price if I remember right.

Digby is at the bottom of Stoughton Drive South about 5 mins walk from the other halls in the area, so it doesn't get involved so much in the banter, and also the JCR was defunct last year which meant Digby had to share some events with Beaumont and still hardly any of them turned up. It just seems out of the way.

You aren't supposed to have a mini-fridge, but I know lots of people who did, just hide it when room inspections take place!

ReputationRep:
    thanks NCFC

Youve helped me made my desicion. Im definetly going to Beaumont now.

Btw wot does NCFC stand for - is it Notts County Football Club

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.