Turn on thread page Beta

Universities by Prestige/Reputation watch

ReputationRep:
    The reputation of a university hasn't influenced my choices that much so you can say what you like without worrying you'll put me off of somewhere -I've already done my UCAS too, but I was thinking about how some universities like Loughborough, UEA and Birmingham are all really high in the tables but lower ranked universities like King's, Bristol and Edinburgh all sound far more impressive to people outside of University circles. What's more important, reputation (to get the attention of the best possible employers) or actual rankings status (to get the best possible honours) and how would you rank the universities by prestige/reputation? Personally I'd go:
    1) Cambridge/Oxford
    2)Imperial, LSE and UCL
    3)Durham, St Andrews, Bristol and Warwick
    4)Edinburgh, Lancaster, King's, York, Bath etc
    5) Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, Birmingham, Nottingham etc (like the red bricks)
    6)Queen Mary, Queen's Belfast, Liverpool, Cardiff, Swansea, Glasgow, Leicester
    Would you say I'm about right, if not what would you change and why?

ReputationRep:
    This has been answered a hundred times...

ReputationRep:
    Move Manchester into 4, York into 5, and get rid of Lancaster, Swansea, and Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confusedschubert)
    This has been answered a hundred times...
    Great contribution thanks pal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    Move Manchester into 4, York into 5, and get rid of Lancaster, Swansea, and Leicester.
    I can understand getting rid of Leicester but Swansea is still a Russel Group :P and Lancaster I always thought was very well respected with their mega grade boundaries and all :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edanski)
    Great contribution thanks pal
    You bringing in a dead fish doesn't entitle you to a proper answer buddy. I just can't understand what you have to ask such a beaten question - have you even tried searching for this? It's popped up literally hundreds of times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confusedschubert)
    You bringing in a dead fish doesn't entitle you to a proper answer buddy. I just can't understand what you have to ask such a beaten question - have you even tried searching for this? It's popped up literally hundreds of times.
    I haven't seen any threads on it that aren't from 2014 or earlier, reputation and prestige change over time and I wanted to see people's thoughts. If this is such a dull topic for you I really can't understand why you'd bother to even click on the thread.

ReputationRep:
    1) Oxbridge
    1.5) Imperial/LSE
    2) Your RGs + Bath, St Andrews, Loughborough, Lancaster
    3) The rest of the pre-1992s
    4) The post 1992s

Group 4 is a lot more complex tho. There are universities in there than have courses on par with the RGs, if not better. Examples are:

- British Parlimentary and Legislative Studies at University of Hull
    - Film Production at one of the Bournemouth Unis
    - Game Development at Abertay University
    - Automotive Engineering at Coventry University
    - Marine Science at Plymouth University

Your uni prestige isn't based on the law school. People have this weird illusion like going to Liverpool or QUB will somehow make an employer think less of you over someone from KCL.

ReputationRep:
    http://poetsandquants.com/2016/10/25...ba-class-2018/

Check this out.

ReputationRep:
    1. Oxford, Cambridge, LBS
    2. LSE
    3. Warwick, Imperial, UCL

- gap -

4. Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Manchester, Cranfield

5. Nottingham, King's, Bath, Newcastle, Exeter, Glasgow

http://poetsandquants.com/2016/10/25...ba-class-2018/

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.