The Student Room Group

Locum queries

Hi all, if anyone is interested in locum work but has questions about the industry then please ask.
Yes I do work for a locum agency but this is for my understanding of what doctors are looking for to improve my career. I'm not trying to sell you anything....
Doctors are looking for sensible rates that reflect their level of training and the risks involved when you practice medicine.
Reply 2
Original post by Etomidate
Doctors are looking for sensible rates that reflect their level of training and the risks involved when you practice medicine.

I can completely understand that but what would say is a sensible rate? Sho working at capped rates is £25 approx? These are set my the hospitals. We have numerous she's demanding £55 plus
Reply 3
Original post by Waleyjunior
I can completely understand that but what would say is a sensible rate? Sho working at capped rates is £25 approx? These are set my the hospitals. We have numerous she's demanding £55 plus

Good for them. It's supply and demand. Despite the cap locums are still needed. I know of SHO's getting that much because the hospital needs them.

I did some locums at my trust earlier this year for £40/hr, but only because it suited my needs. I wouldn't prescribe paracetamol for £25/hr.

Considering I can earn that now as an agency nurse on a Sunday, I wouldn't accept the responsibility of being the SHO on call for the same price.

You've got to understand juniors already work themselves in to the ground doing their contracted (plus the unpaid over time) hours. To give up their very precious, very limited rest time there has to be a decent incentive. And as time in lieu doesn't happen, the only real reward is money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Waleyjunior;68293370]I can completely understand that but what would say is a sensible rate? Sho working at capped rates is £25 approx? These are set my the hospitals. We have numerous she's demanding £55 plus

As an SHO, I don't accept anything less than £45/hr. Ultimately my free time isn't worth any less and you're putting your GMC number on the line every day you practice medicine. It's also a buyers market.
Reply 6
My hospital didn't have a med reg overnight earlier this week. The amount the hospital could lose for a lawsuit if something went wrong as a result of this is a drop in the ocean compared with paying a bit more for a locum.
Reply 7
Hears a question for you all. Should a SHO with one years experience be paid the same for a locum shift as a SHO with say 4 years experience? I would love yo hear your responses. . . .
Hears a question for you all. Should a SHO with one years experience be paid the same for a locum shift as a SHO with say 4 years experience? I would love yo hear your responses. . . .

If they have the same responsibility for that shift. However, if more is expected of the SHO with 4 years experience, then that should be compensated appropriately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Helenia
My hospital didn't have a med reg overnight earlier this week.

Wow...!

I wouldn't go to a new hospital (that I don't usually work in) as an agency locum for £55/hr. ForestCat is right that most juniors already work very long hours (both paid and unpaid) and their spare time is already consumed by audit, portfolios, and studying for exams.

It is horribly stressful to pitch up in a hospital that you don't know, can't navigate, and whose computer systems you can't access. You then have to take responsibility for patients - often out of hours, without any support, and not knowing who to approach for help. The potential for error and blame are huge.

That £55 is £30 after tax and before the locum pays for transport to a strange hospital, parking, indemnity, student loan, etc. For full-time locums, that £30 also needs to cover their pension, annual leave, and sick leave entitlements.

I certainly can't imagine many people volunteering to work extra hours for £25/hr.
Original post by Beska
Wow...!

I'm glad I'm not there at the moment - I only found out because I'm still in the anaesthetic SpR Whatsapp group so still get all the hospital gossip. :wink: It's not the first time though.
There are some jobs I'd do for £25 per hour. The daytime ward job on my ortho and gynae placements was really quite chilled so sure why not.

Of course, its not the easy jobs that look for locums though. Its always the **** storm as medical ward cover SHO that you're facing and yes, its simply not worth it to do it for less than £50.

I think hospitals should be willing to pay more for more qualified staff. Be that because of experience, previously worked at that hospital, other reasons. Doing so will pay you back in having better service, less risk of untoward instances etc.

Not sure how often that happens though.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending