Turn on thread page Beta

What am I supposed to say on new job interview if I left previous for sexual reasons? watch

ReputationRep:
    So you may have seen my previous post in which I ask what am I supposed to do about my boss' sexual advances toward me at work. I've graduated recently and this is a very well paid job - 35k GBP plus - and I enjoyed doing it but I am tired of my boss sexual advances. There is no HR to report to or anyone above him as this is a small firm so he has total control over me so the only option is to leave : (

Here's the problem

How do I respond to some of the most difficult questions? Namely why I left my previous employment, and what if they ask for references etc? How is it going to look in front of the interviewer/recruiter most of whom are not compassionate nor understanding at all that I left my previous job because of sexual advances of my boss?

Is this the reason why some may decide just to sleep with their boss to avoid all of this hustle? Please advise me what to do I am tired of this, where am I going to find next employment if I don't keep this one?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by HANNAHBENLOLO)
    How long have you been in this job? What is the current job, and what is the job you are interviewing at? The details are important in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    How long have you been in this job? What is the current job, and what is the job you are interviewing at? The details are important in this situation.
    I've been working at my current job since late June shortly after graduation. I am applying for many different jobs while currently holding to this one because it's very well paid compared to other entry level graduate jobs, but the boss is very possessive.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by HANNAHBENLOLO)
    I've been working at my current job since late June shortly after graduation. I am applying for many different jobs while currently holding to this one because it's very well paid compared to other entry level graduate jobs, but the boss is very possessive.
    OK, but none of that is relevant to your question, what do you say at a job interview.

You need, for each job you are invited to interview for, to find a specific difference between that job and the job you are doing at the moment, and cite that as the reason for the change eg 'I really want to have greater client engagement which doesn't happen in my current role, but this role offers' or I've realised I am very interested in the international aspects of [this business] and obviously you have a big international profile'.

Absolutely nothing negative about the previous job, it has to be a positive reason about the new job. An ideal one is one that shows some new professional insight from the short time you've been working (hence the early move)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.