The Student Room Group

Male midwives?

I thought about going into midwifery, but it seems like a lot of women detest male midwives and even sometimes the idea of a male gynaecologist. It's a shame that some women still feel this way.

I was wondering if there are any other males interested in doing midwifery or know a male midwife? If so, how are they doing?

Ladies, do you prefer a female midwife? female gynaecologist as well? Or you don't care?
I'd prefer a female unless the guy was really hot
Original post by Anonymous
I'd prefer a female unless the guy was really hot

You do realise they're not allowed to have sex with you?
Reply 3
Studies show that over half of women don't have a preference for gynaecologist gender- in fact, the greater the level of education, the older and the more pelvic/breast examinations a woman has, the less likely she is to care. The majority of gynaecologists were I work are male. (Sources https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296153/ and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2801597/)

Male midwives are a somewhat rarer species, but they do exist, and I met one the other day.
um i'd find it uncomfortable especially while in pain, woman to woman is usually easier understood, its like a mental acknowledgement to be honest. (also dont think my partner would be too happy either)
I've had more pelvic examinations from male doctors than I have from female doctors - who actually usually seem very dismissive of my crippling menstrual agony and the fact I suffer from vaginismus. I don't know if it's the fact I connect more with men in general because of how I am, but a lot of the female medical professionals I've had to deal with have actually seemed quite cold.

If I were having a baby, I'd want the best qualified person available to do the business. Man, woman, I really wouldn't care. On the balance of probabilities, however, I'd imagine it would most likely be a woman doing it, just because they outweigh men in certain areas.
Original post by asmuse123
You do realise they're not allowed to have sex with you?

yeah so?
Reply 7
Original post by navarre
Studies show that over half of women don't have a preference for gynaecologist gender- in fact, the greater the level of education, the older and the more pelvic/breast examinations a woman has, the less likely she is to care. The majority of gynaecologists were I work are male. (Sources https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296153/ and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2801597/)

Male midwives are a somewhat rarer species, but they do exist, and I met one the other day.

Did you speak to the male midwife?
Believe me when I say when you're in the final stages in labour, you don't give a **** whether it's male, female, or a three-horned devil that's at your bedside.
Original post by Seamus123
Believe me when I say when you're in the final stages in labour, you don't give a **** whether it's male, female, or a three-horned devil that's at your bedside.

Do i sense an experienced person here? :holmes:
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Do i sense an experienced person here? :holmes:

Lol, a little bit, yes, 7 kids. X
Original post by Seamus123
Lol, a little bit, yes, 7 kids. X

Congratz on pushing seven kids out of your vagina :ahee:

Spoiler

I don't think male midwives would have been well received in my day. My oldest is 44 and my youngest is 32. I have 16 grandchildren and two of them had a male midwife attending.
Reply 13
i don't see the problem.
There's not loads of male midwives on the register, but they're becoming more common, however it's likely where've you work that you'll be the only male. It's not something that's ever interested me, experiencing mrs moonkatt in labour was enough to tell me that I wouldn't cope with labouring women very well.

If it's what you want to do, then go for it. You'll get patients who don't want you to care for them because of your gender, I encounter this from time to time as a nurse, just as some of my female colleagues do as well. Especially when the business end of your speciality is such an intimate area. Have you tried to get any work experience yet? That's the first thing you need along with the right academic grades to get into midwifery, it's quite a competitive course to get into.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending